Need Advice, What should I collect?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by hoots, Feb 6, 2008.

1. hoots

hoots Well-Known Member

Like most i was a kid without the means to collect or really own many transformers. But i always had a passion for them.

Now all grown up with a income of my own i would like to start a small collection.

I collected the movie line and did a pretty good job of making a complete U.S. released set. Im waiting on a few unreleased items but i'm just about done with the movie line.

So what should i go after now?

My primary interest growing up was G1. I was never into the beast wars or other spin offs.

Starting a G1 collection from scratch probably is a little out of my pay-scale right now.

Any suggestions? What about the G1-Classics? Any other ideas?

Also, im curious to hear if people prefer In-Box items or loose items for displaying and collecting?

Thanks for any opinions!

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can't go wrong with the Classics line released in late 2006.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

In my opinion, the Classics are pretty well tops; G1 characters with modern-style figures and much improved articulation. There are also moulds from previous lines that serve well as Classics that haven't been released yet.

Another alternative I really like is Delta's Microverse, using the likes of WSTs and Micromasters to make a kind of micro-G1 of his own. It enables you have a large collection of figs, relatively cheaply, and which doesn't take up that much space.

As for the loose/boxed argument, I mostly don't bother keeping the boxes, simply by dint of having nowhere to put them - the loose figs take up plenty of space as it is! And I like to play with my figs too much to keep them in their boxes for long, anyway.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Classics are nice and you would not have to go looking for a ton of them as the line itself is pretty small.

5. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have slowly collected a complete first year ('84) G1 collection. All are loose, and all are in great shape. I just watched for deals, bid on auctions ending in the middle of the night (less competition) and bought a few underpriced lots to get what I wanted. I find that by winning lots with a few items that I want, and other stuff that I can break up and re-sell for more, I can collect them pretty cheaply. My '85 collection is starting to grow, just from collecting the few that I had as a kid, but I fear I may have to complete it soon.

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

G1. I would make like a top 5 list of the ones you want the most and work on those. Then continue on doing the same thing. That's how I started back in the day.

7. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Depending on your income, I'd say Masterpieces as well as Classics :) 

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Classics most definitely. Fantastic updated versions of the original G1 characters.

9. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As many people here can attest to, collecting Transformers can get out of control. First you need to set an attainable goal. Then you set a budget. You need to be able to limit your collection because otherwise you will never be happy and buy too much. The previous suggestions of collecting Classics is a good one because the toys are still available and affordable. If you decide to buy Japanese toys you are opening a new can of worms, as it is really crazy, for the Japanese are way more obsessed with the toys than Westerners. Basically, you should set an attainable goal (not impossible) and stay focused on it. If you are still not sure, then I suggest looking at some toy reviews in the forum and see for yourself what toys interest you the most. If you choose to buy really expensive toys (rare G1, Masterpiece, leader, supreme, ultimate class), then I suggest buying them slowly to let each one sink in.
    As for open or MISB toys, die-hard collectors want boxes, whereas casual/niche collectors are fine with loose. If you are a big fan of a particular figure, then you can buy one loose and one MIB. I do not suggest buying an entire line of figures twice, though, as it is redundant. The Movie toys are already doing that anyways. Do you like to handle the toys and engage with them? Or do you like to stand back and admire them on a pedestal?

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I used to collect every line, then sold most of it off and concentrated on G1. Then I hade most stuff loose and turned my head to MIB ..now my goal is to MIB up every US G1 fig upp until when micromasters and pretender started ( dont like those as much )

point is..think hard at what you like the most and start there. I rather own 5 figs from G1 complete that I really like then 25 of new stuff that aint got the same feeling. Or if your favorit is BW then focus on that. But dont spread out over all lines or you will find yourself to live in a jungle.

11. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    If you like G1 but don't like the price they go for, there is alway the option of getting the reissues. TRU, Japanes Bookstyle, and Encore is the current reissue line. Prices on the TRU reissues and Encore ar not that bad, especially when you consider that you are getting complete fig with no parts hunting.

Classics & MPs are also good options if money permits, both updated versions of the originals.

I personaly just buy whatever peices I like, no matter what line they are from. Although I personally don't care too mush for the Beast Era stuffs.

12. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

Check the Toys R Us reissues and Encores. I got the TRU pretty easy and I am now catching up on the Encore. The main thing is be patient and wait for a good deal.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to backup classics here, but the occasional Masterpiece wouldn't hurt. Also, I tend to prefer reissues over used older toys, no matter the condition, so I'd recommend Ecores or go a little farther back with Takaras other reissue lines.
    Anyways, definitely figure out a budget, and try not to let completionism get control of you. Again though, if you really want to keep it limited, and like the G1 cast, Classics are great.

14. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

if you wanna go the g1 route but dont have enough $$$, start with the encores. they're still readily available and the series is ongoing. classics are also a good line to collect, they're just a tad expensive, especially the botcon exclusive seekers. masterpieces and alternators are nice too, but they're a little expensive at the moment.

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, I'm not bothering with Masterpieces, either. I got MP Convoy when it came out, but I thought it was a one-off anniversary thing. I had no idea they were gonna release it half a dozen times with redecos and then do a whole line of Masterpiece figs. When I found out they were doing Magnus and Starscream and Megatron etc, the idea of the line lost its appeal for me.

16. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I will have to echo what others have said and go for Classics and reissues.

17. hoots

hoots Well-Known Member

Great info guys! Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I think the "pick 5 method" may be ideal for me.

I am worried about getting caught up in "completionism..." but i think if i start off telling myself im collecting what I WANT... not everything in a series i should be ok.

I bought repaint after repaint in the movie line just to be "complete..."

Truth be told, i dont have much interest in the small GI characters (Bumblebee, etc.) I think i may be better off working towards filling a display case with items i like rather than collecting a line.

Think ill work on a loose Devastator, G1 Prime, Soundwave, Starscream and loose Dinos to start

Im sure that will take me some time.
    Thanks again for all the help!