Need help customizing Hasbro toy shop "Special Edition" Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BoatWithAHole, Oct 30, 2010.

1. BoatWithAHole

BoatWithAHole Boat with holes in it

Hey guys, I bought one of these off of Ebay, stupidly thinking it would be good. I want to customize it, but I'm not very good at this. It seems like it wouldn't be hard. Could any of you tell me how to:
    Tighten the joints
    Get rid of that stupid hurricane punch gimmick
    And make his legs be able to "shrink" with springs.

I do think cutting his legs with an exacto knife and cutting some holes and tabs would work, but I could use some suggestions. Sorry if I'm not exactly good with words, but I don't have the 150 dollars to spend on a masterpiece prime.

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The punching gimmick can be turned off. The lever locks in place iirc. You can tighten the joints by dabing some superglue on the ball joint and then letting it dry before putting the part back on. No idea about the knees.

3. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    How about making a custom roller out of his lower legs

4. BoatWithAHole

Ok, but then I have an Optimus Prime with no legs.

5. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Well, You can replace Prime's lower legs with a pair of legs from the classics starscream mold, but then you'd have to cut off the bottom foot assembly of prime and attach it to the bottom of the starscream leg. Solrac333 did that mod with great success, and I believe he has it featured in a video of his. The joints can be tightened up with any sort of floor finish, Future being the one people have the best results with, or superglue if you have the patience. As for the hurricane punch gimmick, simply pull out the tab you use to spin it until it clicks. I haven't done any mods to mine, but Special edition Prime is my favorite deluxe ever, personally.

6. BoatWithAHole

Ah, thank you. I have a couple more questions though, how would the removing legs thing work? Do I take each leg off and re-attach them, or do I have to take off the entire waist piece? Are the legs on the Starscream spring loaded? Do I have to paint it? I just don't want to break it, is all. But thanks alot, this is REALLY helpful.

7. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    The legs will need to be painted if you replace them with Classics Screamer legs. You should be able to attach them at the ball joints on his hips, although you may need to enlarge them or sand them down a bit. The legs aren't spring loaded, but they are on a sliding mechanism that allows them to compress.

8. BoatWithAHole

Ah I see. Now, how do I get Optimus' wheels in there to have him Transform correctly?

9. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    You'll have to cut off the wheels and wheel well off of Prime's lower leg and glue them to the starscream lower leg, since the sliding mechanism won't work unless the whole leg is part of the assembly. It's really more hassle than you'd want unless you repainting the entire thing. I love the mold, but if you don't then I'd just put it back in the box and look at the awesome packaging.

10. BoatWithAHole

YES! I see! Okay, once I buy a classics Starscream/one of his many redecos Then I'll get on it! Thank you!