Need help customizing a gundam model

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by unicronsupreme, Jul 11, 2008.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I'm planning on doing some custom painting on my TFs in the near future but I thought I'd practice on some of my old Gundam models first since most of them are broken and neglected. The most complete one was my 1/144 deathscythe so that's what I'm painting.

My goal is to paint every piece of the figure. Leaving nothing that can be seen on the figure (when assembled) has the original plastic colors or ant stickers. That is where I ran into my problem. His shield has a red/gold sticker on it with the cross emblem. The biggest problem with this is that the cross is not molded into the shield itself so it would (probably) end up looking really nasty and stupid if I tried to freehand one on the flat surface of the shield.

My answer to this is that I need a shield that has the cross molded on it. I have 3 possible ways to do this and I'd appreciate any input on any of the three methods or your own ideas.

1: This is something I've already sort of started: I've got a 1/144 deathscythe hell shield Pictured here:

[​IMG]
    (that's the action figure, not the model btw)

and since that has the cross molded onto it I could modify that to more resemble the actual shield pictured here:

[​IMG]
    (again, the actionfigure)

as you can see, they're pretty different and it would be really hard to cut down the newer one to resemble the old one without rebuilding some of it from putty or something.

2: I could just sculpt the cross out of putty or something and glue it to the shield and paint that. It'd be easier if I could make some sort of mold for the cross so that it would end up nice, but that'd be pretty hard to do

3: this is probably the easiest of the 3. I could just get the action figure of the toy and paint the shield from that. The problem with that would the be scale of the shield, for which I'd just want someone to tell me how close to the 1/144 scale models the bandai action figures are.

4: insert wise guru wisdom here (your ideas)

Thanks for any help you can give!

P.S. If anyone can recommend a fine point paint pen for doing panel lining that'd be great!
    Thanks!

*mods: if this should be in the customs board please move it there, I was unsure if the custom board was only for transformers or not*

2. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

You could just use an xacto knife and score around the sticker before you remove it, then after you remove the sticker, you'd still have the outline to paint in.

3. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but they're two different designs. The model is the original Deathscythe, and the action figure is the Deathscythe Hell Custom from the Endless Waltz movie. The Hell Custom is also available as a HG 1/100 scale model, so if you're looking to have a model of it, that'd be your best bet, as it's pretty different from the original design.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

score sticker on the lines to be filled later. Pull up surrounding area. Mask around other are. Pull up other are. Paint. Remove mask. Booya.

If you need to lay down other colors first, save the sticker, put down other colors, replace sticker and do above.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

as far as pens go, I went into an ac moore this weekend for one. it was .02 mm, and I forget the name of it, but they also sold them in a three pack. just go to the artist section where they sell all of the loose pens and markers, and it should be in amongst them. it was only like $3.

6. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

No, the action figure is the normal Deathscythe Hell from the Gundam Wing, not Endless Waltz.

7. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I think you are missing the point. The point is that I have a model of the original deathscythe and I was considering carving down the shield from my model of the deathscythe hell (not custom). Both of the molds I have are models, not actionfigures, I just couldn't find good pictures of the shields from the models since no one takes pictures of the 1/144 scale models (they aren't particularly well detailed.)

8. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I hadn't even thought of that. It's genius. That's totally what I'm gonna do. Thanks everybody! When I'm done I'll come back and post the results.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    What about just removing it with an X-acto knife?

10. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Removing what?

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This is actually the first time I have heard of anyone trying to improve the wing 1/144 kits. they're garbage, so good luck.

12. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I have to agree there. In fact IMO all of the Wing kits are. Even the HGs werent that good. I cant really comment on the Endless Waltz 1/100s but I had a few 1/144s and they werent that much better.