Customs: Need Advice on Primers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Miggytron, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I'm currently on my third Classics Seeker repaint (Sunstorm) and this guy is proving to be the hardest. With Thundercracker and Skywarp, I needed no primer since I was painting them into darker colors than the base figure's original color.

With Sunstorm I needed to turn green plastic into light orange. I tried painting with no primer and ruined one figure in the process. There's something about this paint that makes it run away from panel lines.

So on this second go around I used a fine surface primer from Tamiya and it worked great! The orange was able to go on smoothly and all seemed good... until I transformed him.

Suddenly chunks were chipping off wherever there was contact. Instead of bonding with the plastic it seemed like the primer was just making a thin layer that was really easy to chip.

So i went and sanded every piece that made contact and repainted. I think it's kind of working but I haven't transformed him out of fear. It's just annoying because Thundercracker and Skywarp were so much easier while being rugged enough to still be transformable.

Anyways, I'm looking for suggestions from the more experienced out there. Do you think I'd have more success by using something like grey paint as a primer instead of the surface primer?

2. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just to be sure, you took all the other paint off right? Didnt he have painted camo?

And did you seal it after you painted it? Generally the steps are:

-clean figure
    -sand
    -clean again
    -prime, let it cure for a few days
    -paint, let it cure
    -seal

One thing I've heard that might help is lightly, very lightly, sanding the plastic you want the paint to stick to, gives it more surface area to adhere to.