Customs: Need help tightening odd joints

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Hortonman, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Hortonman

Hortonman New Member

I recently acquire the universe 2.0 Superion and Bruticus Maximus repaints, and was dismayed to find several loose joints. I know what I can do to fix most of them, but there are a few loose joints that I have no idea what to do with. If you are reading this and have any experience with modding, or just have some helpful tips, please help me out. If I'm posting this in the wrong place, I'm sorry; this is my first post.

Here are the joints I need help with, if you need more pictures, I can provide them.
    The first one is Brawl's left arm cannon. This gun is attached to his arm by a peg-like thing that is so loose that I can spin it around three times with a flick.
    Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    As you can see, the peg is a sort of three-part thing that hooks over a lip in the gun

The other loose joint is Skydive's turret helmet thing.
    photo 7.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    photo 9.jpg
    It looks as if the turret is bent outward a bit, but I'm not sure how I'd fix this.

If anyone has any ideas, please post them. These joints are driving me crazy and any help would be appreciated.

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Jeez, from the photos, nothing looks wrong with Skydive's turret (I own 4 incarnations of that mold, and all four are/were loose to an extent). Try some glue on the peg (just a thin layer, very thin, let dry, then reattach to the head). I already lost my old Energon Sky Shadow's turret a long time ago.

The same goes for the tank cannon. A bit of glue of the peg should do the trick. Never had that one loose before though, not on the three i own.

Just use common sense please: Don't glue the parts together... ;) 

3. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    try the below link first before you glue anything.
    glue is permanent and really only works with ball joints.

BOOSH.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your link made me smile :) 

5. Hortonman

Hortonman New Member

That link will be really helpful if I ever need to tighten a ball joint, but it doesn't really help in this situation. The reason I originally posted this was because I don't have the customing experience to know best how to fix these joints, or the income to afford a botched attempt. From the info you gave me, I have an idea of how to fix Brawl (I can live with Skydive's loosness). If I used a small flat-ended paintbrush to apply a thin layer of superglue/nailpolish/future finish (I have glue/polish but would need to hunt down FF. Is it worth it?) to this area of the peg:
    Photo 3-1.jpg
    Would this work? If not, what would?

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    For that particular joint, you may be better off fixing both the joint and the item it hinges.

Superglue or Future Floor polish would both work. Honestly, my experience with nail polish is that it doesn't last well. I may just need to inspect more kinds, but I still don't think it's the better solution of the the three (superglue, Future, nail polish).

Also, with your quandary, just remember that Future is essentially clear, acrylic paint. Paint can be removed. Superglue bonds on a molecular level to the substance it's applied to.

I hope that helps :) 

7. Hortonman

Hortonman New Member

Thanks, that clears up my material choices. By the way, if FF is an acrylic paint, would regular acrylic paint have the same effect? (my dad owns a lot of paint and it would be easy to get a hold of some) Wait a minute, I just realized that the loose gun is the only one between the four I have that can come off. On closer inspection it appears that the "mushroom head" of the peg was put on slightly lopsided. If I widen the lower portion of the peg, I'm not sure if the gun will even stay on. With this in mind should I try to widen the lip or go ahead with widening the lower peg and the lip in the gun? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just really can't afford to replace this guy.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Just to answer your question on Future floor, it's not precisely the same as just a clear, gloss coat of say Testors clear coat. One of my favorite things about Future is that it is self-leveling, which alleviates brushstrokes a LOT. Also, it dries a lot harder than just other clear acrylic paint.

9. Hortonman

Hortonman New Member

Ok. Just to clarify, how easy to remove is FF? I'm considering just using it to try various fixes and just taking it off if they don't work.