Need Help: PS3 doesn't display 1080P

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Lord Of Tetris, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I've always had a PS3, which I've been displaying on my 46" Bravia XBR2 in 720P.

Today, I got the XBR4 52" which I've been saving up for for years. I was so excited that I'd finally be able to watch Blu Ray in 1080P, but my I was quickly so heartbroken that my PS3 doesn't display 1080P.

I've done this so many times:

I go into system settings. I do the "Automatic" search for HDMI resolutions, and the machine finds 480P, 720P, 1080I, and 1080P.

The PS3 tells me that 1080P is the highest it can go, and asks me if 1080P is what I want.

I pick yes.

Nothing works.

I'm aware that no PS3 games run in 1080P. I've played some of the demos, and they all run in 720P. No problem there. I'm aware that many of the effects, like motion enhancement, cause a lag time between videogames and the displayed image. So I turned off all those effects.

I can play demos and I can access the menus. No problem there.

But when I put in a Blu-Ray, it's like I put in some kind of virus, and the machine just goes dark. I have to turn off my PS3 and turn it back on to have access to the dashboard again.

From what I can tell, I'm running the latest OS. I checked again for a patch, and the PS3 says there are no newer patches. I actually have no idea what kind of HDMI cable I'm using. The serial number is HH-28F-15, and a quick Google search suggests that it supports 1080P.

I honestly don't know what could be going wrong, other than Sony fucked me and I have a defective PS3.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Actually, some PS3 games do play in 1080i, such as Simpsons and newer ones. The first games that came out only played up to 720p. Have you tried using component cables? Thats what we have used and it still looks great. You also have to go into the PS3 settings and do more than just switch it to HDMI connections; you have to change the audio, etc.

3. Lord Of Tetris

Actually, I don't have any games. The only use I have for my PS3 is to play Blu-Rays. The only reason I spent $4000 on that TV was to watch Blu-Ray in 1080P. As you can imagine, I'm rather upset at this whole fiasco.

I did a Google search for people that have had this problem. I found dozens of hits for problems, but nobody posted a solution. I hate to sound standoffish, but I'm not considering component cables as an option. They're not 1080P, and after all this spending, it'd be giving up to go with anything less than 1080P.

If I had to guess, here's what it would be:

My HDMI cables are a few years old, purchased right about the time when 720P was the hottest thing and 1080P didn't exist yet.

Could it be that I need to get myself new cables?

4. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    some TV's can handle 1080p over component. I suppose anything is possible. I'd be surprised if it were the HDMI but I'm not sure what else it could be. So, does the XMB even display at 1080p?

Does your HDMI from your PS3 go through a stereo first, or straight to the TV?

5. Lord Of Tetris

It goes into a stereo, and then to the TV. To be honest, I don't know why it's this way, but that's what the instructions told me to do when I bought the PS3...

6. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm assuming by "stereo" you mean "receiver". If that's the case, then it could very well be that your receiver won't pass a 1080p signal. Plug the ps3 directly into the tv, and it should have a digital audio output to go back to the receiver. 1080p over HDMI requires HDMI v1.3, not everything that has an HDMI connector supports this.

7. Scrappy

Scrappy smiling a blacktooth grin

What you can do with that is run your audio out to your receiver so you can still get surround sound. That's if you get picture when you when you just go from PS3>TV.

8. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Agreed, go straight into the TV. My Yamaha and my Sony receiver both choke on 1080P. The 1080i from the cable box and my old upconverting oppo DVD player worked fine. I actually flip my HDMI in and out of the back of my new HD-DVD player and PS3. Its a pain in the ass.

9. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I agree with above posters. But you can get 1080p over componet cables, and it does work just fine.

I would run the HDMI or componet to the back of the TV and the optical to the reciver.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I agree as well. You may be losing the 1080p by having the reciever in between. If that doesn't work, try a new HDMI cable. I really doubt it is an issue with the PS3 itself.

11. Lord Of Tetris

Hi guys. Thanks for all the help. I ran the HDMI directly to my TV, and an optical cable to the receiver.

That did the trick.

The crystal clarity!

12. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Glad it worked out, bet it looks sweet! :thumb 

13. Primus

News Credits:
    I figured that's what it was. I'm using a similar config myself.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I don't understand why you would put anything between your HDMI source and TV, but I've been out of the high end TV/stereo hookup game for a while.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It's a pretty standard schema these days.
    All of my video goes straight into the TV and the audio goes into the receiver.
    However, if I followed Sherwood's instructions, I would have both audio and video hooked into the receiver.

16. Primus

News Credits:
    Not to mention if you want TrueHD audio or whatever they are calling it you need to connect the player to a receiver via HDMI. The receiver would then do HDMI switching for your video to your TV. These are higher end receivers though.

17. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    HD audio, and keeping the wiring to a minimum. But, it only works if your receiver actually supports it. Also, if you only have a couple of inputs on the TV, the receiver may have more, or you could just end up using a combination of the two.

18. Scrappy

Scrappy smiling a blacktooth grin

Wouldn't optical sound just as good as HDMI audio. I only ask because I don't have a big fancy surround sound system for my big fancy TV (yet).

19. Primus

News Credits:
    in a word, no.

TOSLINK = Optical.