Need help chosing a new phone

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mumps, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Hi all,

Well, my cellphone is due for an upgrade. I have an old Samsung SGH-D807, and I think it's lived long enough.

My current choice is the new Blackberry Pearl flip phone. But I am not sure if Blackberry is right for me. As in, I don't use enough of the functions to make it worth it. I text sometimes, I would LIKE to have faster MSN on my phone, but it is something I can do without. I don't browse internet on my phone, and I barely go over my limit of 200 weekday minutes (unlimited evenings and weekends, plus "My5")

I am with Rogers in Canada. But most american GSM phones are available through Rogers anyways.

I either want a flip phone, or a slider. And I definately don't want something as big as a standard blackberry, or iphone (which is why I mentioned I like the Blackberry Flip phone above). And I do not care about MP3 playback. I have an ipod, no need to play music on my phone.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    my gf has the bb flip and her only issue is the fact it takes like 5 min to boot and the paint chips way too easy. we called tmobile and they said to take it to a store to be olooked at. he reinstalled the bb os and still takes forever to boot. they gave her a pen with matching paint for touch ups. i have a g1 and i live it ti pieces.

3. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Boot time isn't that much of an issue with me. as I keep my phone on 24/7, and almost never let the battery completely die.
    And as far as paint chipping goes, I keep very good care of my phones, and always have them in a protective case attached to my belt. My Samsung looks brand new still. save for a couple of smooth marks from sliding the phone in and out of my phone case for 2 years.

My biggest issue with the Blackberry flip is the fact that I will be switching from a $25/mo plan to a $45/mo plan (before taxes/fees). After tax, fees, and packages (call ID, voicemail) it will end up as $65 instead of the $45 I pay now. I can afford it, I am just worried if I can justify it or not... Which is one reason I was wondering what other good phones are out there. I mean, the best phone I can think of right now is the BB Flip, but it's hard for me to justify cause I am cheap, lol.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I have the LG Dare, which I find to be a fantastic phone. It's a total touch screen though, and not a flip phone. It's also probably a bit bigger than what you are looking for.

My suggestion is to go to your local provider's store (if they have them in Canada. They have Verizon Wireless stores here in the US) and play around with the working models in the store to see what you really like.

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

People keep telling me to get a blackberry, but for some reason I keep passing on it.

Usually research in the customer reviews sections from different sites like Amazon,Best Buy etc...

6. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I love my Palm Treo 750. It's a great phone that get's lost in the shuffle made by juggernaut that is Blackberry though.

7. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Samsung has always been my favorite brand. But I have a Samsung Stripe phone from T-Mobile and I had it for over a year. But I have to recharge it more than my last Samsung phone.

8. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

They have the LG Dare in Canada (Telus only). I'm looking forward to a cel phone upgrade this year, probably a Samsung Instinct or the Dare. (I use Telus myself)