Need help deciding on a Sentinel Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Axel990, May 12, 2011.

?

Which version of Sentinel Prime should I purchase?

1. Leader Class

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Voyager Class

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Ok, I am calling on the members of TFW2005 to help me make a decision that has been boggling my mind since rumors of a Voyager class Sentinel Prime were brought to everyone's attention.

Before hearing this, I was already planning on getting the Leader class Sentinel. It was the only one I was aware of, and I need to have atleast one Sentinel in my collection, so I had my mind on that one. My concern was that he would be too big compared to the rest of the Autobots though, especially Prime. Let me inform you that I haven't bought a Leader class toy since Jetfire. I never bought ROTF Optimus or Megatron. They were too big compared to everyone else I owned, so I gave them a miss for the smaller Voyager versions.

Then, word of the smaller, Voyager broke out and I began to rethink my earlier choice. A smaller one means I have tp pay less money, but I most like will get less detail than what is offered by the Leader class. Soon enough, pictures appeared of the actual Voyager toy. I was a bit appalled by what I say. Hasbro acting lazy and contructing a poorly painted Autobot with way too much back kibble. Kibble that rivaled that of ROTF Voyager Megatron.

So now I ask you. Which version of Sentinel Prime should I buy? Leader or Voyager?

2. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

The leader is large, sure. But if you watch Peaugh's review you'll see that the voyager is one of the most ridiculously shellforming figures ever. Go for the Leader.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    The voyager isn't too bad (even if he heavily shellforms) and his gun is nice, but I still think the Leader beats him in pretty much every aspect. It's a masterpiece-level figure just like ROTF Prime.

4. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    I watched Peaugh's review earlier today. It's what caused me to make this poll.

To be honest, I don't care for the gun at all. Its massive and I hate how they tried to "disquise" the fire hose as the mech-blegh weapon.

5. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Picked up the Leader version today, and I think he is amazing. Great color and details. The only thing I don't really like is that one of his shoulders isn't pegging in well for me. I have seen a few pictures of the Voyager but have not watched the video reviews, but I was not personally overly impressed. Also, if he is the same size as the other voyagers from this line I would steer clear. I had strongly considered picking up Voyager Megatron (still may), but saw him, optimus, and ironhide on the shelf today and couldn't beleive how small they actually were. These Voyagers are tiney this round......

F-me, now that I think about it, I will probably still get Megs just to display in vehicle mode.

6. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Well, the Optimus I have in my collection at this moment is Battle Blades Optimus. I found him to be so much better than the Voyagers we've seen before. How do you think Voyager Megatron would compare in size to him?

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I'm not sure about this myself. I think I like the idea of Sentinel Prime, but I'm not completely sold on his design (and, by extension, his toys). The leader prime looks pretty cool, but it's not the scale I want, and there are things about it that I'm not sure about. For $40, buying a toy I'm iffy about is a risk. The Voyager is my preferred scale, and the toy looks okay for the most part, but I'm not sure about its articulation or the big gap in its back (not very shelf-space friendly). I'll have to see the movie to decide if I like the character enough, and see more of the Voyager toy before I pull the trigger

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Get the leader.

The voyager looks like shit.

9. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Go big or go home. Leader SP FTW

10. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    :lol  Any chance of the people who voted for Voyager giving a reason as to why I should purchase that one?

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well this Transformers so almost nothing is ever in scale with other things so I'd go with the one that is more visually appealing to you.

If it's figure you plan on displaying in your collection for a while then it might be worth putting up a little more money now for the figure you will be happier with down the road. Or heck put off some other impulse buys until later on because Dark of the Moon toys will be around until at least the holidays so no need to buy them all now.

12. barrelks

News Credits:
    Just to make sure, BB Optimus is the Voyager one right. If so, Voyager Megs is probably similar, just a little shorter. Didn't take a huge look at Megs after being stunned by how short he was. I just got that BB Voyager Prime myself, so I havent really compared him to my other stuff (most of my movie stuff is packed away, but the new voyagers are right between the last two movie's voyagers and deluxes.

13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Get both if possible. One for bot display (Leadre) and the other to easily transform and fiddle with whever needed! (Voyager). Eureka!- Problem solved! :D 

14. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Yes, that is the Voyager, and thats good to hear. I'm kind of glad these voyagers aren't too big. Makes me feel a bit better about buying DOTM deluxe Ratchet someday. A lot of the toys are smaller compared to the last two films. DOTM Sideswipe is smaller, but is also less bulky than the previous one.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I am a bit of a freak when it comes to maintaining decent scale between figures. Sometimes I have to make due with whats offered (Deluxe Bonecrusher and Voyager Blackout), but sometimes I get the occasional bone tossed to me (Leader Brawl).

I'm afraid both is not possible. I'd like to save money so I can buy other DOTM figures. Plus, I recently donated all the old Transformers toys I no longer pay any attention to, such as TF1 Leader Optimus and Megatron, since I now only focus on the Voyagers. Same goes for any doubles I possessed. I had 3 different Bumblebees, 2 Ratchets and Starscreams. So its basically 1 toy per character. I just received DOTM Sideswipe today, and now I'm left to decide whether or not to donate his ROTF counterpart.

EDIT: Just so everyone understands, I am taking the outcome of this poll, and your opinions, very seriously. This will ultimately decide which version of Sentinel I buy in the end. Don't be afraid to give honest reasoning behind your votes.

15. barrelks

News Credits:
    Yea, they will probably scale pretty well with what you have mentioned. Outside of the Voyagers, I was really surprised when I saw Skids on the pegs today. I plan on picking him up to display in vehicle mode, but passed today. He looked incredibly small, hoping to grab him on sale, or bogo, or sometime when I am bored.

At the same time, the last movie's Leader Prime is impressive if you don't have him (though that voyager you got is solid), and the Leader Sentinel is pretty damn incredible. I hear you on some of the other figures that kind of ruin scaling, but sometimes, having an amazing version of the toy is worth having it out of scale. I should finally be upgrading to Buster Optimus in a month, that figure is just amazing in person and a must have for me.

16. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Go with the leader class one. Heck, go with the Animated deluxe one. The voyager class SP reminds me of one of those transforming cosplay suits* where the person lays down and the car panels hang over their body to form the alt mode. And, his legs attach at the ribs, not the hips. Just looks absurd.

*this actually isn't a knock on those suits, or the people who create them. Those suits are cool (usually) and serve their purpose because most people can't bend or rotate their limbs like thoughtfully engineered toys can.

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Okay noted. In that case, the Leader is a no-brainer for choice! :D 

18. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely get the leader. You get more screen-accuracy, detail, and paint.

19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Leader. Definitely Leader. Got the Leader one today and wow...it's really nice. Then I saw the vid for the Voyager. It looks awful.

20. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    I guess it is starting to look unanimous :lol 

But I'll give the Voyager side a chance to redeem itself.