Need advice on toy storage

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by omega ranger, Feb 22, 2008.

1. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

I need advice on storage to hold my toys, so here's my story.

Well, with my collection of things becoming bigger, the shelves I'm getting to help out making my collection look ugly, I believe I need new shelves. At first, this plan was solved by a trip to Wal-Mart and getting $10 Plano shelves (also see at planomolding.com), but those I quickly discovered, are too small, and I would need bigger and more of them to hold them all.

So I require advice. The area in the basement can't fit shelves fixed on the wall, so I'll probably get free-standing shelves that need no support from the wall. With me on a budget, I need cheap, large, (like 16 inches from back to front like I have currently) shelves, and so far, I only find $80+ shelves that would fit my needs, and I would need several of them.

Do I stick with buying the small $10 plastic Planos, sturdy, but I would need a lot of. Do I buy shelves at the store? Do I make my own?

I need advice, and since I was buying them to store toys, why not ask?

2. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Do you have access to an Ikea? They offer a system of shelving called IVAR that you might like. It's completely customizable and expandable and really doesn't require any tools at all. (The wood does come unfinished, but that's easily fixed with a little sandpaper, some tung oil, and a rag to apply the finish with. Or you could paint it, stain it, whatever.)

I hope that helps.

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I've used garage shop 'esque shelving in my display room. It is a wall mounting track type of system that is expandable and adjustable.

4. iam12fear

iam12fear Member