Need help creating an in scale city block.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    So I'm building my collection up and with Marvel Fury Files coming out and them being on scale with the Universe/Classics line I'm looking to do a crossover of my own. I'll have all the Fury Files mixed in with my Universe Collection and so I'm wondering a few things.

1: Where would one get 3D puzzles of skyscrapers and other buildings you'd find in new york?

2: Where does one get realistic looking road mats?

3: Where does one get random realistic cars that are in scale with the Universe line? I wanna use them as traffic.

I plan on setting up a display taking place in new york city and having the autobots team up with marvel heroes while the decepticons are teamed with marvel villains.

There will be battles such as:

Universe Superion, Cybertron Metroplex and Energon Omega Supreme vs a group of Sentinels.

Spider-Man and Shield Agents vs Venom and a swarm of Symbiote Clones.

Optimus Prime and Iron Man vs Megatron and Iron Monger.

Things like that, all out chaos breaking out in the streets, stories tall robots fighting even bigger robots while zombie like symbiotes run rampant all over the walls and the roof tops above. I'm gonna love it.

2. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

That sounds very ambitious.
    Good luck!

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Dude, I'm sorry that I can't help you with those questions, as I'm not much of a diorama builder. But I'll defer to those who can, and wish you nothing but the best. This project of yours = :bay 

4. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

for the scale cars, check target's diecast car aisle, theres a ton of differnt scaled diecast cars , the dub city (werd) series are about the right size.

5. Incesticon

Incesticon WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Have you considered making your own buildings? Some card and balsa wood and paint should do the trick. I used to be into Games Workshop when I was a kid and they do some pretty good tutorials. It shouldn't be too difficult to scale up to fit TFs. If you've got a bit of time and patience it should look pretty good...

6. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Model railroad supplies.

7. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I would say you best place to start is a hobby store and check out a actual diorama of a train set. Most HobbyTowns that I've been to usually have at least one set up.

Just ask the older store employees about the materials used and I'm sure they can assist you just fine. I only say ask the older one because on most occasion I will ask the teen help in the store and they look at me dumb found and go ask a older manager or worker, so I go right to the older workers and same time and hassle.

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    using model cars and bulding is gonna cost you up the wazoo. I Did some research when i wanted to build a mission city set and found it just wasn't worth it it. Alot of star wars and gi joe collectors usefoam board structures and either paint them or print out textures and glue them on.

Also a question: I thought the new marvel figures are pretty much gi joe size so they are in no way in scale with any transformers that i can think of except maybe deluxe arcee or animated prowl. Are their figures coming out that are smaller? cuz i might be interested

9. Metal Chaos

News Credits:

I'm actually thinking about using kinkos and foam pieces to make the buildings as well as the streets. Just have to make sure everything is to scale. I was planning on doing this project over time, adding piece by piece until I was satisfied.

Yes, the new Marvel figs are gi joe sized but they're closer to TF scale than any of the previous Marvel figs ever released, Marvel Legends stand as tall as most deluxe/voyager figs so they wouldn't work. Fury Files seems to be right on the money.

10. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree that the 3 3/4" scale is a little large. I go with Animated and Hasbro's " _____ Heores" line for the best human/robot scale when I'm playing with my toys. Combat Heroes + Animated Autobots = win.

But if you're just planning a diorama and want some really nicely scaled Marvel Heroes to just stand alongside your Transformers, then consider using HeroClix or the figures from Hasbro's Marvel Heroscape.

Good luck. Post pics when you've got something.

11. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I prefer to use the Fury Files due to their articulation and detail, though it would be nice if they were smaller it still beats them being the same size as a TF.

I think I'll buy a few of the Puzz3D buildings like Empire State building, Sears Tower and a few others like that, the rest will be foam with printings on them as will the streets.

I'll probably build this thing as time goes by, just like my army of Sentinels I have planned.

The final scene should end up as a block or 2 of New York City with a war between TF Universe and Marvel Universe characters as well as events such as SHIELD Agents helping fight off the Venom clones that have taken over New York city.

12. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Dub City looks good for the city but my worries are with "what is their size compared to the Universe TFs?" Hoping they are on scale with them as I like the Dub city police cars and I'd love to have some GI Joes tossed into the mix to use as NYPD and the SWAT Team. I already plan to use the armored joes/cobras as SHIELD agents and use Joe and Cobra Vehicles as SHIELD Vehicles.

I'm probably gonna wait till I'm living in my own place before I start building my City Block but I'm gonna continue my collection and probably start collecting the 3D Puzzles before I move. Once I have moved and I'm settled in and financially secure then I'll dedicate some time and effort to building the scene. I'll be sure to take lots of pics when I get this all done and I'm gonna be sure to document it as well. I'm also going to map what goes where on the table/mat I place it on so in case I move I can resurrect the set without losing the feel/look the original had.

I'm also not going with G1 Scale as the humans were like ants compared to the Transformers, I prefer the IDW scale as it looks better and fits in more with what I have to work with though I would settle for a larger Unicron ;) .

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

If you're looking for vehicles in scale with the TFs, most deluxe sized cars around 1/32 scale. The concept Camaro Bumblebee mold from the movie line matches up almost perfectly with a die cast 1/32 scale concept Camaro I have. Classic Camaro BB is closer to 1/35 scale, though.

Fury Files figures will be 1/18 scale, so any vehicles sized for them, with dwarf the TFs in vehicle mode.

14. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

That might work for some pieces, albeit pricey.

Also, this page and other pages around have the patterns you can print out. I've done it before for Fantasy gaming, and by just getting poster board as backing, it tends to work well.

Lastly, I'm sure you know about this already, but the same thing exists for Teletraan-1/Ark/Nemesis here.

15. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I'll work out most of the kinks as I progress in this project. I'll have to find a decent sized table that is affordable and sturdy. Probably a vinyl top folding table of some sort. If/When I get this project going, assuming I have a camera by then, I'll try to take as many pics as possible of before, during and after construction pics and post them in Radicons so others can do them their selves if they wish to.

I'll also buy and mod some wall mounted shelves so they have extending bars in which I can hang various strands of fishing line to use to suspend various flying TFs with, such as Jetfire, Stormcloud, the Seekers and all the SHIELD Agent Jets and Choppers.

I suspect this project will be timely and expensive which is why I plan to do it over time, I really hope this experiment goes well and that it turns out well. I'll be sure to keep you all posted as it progresses.

Thanks for all the positive replies, hearty input and great ideas everyone.

16. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Also, if you want to take a page from the playbook of war-gaming, you could develop, say, a 5'x5' scene and break it up into squares to make it more modular. I know model stores have some really good stuff for scenery like street trees and traffic lights.

17. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I'm thinking I'm gonna find a way to strengthen these 3D puzzles after i assemble them, maybe use super glue or something on them.

Another thing I'm looking into is using legos to make the buildings.

18. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Looks like I'm gonna have to put this project on ice until I can secure a job and my own apartment. I'll keep ya posted onto as when I start it.

19. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please do I am very interested with what you come up with. Good Luck.

20. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    They'll be slightly small compared with Autobot cars (which are close to 1:32), but you'd get a lot closer removing WizKids - Marvel HeroClix figures from the bases and using them....