Need help, KO Sixshot? What is this?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tridecaphi, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Tridecaphi

Tridecaphi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I bought this sixshot from a board member as a "new in box original sixshot." When I received it, I didn't look at the stamp on the toy, just put it away. I never had much reason to not believe it until a member asked me about the trademark on the bottom of the box below the tech specs. It was in fact an incomplete trademark. Then I pulled the toy out and I looked at the stamp, pictured below.

The member I was talking to said he believes this is a 1992 official hasbro re-release, I didn't even know they made those. I'm not sure I agree because the only time I've seen the blocked out "japan" is on KOs. The stamp on the toy say 1986 and Japan is blocked out, but on my other sixshot it says 1987, Why would the dates be different? I updated some new pictures for you to judge for yourself. Can someone please tell me what it is I have? It's old, so the 1992 release makes some sense, but the quality is exactly like my other original, which makes me think it's not as KO.

One last clue, the price tag on the box says SM TOYLAND and the price is P1195.75. That's obviously not in USD.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    I was just looking at xe.com and the currency converter. The currency on the price tag might be from the Philippines, The Philippine Peso is the name of it, so the 'P' fits, and 1195.75 roughly equals $28 in todays money, so the price seems to fit. Do I have a philippine issue g1 sixshot? Would it be original or reissue?

3. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Was "More...Much More Than Meets The Eye" on the original packaging from that time period?

4. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    Good question, I have no idea, I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm starting to think this is some type of philippines only issue as opposed to a reissue. SM Toyland is a toy store in the philippines. It just seems too old to be a KO, and it's EXACTLY like the original.

5. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    The answer is yes, found this on ebay:
    sixshot vintage box

6. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm from Manila and shop at SM and....Wow, I didn't even know SM sold G1 TF's back then in '92. All the while I was under the impression that G1 TF's were only sold in specialty stores back then.

There is no such a thing as a Philippine Exclusive Six Shot as far as I can remember.

My opinion is you have an original Sixshot that was meant for the continental Americas market, particularly Mexico. Somehow, the merchandiser of SM managed to source out and sell toys meant for Mexico at their Toyland retail outlet waaaaaay back then. We usually get toys either meant for the US market or Asian Market. *Toyland is waaaay dead now and is renamed into Toy Kingdom.

My rationale is based on these pages from Fred's Transformers variations page:

FredsWorkshop.com
    Note the second paragraph.

Now here's the thing -- the webpage above shows the "normal" 1986 stamp on Sixshot. The stamp you show in your picture above is very similar to these (also on the same webpage)
    FredsWorkshop.com
    FredsWorkshop.com
    FredsWorkshop.com
    FredsWorkshop.com

So following that line if thinking, you have a relatively rare "Mexican Sixshot!".

if you wanna ditch it, lemme know hahahaha!

7. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as i know,during G1 era,there is no such KO which look so real,i think this is the real thing

8. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    I am interested in selling or trading it. Feel free to look at my want lists and see if you have anything there or I can sell it outright. Make me an offer.

9. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    I'm not sure I believe that completely but it does fit some things. The reason being, the page you linked to says series 1-4 will have the entire (c) Takara Japan blocked out, and sixshot was a series 4 toy and it only has the Japan blocked out. That is in direct conflict. The box doesn't have a black bar, it's missing text, which does fit, so, I honestly don't know. This is exactly why I posted this question.

11. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Understood , just thought I would share the info. Its a great looking set bro. My MISB Springer has the same issue. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    Any idea on what the value of this is in either case, if it were a mexican version Sixshot or if it were a 93' chinese reissue?

13. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man no clue, but you still may want to ask around. I really hope for the best for you. You know i wanted it!

14. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Mexican Transformers have Spanish on the packaging, and I don't think they got beyond Series 3 TFs. This is a 1990's Chinese reissue.

15. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I wrote that page--I don't remember what made me think that Series 4 would have the Takara part blocked out on the toy. This may have just been a bad assumption on my part, based on the sameness of packaging Copyright text on Series 1 - 4. I've seen a lot more pictures of them in package than out of package. Anyway, I can just change the page..

16. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please excuse the necro of this page.
    I'm trying to find information on my G1 sixshot. The stamp on it is identical to the vintage, except made in china, not japan. I got this sixshot in 2001, as a vintage figure, and just never looked at the stamping on it. Is it a China reissue, or did they switch manufacturers?