Need help deciding

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kelsie*bear, Dec 7, 2010.

1. kelsie*bear

kelsie*bear New Member

Hi guys,
    Can you guys let me know what you think. I want to get my husband a transformer for xmas, but I have no clue what to get. I'd like to ask which would you prefer, if cost was not an issue: Transformers Collection #0 or Black Animated Optimus Prime Convoy.

Thanks for you help! =)
    Sharon

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Black Animated Prime!!! :rock 

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Hey Sharon,

I think it really depends on what kind of TF fan he is. Is he more into the older series or is he more a fan of the newer stuff?

There are alot of people who collect the older things, who would really like that Transformers Collection #0 Prime figure. On the other hand, I personally, although I love the old series, am not really interested in the old toys and would rather buy/get updated characters from newer series.

In the end, both are great figures, so I don't think you can go really wrong anyway, but:
    -decide if his interest is more geared toward 'G1' - the original series, and
    -look if he doesn't already have a version of 'G1' Optimus Prime - after all that Transformers Collection #0, as nice as it is, is another variation of that old toy, so maybe having two versions is not as cool as having 1 version + Black Animated Prime.

Hope that helps..

4. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Personally, I would want Transformers Collection #0.

But take a look at the figures he has, make a note of how many Optimus Primes he already owns. If he already has a few, then I suggest you get him the Black Animated Optimus Prime instead.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Because that's not Optimus Prime? :D 

6. kelsie*bear

kelsie*bear New Member

Thanks for your responses!! I guess I have to ask him discreetly. You have a good point, Digilaut about which series he likes best. I think he likes the old series best. I like the Black animated Prime too, Auto Morph. Not only it looks awesome, its exclusive too. My husband doesn't have any collection of the Transformers, so the collection #0 would be great too...I agree Wollstone. Thanks guys! =)

7. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Sharon,

Can you take some pictures of his collection? It would give us a better idea of what he have and what he likes!

9. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

MP04 is a definite plus! It's my favorite of all Prime figures. Highly detailed, highly articulated and sure to be a great center piece.
    If money isn't an issue, I'd get him or both of what you suggested.

10. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes do this, and G1 is always the way to go.

11. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'd rather have the #0.

12. frilly toothpick

frilly toothpick Decepticrumb

My vote, between the two, is for Collection #0.

13. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If he's already got a G1 Prime then get him the Animated. If not, #0 would be a great choice.

14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will concur. Much as I think Animated is cool, the shows over and a black repaint of that Prime somehow feels too...obscure. A G1 or Masterpiece Prime is a timeless piece.

15. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    if cost is no object the masterpiece is a great toy.....but that black animated is awesome

16. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I'd go with Transformers Collection 0.

17. kelsie*bear

kelsie*bear New Member

Thank you for all your great inputs! He doesn't have any collection of the transformers, so I'd like to start him off with one. I just wanted to make sure that the choices I chose were something guys would want. I use to watch the old series when I was younger, but when it comes to the action figures I have no idea which is junk or not. After reading all your inputs, I'll get the black animated one first since they only made 300 according to seibu. And definitely the collection #0-21 (?) for his birthdays. I did check out the MP04 and that is an amazing piece. I didn't expect the transformers to cost that much. Is the mp04 part of a collection too? Once again thank you for all of your inputs! =)

Sharon

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP04 is in the Masterpiece series, but it is a fine standalone piece without getting all the other MPs (it's not to scale with most of them anyway).

MP01 - Optimus Prime: same as MP04, without the trailer (so it's cheaper). There are many variants of this, including a black one, and a new "definitive" variant is coming soon.
    MP02- Ultra Magnus. White version of Optimus. I'd skip myself, it doesn't have the trailer armor that makes Magnus really stand out as a character.
    MP03- Starscream. A couple variants of this. Smallish compared to OP but still an impressive piece.
    MP04- You already researched this. Probably the ultimate gift for a big Prime fan.
    MP05- Megatron. Designed to stand toe to toe with Masterpiece Prime (MP01 or MP04).
    MP06- Skywarp (different colored Starscream)
    MP07- Thundercracker (different colored Starscream, again)
    MP08- Grimlock. This recently came out in the US and he is awesome. A bit more "robust" than the other MPs, but on the smaller side.
    MP09- Rodimus Prime. Not out yet.

So I guess you could say they are a "collection," but I don't think you have to "catch them all," especially since there is no reason to have all the different versions of Prime IMO. Of course, never been a completist myself.

As for the black Animated Prime...if you think that's what he really wants, then get it, but just let me "warn" you, there will always be some scarce import in a wicked cool color scheme that costs lot of money and had a limited production run. Personally I would never get something just cause there were 300 made, unless you know that your husband will personally get a charge out of owning such a rare piece. If his primary interest is in old-school Transformers though, I'd get him a vintage-style figure like the Transformers Collection or the more recent Encore series, see what he thinks, then you and he can decide whether to keep buying and which ones to buy. :)