Customs: Need Help fixing Classic Thrusts' wing

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by iluvu_superion, Aug 13, 2007.

1. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    GOOD NEWS: I contacted them and they will be replacing either the wing or the whole figure. Not sure. But thanks guys for the suggestions on the fix. I will use that knowledge in the future.

I have a problem. I have a Classics Thrust with what seems to be a finger print imbeded into a piece of his wing.

Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what I need help is on sanding down the roughness of that part with something not too abrasive that would scratch the plastic. Do you guys know anything I can use to buff it down and give it a smooth look without having to rough it up with sandpaper? And what's the closest color that I can get for him to help retouch up some of the paint? I hope you guys can help!!

2. Pwnbeaver

Pwnbeaver teh uber pwnage

Your screwed man, your screwed! Its game over!

3. Pwnbeaver

Pwnbeaver teh uber pwnage

Your screwed man, your screwed! Its game over!

4. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would write a complaint letter or email to Hasbro. Since you spent that amount of money on a set of toys, the least they could do is make it right. Not that they will do anything about it, but at least you make your feelings known. It is worth a try. I mean paying $279-329 for a set of repaints and one remould, you should get some kind of response for it.

5. guarddog8471

Ebay:
    I would write a complaint letter or email to Hasbro. Since you spent that amount of money on a set of toys, the least they could do is make it right. Not that they will do anything about it, but at least you make your feelings known. It is worth a try. I mean paying $279-329 for a set of repaints and one remould, you should get some kind of response for it.

6. valkfan

valkfan Autobot Special Ops

First, can you take the wing apart? I'm asking this because if you can't and you try to sand the black plastic, there's a chance of accidentally sanding the maroon paint off as well.

As for sanding, the most effective way to sand it would be to buy sandpaper ranging from semi-coarse, fine, extra fine to ultra fine. Then use each of them progressively getting to the finer sandpaper which ends up being more of a buffing pad. As for matching the paint, that's only going to be done with an airbrush system because you're going to have to match it by eye.

I've done this before on other projects so PM me if you need any further assistance.

7. valkfan

valkfan Autobot Special Ops

First, can you take the wing apart? I'm asking this because if you can't and you try to sand the black plastic, there's a chance of accidentally sanding the maroon paint off as well.

As for sanding, the most effective way to sand it would be to buy sandpaper ranging from semi-coarse, fine, extra fine to ultra fine. Then use each of them progressively getting to the finer sandpaper which ends up being more of a buffing pad. As for matching the paint, that's only going to be done with an airbrush system because you're going to have to match it by eye.

I've done this before on other projects so PM me if you need any further assistance.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That probably wouldn't help much, since Hasbro didn't make these.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That probably wouldn't help much, since Hasbro didn't make these.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sandpaper will work just fine. Actually, go to a hobby/craft store (like Michael's, or something) and pick up a pack of Testor's sanding film. The idea is that you start off with the coarser grade paper, and work your way down to the fine grade stuff. For this sort of job, you can probably skip using the super coarse paper, and start with the medium grade. Just sand lightly so as not to scratch the plastic too deeply, and by the time you work your way to the super fine stuff, it'll be factory smooth.

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sandpaper will work just fine. Actually, go to a hobby/craft store (like Michael's, or something) and pick up a pack of Testor's sanding film. The idea is that you start off with the coarser grade paper, and work your way down to the fine grade stuff. For this sort of job, you can probably skip using the super coarse paper, and start with the medium grade. Just sand lightly so as not to scratch the plastic too deeply, and by the time you work your way to the super fine stuff, it'll be factory smooth.

12. iluvu_superion

Ebay:
    Thanks for your input guys. I will try that out and see what I can do. I also wrote to the botcon guys to see if they have a spare wing or help me fix it somehow. I do agree that nothing will come of it, but there is always hope. Thanks again guys, If I get it fixed, I'll let you guys know, but if I don't, then I may have wrecked it and will be too embarrassed to show you guys. :p 

13. iluvu_superion

Ebay:
    Thanks for your input guys. I will try that out and see what I can do. I also wrote to the botcon guys to see if they have a spare wing or help me fix it somehow. I do agree that nothing will come of it, but there is always hope. Thanks again guys, If I get it fixed, I'll let you guys know, but if I don't, then I may have wrecked it and will be too embarrassed to show you guys. :p 

14. guarddog8471

Ebay:
    Yes, that is true, but they may be able to tell you who to write to.

15. guarddog8471

Ebay:
    Yes, that is true, but they may be able to tell you who to write to.

16. guarddog8471

Ebay:
    Again though. Why should you have to fix it? It is their mistake. If they care at all, try the letter approach to whomever you need to. Like I said, for the amount of money they cost, it is after all the right thing to do.

17. guarddog8471

Ebay:
    Again though. Why should you have to fix it? It is their mistake. If they care at all, try the letter approach to whomever you need to. Like I said, for the amount of money they cost, it is after all the right thing to do.

18. iluvu_superion

Ebay:
    I agree with you that I shouldn't have to fix it, but it would be a last resort should they not fix it or send me a replacement wing. So i'm just prepping for the inevitable... :\

19. iluvu_superion

Ebay:
    I agree with you that I shouldn't have to fix it, but it would be a last resort should they not fix it or send me a replacement wing. So i'm just prepping for the inevitable... :\

20. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    i had the same problem but it was on the sliver part...and i contacted them and they said that they would look at it