Customs: Need help removing these

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by amir_anti_yosi, Sep 2, 2009.

1. amir_anti_yosi

amir_anti_yosi Well-Known Member

Ummm, I'm in need of help on removing these parts on TFTM bumblebee,the ones encircled in red, they're easy to find just go get em and look at the picture and post reply to this thread to help a fellow radicon in need! :D  I'll be doing my first major custom and I just started, I'll be posting it soon once it resembles bumblebee

the part above is the main/upper torso of BB, but the head was removed removed as well as the arms (actually the arms are missing, its my kid brothers and I decided to recycle it)

the 2 parts below are his leg guards. those are the parts in front of the rear wheels

I hope I could count on our senior customizers for some help ^_^ thank you to all

also, maybe you could provide away to remove them without the use of non-everyday tools or tools that are not easily found in the house ^_^

thanks

Attached Files:

2. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    hmm well if you want to KEEP the pins in good condition, I beleive they heat them up with a (soldering?)iron or something and just pull out with tweasers or something.dont try this until better(than me)radicons confirm it.

3. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

^^^I wouldn't say that I'm better than you, but I will confirm that heating the pins is the best way that I've found to remove them. I've tried it several times and that is the method that works best for me!

4. amir_anti_yosi

Sir, may I ask, how did you heat up the pins? what tools did you use? Do you have any alternative? and how hot was it? (boiling? hotter than boiling?) I also have read somewhere that that would work so I tried heating a screw with a candle but to no avail. The parts are still pretty tight. I think the Pin should be heated so that the plastic around it would melt thereby making it easy to pull away?

5. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I wouldn't recomend boiling, as the plastic might warp. I'd go with the soldering iron. You can get one at Walmart or a hobby/craft store for under $20.

6. bombatron

bombatron adobocon

News Credits:
    soldering iron on the pins for 30-40 seconds and a good pull should get the pins out. just be careful not to touch the plastic with the iron, it melts fast!

7. kaotic504

kaotic504 Well-Known Member

what is the wattage of soldering irons you guys use? b/c i have a 25w RadioShack soldering iron and i've held it on the pin for ~40 seconds and it still wouldn't come out. i'm thinking about trying my 45w Desoldering iron on there, but it doesn't have a point.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    *looks to the right sidebar at the "Tutorials" section*

9. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :banghead:  Didn't notice there was a sidebar :banghead: 

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    My mind = bottled.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Did you say "mindbottling"?

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yeah, you know, when things are just so crazy that your thoughts get trapped, like in a bottle? :p 

all joking aside, It continues to amaze me that there is ANYone left out there who doesn't know about the sidebar, considering it is full of brightly colored graphics, and has been there for nearly TWO FULL YEARS.

13. amir_anti_yosi

ummm, I dont want to interrupt your discussion about mind and bottles but, I really cant go out and buy a soldering iron cause I'd probably use only this once after that ... I dont know when else... So I need any other alternative in removing these? (what If I use an Iron (the 1 we use for clothes? for ironing clothes?)It has a pointed tip right? do you think that would work??? As when I remove it I'll be able to post my custom. ^_^

and I'm from the philippines

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Unless you're not planning on making any other customs past this one, I'd have to highly recommend finding one. It's been one of the most useful tools I have that I use for customs. A rotary tool and a center hole punch are also just as useful. I use these all very often :) 

15. amir_anti_yosi

I really dont see me making another one, ^_^ what do you think about my clothes Iron Idea? think It would work?

16. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    hell no. It may melt your figure though.
    I can find soldering irons for a few dollars even in bleeding-expensive
    Singapore, surely there must be something cheap available in the Philippines.