Need help painting (White over red painted wood)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DX7879, May 10, 2011.

1. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I'm having troubles painting a red colored wooden sword white. Every white spray can I tried ends up turning pink when sprayed on. I tried white Primer also which did nothing, and even tried spray painting it black first, and then white after, which still showed up pink.

Anyone have any painting tips?

2. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Cellulose auto-spray primer maybe? Not sure if all primers are made of the same stuff. Its what I use to prime my model kits before painting, very useful and it accepts all types of paint, enamel, acrylic, etc.

3. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What it sounds like to me is the wood may be sucking the paint into it, I personally would try a latex paint, that is if Godziboy's suggestion doesn't work. I had the same problem with sparring sword my brother gave me, but I forget what paint I used.

4. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

^Latex paint sounds like a good option. I'd try that first before my suggestion.

5. DX7879

Thanks, I'll try latex paint. I was surprised when the black showed up fine, and then the white over the black showed up pink...

6. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

You need a stain blocker of sorts. Depending on what product was used for the red, it might just continue to bleeed through. Get an oil stain blocker and jump to a white latex primer, then paint.

7. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

I think it is strange that the wood seems to be absorbing and/or bleeding, effectively changing the color. Are you waiting long enough between coats, or is the wood a porous wood?

You may benefit from using binz or kilz, or a primer specifically for wood which shouldn't be that expensive. There are also paints that Home Depot and Lowes sell that will let you easily paint over wood.

Either way, I also think you need to use a grey or light grey primer and you are going to need a couple of coats. Then put a couple of coats of white over it. You need a neutral or lighter base primer so that the topcoat will pick up the lighter tint, otherwise the top coat will be dark.

8. DX7879

Lol, forgot to respond back to this topic, but the latex paint worked great! Will post pictures when the swords are all done :D