Need DS recommendation(s)!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Paladin, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, after an afternoon of trade-ins, I now have about $300 in GameStop/EbGames credit. The majority of that will be spent on a DS Lite system as soon as I can find a place that has them. The rest will go towards games.

The only one I know I want is "New Super Mario Bros." I'm thinking about Mario Kart, Metriod Hunters (or Pinball) and Tetris. Can anyone recommend some other good (possibly cheap) DS games?

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    There have been a number of recommendation threads like this. Maybe a search will give you the results you are looking for. You got a good list so far.

3. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sonic Rush

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Advanced Wars
    Sonic Rush
    CastleVania DoS
    Mario Kart DS

I hate to say it but the NSMB game is not a must buy. Its good, but not nearly like it was hyped to be. Still a solid platformer.

5. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Yeah I just got New Mario Bros, fun as hell I have to say, though up to the last level already (though straight shot and only found a couple secrets)

I plan to get Castlevania DoS and the new one.
    Tetris
    Dig Dug (hey I like old school games :p )
    Mario Kart DS

Dunno about any others right now but been checking EB Games listing for game titles.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Lost in Blue
    Animal Crossing
    Advance Wars DS

7. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    I own Advance Wars, Mario&Luigi 2, NSMB, Metroid, Castlevania, Kirby, Mario Kart and M64DS. I love all of them, but I grew tired of Mario Kart and M64DS fast. Do not underestimate Kirby.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

PHOENIX WRIGHT...that is a great game.

9. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Sonic Rush
    It's a traditional sidescrolling sonic game, and likely the most blindingly fast of them all, with the added flair of the 3D games.

Mario 64
    What hasn't been said about this masterpiece of gaming?

Meteos
    If you like puzzle games this one is crazy addictive.

Animal Crossing
    Be warned. This game will become a permanant part of your life.

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
    A solid 2D game if ever there was one.

10. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    Tetris DS is addictive as hell, especially wi-fi
    NSMB is a great addition to the Mario library
    Phoenix Wright is also a great and different game
    Mario Kart is, well it's Mario Kart
    and Meteos is a great puzzler too

11. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Big Brain Academy is ok. especially for $20. I've heard a few people comment that Brain Age is better simply because there is a reason within the game to play a little bit every day, which BBA does not have. And with other games I can't really see myself playing it every day. It was fun for awhile, since it was my first DS game and I loved playing with the touch pad. But, the other night when it was still my only DS cart, I found myself playing my GBA Advance Wars cart on the system instead. I forgot how much fun that game was.

I'm loving Meteos (which I got yesterday). Probably the most fun I've had on a puzzle game since the Tetris that came with the original GameBoy. It makes great use of the touch pad as well.

I got NSMB and Tiger Woods this morning with the last of my store credit (had to wait for them to get NSMB from their other store, or I'd've picked it up yesterday), but my DSL is charging, so I only messed with them for a few rounds.

So far I love NSMB. It's a lot of fun, but the one thing that really struck me is that it's just such a beautiful game. I only went thru the first level, because I wanted to try out both games before I set my DSL to charge for work tonight.

Tiger Woods is fun, if you're into the PC/console game. I've heard that True Swing Golf is better, but they only had this golf game and it was on sale. But I'm happy with it so far.

The game store has Trauma Center in stock at their other store and I'm going to pick it up next week after payday. And my copy of Phoenix Wright shipped from Play-asia.com today, so I'll have six games to play with next weekend.

There are still other games that I'd love to get too. I'll definately buy Elektroplankton, Metroid Pinball, Magnetica when I can afford them all.

To be honest, there are more DS games that I want that there are for any of the three next gen consoles. The DSL is the best gaming investment that I've made since the Dreamcast.

12. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    I picked up Jump! Superstars and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan yesterday, both are really good.

Jump! took me an online walk-thru to figure out what was going on, but now it's pretty fun, and nice to have a type of fighter on my DS. If you're a big anime/manga fan you'll definately love it. (I only know the DBZ, & JoJo characters, well those and Naruto and Yugioh just because I've seen their other games and stuff.)

Ouendan is a really good rhythm game with tons of quirky Japanese cutscenes going on during the game. It's a bit difficult at first, especially if you have an itchy stylus like me. And the language barrier is nearly non-existant, it's very easy to navigate and it's always easy to figure out what's going on. I highly recommend it.

The day before that I picked up Trauma Center and it's really cool as well, very different and definately one of those weird foreign gems we rarely get over here.

Now my DS library doubles my PSP library and I've only had it a week. Plus I plan to pick up Mario 64 DS, Super Princess Peach, and Zoo Keeper tomorrow at EB used (if they're still doing their buy 2 get 1 free used deal).

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Lost in Blue is a challenging game, i'm at a point where i can't move furthur case i end up dying before i make it back to the holt.

Trauma Center starts to get challenging too. and it aint one fo those game where you can put it down for a week or two can just right back in (in my case, i couldn't)

14. Deathy G1

Deathy G1 Sharp N Squishy

News Credits:
    New Super Mario Brothers rocks, it is a whole new Mario game that uses the graphics muscle of the DS to further gameplay in ways the side scrolling Mario Games never have.

Tetris DS is the best Tetris game in years, and a great way to experience the DS's online WiFi feature. It has classic tetris, as well as several innovative variations, plus graphic and sound homages to old NES games.

Dig Dug: Digging Strike is a perfect update to the classic game and has some added depth. It is actually a combo of the styles of Dig Dug 1 and 2, with the overhead view of 2 on the upper screen and the side view of 1 on the bottom. Essentially, the goal of the game is to catch the main boss on a sinking part of the island by driving in stakes and creating cracks like you would in DigDug 2. However, to drive in stakes, you must go underground (into the DigDug 1 view) and dig under them to sink them. It has some strategy to sink the right part of the island when the boss is on it. The stakes create cracks in different directions based on their color, and there are other items you can collect to change the stake direction, as well as other effects. As the levels progress you will have to use timing and strategy to sink the boss. It is a great combination and expansion of the series, and my favorite DS game.

15. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I just got me a DS Lite myself and I'm really digging that Brain Age not bad for $15 (I used the coupon that was posted about recently).

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Elektroplankton is a demo at best. Not worth paying any money for IMO.