Need Help Deciding about Collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sideswipe1954, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, very long story short. Over 2 years ago, I lost almost everything I had collection wise and basically had to start over.

Flash forward to today: I have done pretty well rebuilding my collection, starting with Animated, ROTF, and Universe 2.0, sprinkling in some Encore, Botcon, Alternators, Masterpieces, and TRU G1 Re-Issues.

This morning, after a fellow board member pointed me to a local WM that had the new Legends Devastator, I go to pick one up, and had an "epiphany" if you will and wanted fellow TF fans inputs.

Now I have the DVDs, I read the IDW comics, get the trades of the Marvel and Dreamwave stuff, etc, so I think I am a good fan and collector. But this morning, as I stood there looking at the Legends Devastator, my mind started working overtime.

I live with my fiance, and we have a good house, and we both understand each others quirks and hobbies, mine being Transformers, comics, etc; hers being her horse; and we both have a passion for Disney stuff. And as we share more with each other, we understand and appreciate each other's passions so any decision made about my collection is prompted by my own thoughts alone, not nagging from my SO.

Well, as I stand there in Walmart, I was thinking, do I really need another item that all I will do is leave in it's package and put away for a collection that maybe 10-15% is actually on display! Cause it is, I have my G1 Re-Issues, Encores, Masterpieces, and assorted characters from Universe and Animated opened and on the shelves in our den, but most of it is in Tupperwares put away in a closet, still sealed in their original packages.

Now, our wedding is October, and I am in the process of paying for a honeymoon as well as part of the wedding, so my questions stem from this:

1) Is it time to stop collecting everything and maybe start focusing on specific characters or sublines?

2) Should I thin my collection out to not only save room, but maybe help pay for the honeymoon?

3) Should I stop collecting all together, sell what I have (or keep it) and just grab that random figure that really really speaks to me, like Masterpieces, etc?

4) I had always been a MISB/MOSC collector, but if I am not willing to open it and display it, is it even worth buying just to be put in a Tupperware in the closet just so I can say I own that? (and just so there is no confusion, there are no children to pass them down to later on sort of thing)

Please Help!!!!

2. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

Been dealing with this too. We have a 3300 square foot house with a pool table room and a full theater room and I STILL don't have enough space to display everything (at least without it looking retarded). Not sure what to do here either. There is a fine line between a hobby and an obsession and I'm wondering if we are coming close to that line.

3. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i would keep what ya got, don't sell, you will prob regret letting go of them..or some at least, watch what you buy, don't be like me and get everything new and shiny that comes out..just be more selective and as long as your financially able and the wifey-to-be is cool with your collecting i think your safe :) 

4. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    There was a time where I went completest or at least almost completest. When I went through my divorce, it got worse. When I came back down to Earth and got into a real relationship again, I began prioritizing. I like to have money for other stuff and buying crap that's just going to eventually end up in a box means I get to buy less 'other stuff'.

Personally, here's how I address your questions:

1) I just focus on characters I want to be represented in my collection. Occasionally, I'll pick up something just because it's THAT good. But there's a huge amount of stuff that comes out that I just pass on.

2) I haven't done it yet, but I do want to go through all the stuff I have and just unload a bunch of it. Not so much for the money (though that works too), but because it's just useless clutter I barely ever use. Believe me, in a household such as yours, clutter is going to be the nagging gremlin on your shoulder.

3) Again, looking at the answer to #1, I like collecting but I don't have to have 80% of the stuff that comes out. It kinda makes it so when you pick up that Alternator or MP or import that you really wanted more of an event. It kind of cheapens that effect if you get new random TF's on the way home from work a few times a week. YMMV

4) I don't really get collecting MISB/MOSC collecting personally. If it's an investment that's fun to do? Then yay, I guess. But if you're not trying to make an investment and they are being tossed into a big rubber bin, then I'd argue that you're still just window shopping even after you've bought the piece.

...unless they are Titaniums. Those really should stay in the box, because once most of them are out of the box, they shit themselves like a dehydrated infant.

Yeah, I have a house about that size. I could use one of the four bedrooms, but honestly I don't really want a TF room far removed from where I normally am in the house. I have my MPs, my Alts, and a few select other figures out. The rest are in boxes in the garage, forcing me to think about whether I really want most of them.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I would go with 1 or 2.

Be more selective and re-evaluate all of your purchases, decide what you'd want to keep versus what you might want to sell. Try differentiating between impulse buys and the stuff you've been wanting for your collection. I wouldn't sell it all or stop collecting altogether. But I would refocus my collection, sell what no longer appeals to me, etc.

I personally think collecting MISB/MOSC with the intent of keeping it sealed is a waste of money and space. Just my .02.

6. tcinternet

tcinternet Speed-Blue Wrecker

Sideswipe, like a lot of people on here, I had to do the same thing. I moved to a college town for a dream job, but no longer had the space or the salary to collect the way I wanted to.

If it was me, I'd thin out the collection first. You obviously love this woman, and the grandest honeymoon possible would produce better memories than a complete TF collection. Plus, more space!

I think Zherbus is right, as well. My collection is miniscule now compared to what it used to be, but the pieces I have mean a lot to me, and people seem to enjoy checking out the display case when they come over.

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you!

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    YES.

Completism is an awful addiction. It doesn't matter how you ultimately decide to collect, but for the love of primus quit trying to buy everything.

8. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

My two cents, not just for you but for every collector:

ROTATE YOUR DISPLAYS

If your G1 Doubledealer and Cybertron Prime have been languishing in a box somewhere for a few months, put something that's been on the shelf for months away, and bring them out. I have a small but distinguished collection, and I know it feels weird at first, but the transformer police did not come to my house when I decided to put my AFA Beast Wars stuff in a closet so that I could display my Animated collection. Not to mention, I'll appreciate those Beast Wars toys so much more when they come back out in a few months. This little trick has helped me enjoy my collection so much more, not to mention it helps with keeping the "gotta get NEW STUFF" monster at bay.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    3300 square feet and still don't have enough room to display? Yikes.

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1) If items are sitting in a bin they aren't doing you any good. Unless you rotate what you have on display, it's time to unload the extras.

2) I started out being a MISB plus loose but I'm moving away from MISB. It doesn't do you any good and make you any money in the long run. The only items I plan to keep MISB in the long run are my premium movie figures and battle scenes.

3) Buy smarter. Decide what kind of a collecter you want to be. Instead of buying everything out there like the legends devastator make a decision. If you really want the item or think that it'll be really popular buy it right away. If you don't really want it right away then either wait until it goes on sale or buy it later used. It might sell out and never go on sale or go up in price but those are the rare few so in the long run you'll be saving more money.

Or you could buy everything that comes out right away and then when you get tired of it sell it right away instead of putting it in storage. This is like owning-to-lease a car. It'll cost you more money then waiting for sales but it's less time consuming and guarantees you'll always have what you want.

4) Read smarter. Right before I went into this thread I was wondering if tranformers forums actually cause me to buy more. Before I found the forums I only bought the ones I liked. I may have missed out on some good ones then but now I sometimes get caught up in the gotta-have-them-all hive mind of the forums and have all of the bad ones also. When a new figure comes out and you read the feedback on it look for the one bad comment out of every ten with glowing praises. The negative comments tend to be realistic whereas the positive comments are biased. Ask yourself if the problem discussed would bother you.

Examples:
    Animated Arcee
    Pros: it's ARCEE!!!
    Cons: hands have stress issues which seems to be the norm

ROTF Bludgeon
    Pros: it's Bludgeon. and his turret becomes his sword! and he has a scabbard.
    Cons: The sword is bent, and he's a movie/classic mix so his legs are insect-like

ROTF Mindwipe
    Pros: it's Mindwipe!!! And I can't find it anywhere so it must be popular.
    Cons: Mindwipe who? I can't find it now because it just came out but in a month it'll be shelfwarming for half a year.

ROTF Jetfire
    Pros: nice BIG alt mode
    Cons: lining up the jet mode's a bitch. And his combination with optimus isn't too impressive either.
    Buy him at $45 or wait to he goes down to $25?

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is what I'm doing (well, I don't know if I would marry my GF but i'm just saving money for a rainy day). I pretty much sold off all my Season 3-4 Stuff and I plan on ONLY keeping the figures and Characters i'm really fond of. Honestly, I wish the MP line was a little bigger because I wouldn't mind just owning the Season 1 Characters MP size. Then I could sell all my vintage/henkei/classics stuff and not even think twice about it.

Its a hard decision but if you can't display everything, why even own it? Thats the crossroads I came across a few months ago and then I started the purge. Sure, my collection isn't as big as it once was but I like being able to display my figures in a variety of positions rather than Robot mode only because I don't have the space for Vehicle mode.

12. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

For me:

Completism collector. BAD.

MISB/MOSC collector. BAD.

It's a hobby, so whatever makes you happy is how you should go about it, and if your girl is happy with that, than no problem I guess.
    Could the money/space be better spent on something else? Well there's your million dollar question. It's all relative. Personally, I'd say get rid of the stuff you don't have your heart into, and the stuff that will never see the light of day in a display.

Displaying my stuff is half the fun for me, it'd mean nothing to me having all sorts of goodness packed away in crates somewhere.

Good luck with your decision.

13. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

1 and 2!

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    buying all new stuff all the time will eventually drive you to a time were you cant display everything. This is why I collect vintage..there is only that much to get.

15. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FACT: Buying Transformers (or any toys for that matter) and keeping MISB as some kind of "investment" is laughable at best. You are making some pretty big assumptions about what the economy/interest level will be like in the future when you go to sell.

16. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The funny thing, it was never about the investment. It had to do with some of what I lost was the original Takara Re-Issues, with the nice book style packaging, and I started to display items still in their package. Like for what I have on Display, the 2 US Masterpieces, and the SDCC Soundwave are all still sealed, sitting on top of the bookcase.

17. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What I did:

1. Rotate your displays. If it sits in the box forever, then what's the point of having it?
    2. Spend a weekend/week/month/whatever going through everything. This wasn't just doing a quick inventory - I went through everything, checking for all pieces/instructions/box, etc, making sure nothing was broken, etc - and ended up transforming everything that wasn't MISB/SC at least once. Tough to do if you're an MISB collector, but you get the idea.

I didn't have a complete inventory before. Make a list. Once I had a list, I went through it, splitting the list into 2 parts: what I couldn't bear to part with, and what I couldn't care less about. Once I had that list, I made one more: What I would like to have - past present and future lines included.

3. What #1 and #2 forced me to do was to focus: what do I prefer to display, and what do I prefer to collect? I kinda had a few half-assed ideas about what I collect and what I don't, but after making an actual inventory and making lists of what I had and what I want, I started to realize just what I'm really after. Then I went back to my lists, and things started moving around a little - some of the stuff I wanted long ago doesn't really fit. Some of the stuff I thought I wanted wouldn't fit. Some of the stuff that was great way back when isn't really that interesting to me anymore. Don't get me wrong, I was trying to narrow down the collection, but there were still plenty of toys I couldn't see myself getting rid of - it's not like I was getting tired of collecting TF's. My lists changed a little, and I ended up with a list of stuff that I started getting rid of - and that list has had more and more additions as time goes by and I get my collection more and more focused.

That's not to say that I cleaned out an entire house of TF's and now I'm down to a handful - I still have quite a lot, and I'll still have more in the future - but I feel better about what I have, and I don't think I'm a TF packrat anymore.

Oh, and that's good advice above about being a completist: It's the road to ruin. I had that completist mentality during the first Classics run, and it's not as much fun as you might think it would have been; it's prone to failure and frustration more often than not, and in the end you're always left feeling unfulfilled. Not to mention it's expensive as hell. Some people feel otherwise and I think that's really cool, but I just can't do it. If you're ever staring at a stack of rubbermaid boxes wondering "why the hell do I have all this stuff?", then maybe you're not a completist either :D 

18. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Here's my thought.......................
    Keep what you like best, sell what you like least to help pay for wedding/honeymoon etc'.
    Write a list of figures you know you'd like to get in the future, e-mail that list to friends/family before wedding day. Include link's to where to get'em.
    Who knows, you might find some sweet wedding gifts! Maybe somebody might even build you a nice display case for them!
    Just don't sell hard-to-get items as those are often most regretted sells.

19. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Unless you have a space or a financial issue, I'd hold on to all of it and then just tone down your future purchases. Or cut them out altogether until after your wedding.

You bought that stuff because it obviously made you happy. Personally, I think it all comes down to finances. As long as your priorities are taken care of whatever comes after doesn't really matter.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

There are a few rare fans out there that can manage to be completist, but it's not something for most of us.

It gets kind of tough but you really have to start going into the stores and say do I really want this because it appeals to me or am I just buying because it says Transformers and I haven't purchased anything Transformers lately. It's so easy to cross that thin line between hobby and addiction.

The other thing I guess is don't be afraid to take breaks from collecting. It's not like you stop being a fan because you aren't buying anything. Breaks from collecting also help you to keep it from being a habit instead of hey I think this figure is just what I need for my collection.

I agree with the people that say don't sell. If you've got room to store stuff then store it away for a while. You can always sell it later if it turns out it doesn't have any of that magic that makes you a collector.