Need help:Anybody here know anything about Turtles??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sto_vo_kor_2000, Jul 14, 2011.

1. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Like the title says, does anybody here know anything about turtles and their behaviors?

My daughter has a pair of red Eared Sliders, and the female is acting odd, she has cornered herself off on a try section of the tank and isint eating.

I'm guessing shes either sick or laying eggs, but I was hoping someone might know something to help me figure out which.

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    PM ersico, he might know

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

thanks for the advice

4. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

If the turtle gets worse, take them to a Veterinarian who sees exotics, and definitely have everyone in the house wash their hands after handling them...

...Qapla'

5. Grepicon

Grepicon Well-Known Member

I have been around turtles my whole life.

How old is the female Slider? Are you sure there is a male and female in the tank?

How long have this pair been together? It could be a behavior problem and they are are not getting along.

Two common problems with storebought red ear sliders are the turtle verison of "Ich" which is just fungus. where the skin glazes over in a white hue - especially noticeable over the eyes. This causes them to be lethargic and makes them sick. If not treated early enough they will most likely die.

The other is ingesting gravel along with their pellets/food.

When in doubt, I use my own basic troubleshooting guide.
    1. thoroughly inspect the turtles.
    2. Clean the tank and everything in it .
    3. keep a log of feeding, she is eating or not.
    4. Adjust temperature, lighting, habitat
    5. change the food option.

Then hit the forums.

This is the place to go:

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2142

http://www.redearslider.com/index_basic_care.html

Be sure to take pictures and provide all the info you can and they will be more than happy to assist you.

6. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

This. I would also check for soft shell, and make sure she is breathing okay, as it's possible she could have pneumonia. Those are the two most common turtle sicknesses I have dealt with.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That softshell thing is no joke. I kept one of mine out of the sun too long and his shell softened up , curled up a little and cut into his sides. It died.

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know there is a zombie boy named John who likes them....

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

thanks

I'm not sure how old they are, and my daughter seems pretty sure she has one of each.

heres a pic of the bigger one [phone is for scale]
    [​IMG]
    my daughter has had them 4 months, got the from a friend who claimed he had them about 6 months
    she still hasnt eaten but shes a bit mobile today.

We took her out of the tank and put her on the floor and she took off real fast
    thanks for the advise

This is the place to go:
    great, thanks for everything.

just checked for that,shell seems normal.

again, thanks everybody

10. Trenner Dios

Did you check the underside of the shell, the plastron? You'll want to check the middle area, very gently, for softness. I found when I had turtles, if they had any sickness they usually stopped eating. Soft shell was the most common ailment.

What kind of setup does she have for them? Does it have a decent filter? Turtles can dirty up a cage really quick if it doesn't have a decent filter, and that can cause all kinds of health issues for them over time.

Also, I don't think this will help with her not eating, but if you really want to be sure of the turtle's sex, this will help you: http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-a-Turtle-Is-Male-or-Female

I should warn you that it's much more difficult to tell sex in smaller turtles like the one in your pic, at least from my experience.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Yea the males have a "dip" in the underside of their shell, the females are flat underneath. The dip is there for ease of mating. As far as the symptoms go, I had 6 sliders at once growing up and have 1 now and have never had any kind of problem. I hope it works out, I know my kids love Squirt. Good luck.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I did check, but since I dont know what normal is its hard to tell whats too soft.
    10 gallon tank with a filter rated for a 20 gallon
    we bought some feeder guppies and put them next to the tank and she went nuts trying to get at them.

seems shes feeling better.

we changed the water/filter cartridge and cleaned most of the rocks, we left her net alone just incase.

thanks all

13. Grepicon

Grepicon Well-Known Member

I am glad I could and help and even happier your girl is doing better. She looks a little young to be pregnant, but females have been known to go through a process where the feign pregnancy, kind of like internal training wheels for the real thing.

Turtles can be more responsibility than you could realize, but once you get the basics down and check out the site I hooked you up with, it is smooth sailing.

Please check out the site to see the appropriate amount to feed them. The more you feed them, the faster they can grow, and the goal is to not have a large turtle any faster than you can.

Salmonella on turtles, and reptiles in general, in my opinion and many other herpaphiles, is greatly exaggerated. When it comes to PETS, that is. Now wild reptiles, that is a different story. That is not to say that washing hands does not help, especially BEFORE handling turtles as well.

Glad you are OK with feeding them guppies, they really enjoy that. But please note that the gravel normally sold for fish aquariums is a poor choice for turtles, please use rocks or pebbles bigger than their little beaks. Bloodworms are also a tasty treat!

Soft shell is initially determined when you press on an area that is simply softer than the rest of the shell area :)  The fact that you have 2 turtles of the same age and species makes this even easier for comparison sakes. This is often followed by discoloration as well.

Cheers!

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

thanks for all the help and tips

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am glad this wasn't about those other turtles. i never could tell which color bandana Donatello wore.

i do really hope your turtles come out better than ever. good luck.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know they go all the way down.

17. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

If you need to spot it visually, soft shell can make the shell look blackish and velvety with minimal to no pattern (in my experience) with the shell plates. What's normal is a clean shell with visible plating and absolutely no give whatsoever if you poke it.

I'm glad she's feeling better. Make sure you've provided a "basking" area where both turtles can leave the water in the tank and get dry if they want under the basking lamp. Providing proper UV exposure will help cure/prevent soft shell.

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

more great tips

thanks to all.

19. Trenner Dios

Good luck! I hope she is still doing better. Maybe post some more pics!