Need help getting started with Iron Man...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by delta chameleon, Oct 23, 2008.

1. delta chameleon

delta chameleon Member

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the Transformers comics for quite a while now, and also read some other comics like Usagi Yojimbo, Lone Wolf and Cub, Mouse Guard... But I am relatively new to the world of Marvel/DC super hero comics. Iron Man has peaked my interest, and I would like to start reading his comics, but have no idea where to begin. I know some basics of the character, mainly from the movie, the cartoon as well as talking to friends and work. But I don't feel that I know enough to just jump in at any point and begin reading.

Is there any issues or TPB that would be a good starting point so that I would know whats going on in what I am reading? Also, once I get started, what are your favorite Iron Man storylines?

thanks for any help!
    Eric

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    go pick up the invincible iron man...it just started issue 6 just came out, which wraps up the first story arc...its pretty good and fits well with the movie too...

other then that, i've got no other suggestions as thats the only ironman book i read...

3. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on where you want to start, 80's stories such as Demon in a Bottle or Armour Wars are available in collected format, or newer stories such as Extremis.

4. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want older stories in addition to the ones Sinestro mentioned, there is a thick black & white Marvel Essentials trade that covers some of his earlier stories.

The current Invincible Iron Man that Lumpy mentioned is great. I believe there will be a collected Marvel Premiere hardcover of the first 6 issue story arc hitting stores within the next 2 months...or you could probably find the individual issues still.

5. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

These are all good suggestions, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say any trade paperback is a good place to start. Most of these are stories you can read and not feel too lost with. I have Armor Wars, Mask in the Iron Man (which has his armor gaining sentience) and Extremis. You really don't need to know much about him to enjoy these stories.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

You can read the first issue of "Invincible Iron Man" (Extremis Arc) for free at Marvel.com

https://subscriptions.marvel.com/digitalcomics/view.htm?iid=457&title=

If you are looking for a quick/cheap/easy way to read any Marvel comics, including Iron Man, you can subscribe to their digital comics service.

Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited: Home | Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, Wolverine and more Marvel Comics Online

I'd say it's worth it overall for people just getting into Marvel comics. They have a rather large catalog on there right now for viewing, and they're constantly adding more. The only downside is having to wait 6 months for new issues.