Customs: Need help! Paint keeps seeping under masking tape

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Drpee, May 9, 2009.

1. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im trying to mask flames for some movie prime customs im doing and this has to be the third time ive had to completely re-do the entire paintjob because the flames got screwed up by paint seeping in under the masking tape! Im using automotive masking tape, its not low-tack tape, its applied evenly and theres no gaps between the tape and the surfaces. Im applying Tamiya acrylic red and blue through an airbrush and everytime i peel back the tape the paint has creeped under it and ruined my flames! Can someone please help me out as this is getting really frustrating and is making me feel like i want to throw in the towel on customs altogether - its really getting me down. What am i doing wrong?

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
  3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I use the tamiya tapes, they haven't let me down yet. I'm sure there are 1000 threads bout tape though. Some paints require you to remove the mask while the paint's still wet/tacky, others you need to wait for dry paint. Also the surface you mask needs to be free of debris, dust and very smooth.

4. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the tips guys but niether really answered my question. I need to know why my paint is bleeding under the masking tape. I cant afford tamiya stuff right now but this tape i have should be more than good enough i mean its designed to mask up cars! (at least thats what i assme since i bought it in a car spares shop from the paint section) Do you think im maybe being too hasty with each coat of paint and not applying them light enough and thats why the paint is seeping under the tape? The surfaces are clean enough to eat your dinner off of, i must spend hours washing and prepping each surface so that shouldnt be the probolem and when i stick the tape down i make sure the edges are as firm and as flat as possible, thats why im sort of stumped as to why this is happening.

5. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    I hear you. To be honest, I too have no idea why that's happening. It happens to me too at times. Masked with Tamiya tape as tightly and cleanly as possible only to discover paint seeping underneath it after I remove the tape. I just sortof lived with it and cleaned up the mess after it happens. My Movie Prime had its flames re-done thrice because of the seeping..It sucks...

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    "Automotive" grade doesn't necessarily mean good (in fact I am having wild deja vu for some strange reason) You need a high tack detailing tape, like Tamiya. If you can't get something equivalent to it's quality, then there's the answer to the problem.

7. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You too huh? This is the third time ive had to completly re-do the entire toy because obviously if the flames get screwed up then the only way to remove them is alcohol or sand paper and of course that obviously eats away at the paint underneath, so i had to strip off all the old paint/re-prime it/re-base coat it/re-top coat it then re-flame it, 3 fooking times over! Ive wasted so much paint and thinners and rubbing alcohol on that blasted thing, i'll be lucky to make even half of my money back if i sell it.

Good news though! I just re-flamed another prime project im working on using the same masking tape as i did before but this time i held the airbrush further back (about 7 or 8 inches away using a wide-spread fan) and applied about 7 or 8 ultra-light coats and it came out PERFECT!! Im so happy!!! Now i dont have to give up repainting as i was beginning to think i sucked at it.

8. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Must be a glitch in the matrix? Anyways ive sorted it now. Thanks.

9. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you are spraying too much paint.

Spray a very small amount of paint first on the tape edge, and let that completely dry. That should form a bit of a barrier. Even with brushed on paints it works.

10. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I concur. Sounds like your not using thin enough layers.

11. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Automotive grade masking tape (as well as most masking tapes) have an abundance of "crepe" in it. Crepe allows paper tapes to curve ever so slighly. It's probably those convolusions in the tape that's letting paint seep past it. I suggest a vinyl tape such as ... [​IMG]

................. another problem could be humidity.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I agree humidity is always a factor.
    It's best to always spray a light mist on masked areas, like said earlier.

13. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup i need to get some of that in the future. For now though everything seems ok. As long as i apply very light coats nothing seems to bleed and i can get super sharp and defined edges. Takes ages to build up all the layers though thats the only drawback.

Thanks for the tips.