Customs: Need help removing decals

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by zgraham, Sep 16, 2008.

1. zgraham

zgraham Well-Known Member

I am making a Trailblazer out of Stockade and need to remove the factory decals. I have tried mineral spirits, but they didn't work. I removed the decals from a Salvage with mineral spirits and steel wool, but it scratched the paint. It didn't matter though because I was repainting it. But I don't want to repaint the Stockade, so I am looking for a method that will keep the paint intact. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

You could try high % isopropyl alcohol, but be careful -- normally it won't affect plastic, but the Movie TF seem particularly susceptible to brittle plastic when subjected to alcohol in that manner.

As long as you're careful and just use cotton swabs/paper towels you should be fine...

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Rubbing alcohol, q-tips, and elbow grease.

4. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Look for the 90% stuff. Wipe it on and let it sit a bit, then scrub it with more. Will usually work but takes awhile.

5. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

again my substitute for the 90% alcohol is denatured alcohol much easier to find. almost any hardware store carries it :) 

6. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Decals? White Spirit or even brasso work fine for me,brasso takes a while though.
    White Spirit is FAST! wiped those police letters off movie Barricade instantly.

7. zgraham

zgraham Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I used the 90% alcohol and a little elbow grease and they came right off. Thanks again for the help.