Need help figuring out DC Comics.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Teratron, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

Hi all. I've been an off-and-on DC comics reader for as long as I can remember, but I've never really been able to fully get into it. I first started really reading a lot with the Death of Superman arc. That got me reading Superman and some of the occasional big story arcs like Bloodlines and Zero Hour. But due to a lack of money in college, I had to give it up shortly thereafter. :cry 

Anyway, for the past couple years, I've been trying to get back into it. I have the last couple years worth of Superman books that I've collected, but haven't gotten around to reading all of them. I've also started adding Wonder Woman 200+, both Green Lantern series from Rebirth forward, and all the Crisis books.

Between slowly digging into the comics and watching the excellent animated shows, I'm now really wanting to jump back in and start reading more of the comics for my favorite characters. The big One Year Later arc seems like a great point to jump on to some of these series that feature characters I like, but whose stories I haven't really read much before.

This is where I'd like some help. Having not really been reading a lot of the comics, I'm not really sure which ones to look for, especially with all the upcoming cancellations and new series starting up. I'd appreciate some help getting it all sorted out. :huh

Superman:
    I realize the Man of Steel series ended a while back, leaving 3 Superman series currently running: Superman, Adventures of Superman, and Action Comics. My understanding is that the current Superman series will be ending. Adventures of Superman, which was previously just Superman before the first Crisis and has kept the original numbering, will be reclaiming the Superman title. (And people find Final Fantasy numbering confusing. :peoples:  ) This should leave just Superman and Action Comics as the regular books in the current DCU continuity. Superman All Stars is a non-continuity book that's supposed to be an iconic representation of the character, correct?

Batman:
    How many books are there again? Batman, Detective Comics, Legends of the Dark Knight, Gotham Knights, All Star Batman, and some other related books like the just ending Gotham Central are the ones I'm aware of offhand. Like Superman, I got started reading some during Knightfall, but had to give it up around Knightquest. While a lot of the books seemed interesting at a glance, I haven't read as much of the back story for Batman as I have for Superman, so it's been a little intimidating to just jump in. Especially since I'm not sure I understand how the books are related. The last time I read Batman books, they were all connected through the triangle numbering scheme back in the 90s. Now, I've gotten the impression that some of the books are in continuity while others aren't. This seems to be backed up by some recent interviews I've read that mention the two "main" Batman books - Batman and Detective Comics, correct? What are all the other books then? I'm aware that the All Star Batman is done by Frank Miller as a prequel to his DKR tales, but I don't really know anything about the rest.

Wonder Woman:
    She only has the one series, correct? My understanding is that the current volume will be ending in the near future, and that a new volume will start up later this year. Last I've heard, it's not certain yet whether Wonder Woman will still be Diana, or if somone else will fill her role.

Flash:
    Again, just one book, correct? I've seen where Wally disappears, and I'm aware that no one knows who will be the Flash post Crisis. Er, post second Crisis, or whatever you want to call it. :redface2:  I'm vaguely aware of the back stories for Barry, Wally, and Bart, so I'm interested to see how it goes whoever takes on the role. No relaunches or anything planned here, right?

Green Lantern:
    I've picked up a few trades that chronicle some of the major points of GL history, and I've seen just enough of each of Earth's GLs that I'm interested in reading more about all of them. My understanding was that there would be the main GL book focusing on Hal, and the GL Corp book focusing on the rest. But I just read something that makes it sound like the Corp books are just a mini series. Is that correct? If so, will there be any books featuring the other GLs, or just the main book for Hal?

Superhero Teams:
    I've always really like the JLA. I understand that the current team has been disbanded, and the current book will be ending shortly. Then it will be relaunched with unknown membership later this year. Is this correct? Also, Teen Titans will be getting a new lineup OYL. Any word on other teams, e.g. JSA, Outsiders, etc.?

Finally, any other books anyone would recommend looking into? There are lots of DC characters I'd love to read more of, but I'm trying to keep a reasonable limit on my time and money commitments. :(  But if there's a really good book I might be missing, I'd love to hear about it. :) 

Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm not that up on the Big Three, so I can't give you much help there. The All-Star books are non-canon tales set to play off the iconic nature of the heroes, they aren't tied to any other stories (or any sense of sanity in All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder's case)

Flash is relaunching, actually. The current volume has ended and the new series will be starting later this year.

The current Corps book is a miniseries, but a regular ongoing Corps series will be debuting later this year as well. Guy Gardner seems to be the big star of that book. In addition to that and the regular GL book, Kyle Rayner will star in a 12-issue maxiseries called Ion that will be starting in March.

You're right about the JLA. The Titans will be launching a new side team called Titans East that will run alongside the main Teen Titans title. The Outsiders have lost one member in the Crisis and it looks like another one might not be around much longer. It looks like OYL the team will be going underground for awhile. JSA isn't going to change much at all.

3. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Two bits of Pre-Crisis DCU history are shipping this month:
    Superman v2 #226 (final issue), Action #836 & Adventures of Superman #649. The history of the Earth-2 Superman unfolds over these three issues. And over in JSA #82. Paul Levitz returns along with George Perez to recap the history of the Earth-2 JSA.

Starting One Year Later...

Superman #650 & Action #837
    Detective #817 & Batman #651
    these both re-establish their respective lead characters OLY in eight-part arcs.

Following the 8-part "intro" arcs, Superman gets Kurt Busiek as it's regular writer. He's on for AT LEAST 12 issues, but has already stated to have enough ideas to run a couple years beyond that point. Action's new writer hasn't been announced yet.

Batman gets Grant Morrison as it's new writer. He's starting his run with a story about the son of Bruce and Talia. If you're intrigued there are two book to grab:
    Tales of the Demon (colecting the various Ras Al Ghul stories from the 70s that spawned an original graphic novel sequel in the late 80s: Son of the Demon.

Detecetive Comics gets Paul Dini as it's new writer. Dini promises that each issue will be a complete mystery story. For more of Dini's work look no further than Batman: the Animated Series. He was that's show's executive producer and lead writer. He also did several Batman Advbentures stories that are currently collected in the trade: Dangerous Dames & Demons.

Gotham Knights is indeed over, and Legends of the Dark Knight is seldom set in the modern DC continuity, mostly telling stories of Batman's past or just avoiding continuity entirely. It's rumored to be cancelled now that it's been made largely redundant by the regular swarm of mini-series and All-Star Batman.

Other DCU books:

The Flash. No one knows who the Flash will be after the Crisis. There's even a rumor that the whole cancellation & relaunch is a stunt and that the book will return with Wally safely in the lead and the original title's numbering fully intact. Or that Bart will be the lead with volume 3, #1. Or that JAY will be the lead. Or even Wally's adult twin children will somehow take over the mantle of the Flash. At this point... no one knows.

Wonder Woman will be back when Alan Heinberg is ready to write the first arc. He's busy on The O.C. and can barely get Young Avengers out on time. But they REALLY want to wait for alan, so the book will be out when it's out.

Teen Titans always get a few new members here or there, but it's generally always been a certain core no matter what else happens. The only things we know Post Crisis is that there will be a second Titans team, Titans East and that Beast Boy's connection to the Doom Patrol is firmly re-established.

The Outsiders will likely get a new member or two, but we don't know who yet.

The JSA are going thru a big 5-part arc by former writer Paul Levitz that will lead back to Geoff Johns' return later this year. Again, the book has a heavily roting cast of members, but it's also got a core group that will always stay.

4. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Shoot, I just dropped Detective Comics, guess I'll be picking it back up again.

5. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

they're raising their prices to match Marvel's recent price increase. $2.99 across the board. This is more of a big deal for DC since the vast majority of their titles stayed $2.50, with only the new titles hitting $2.99.

The subscription rate remains $2 an issue however. I'm sending in my sub order for Batman, Detective Comics, Superman, Justice League of America & renewing JSA & Jonah Hex when I get my tax return next week.

I'm debating on 52 as well since that's $100 for a subscription to the complete run. But it's a lot of $$ to blow at once, even tho I have total faith in the creators involved.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Considering that the book is a weekly title, it will be a fast read compaired to the monthly ones. And the $100 is worth it.

To Teratron, at this point, I would recomend picking up the current titles you want to read and catching up when you can with Trade Paperbacks. :thumbs2: 

7. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

Thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate all the help. :)  Good to know I wasn't too far off the mark. :cool: