Need advice on packing & storage

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Aberration, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I'm running out of shelf space for my figures, and with my tiny apartment, more shelves are not an option at this point, so some of the older figures will have to go in the closet. I didn't save most of the original packaging, so I bought a large plastic bin.

Obviously, I'm not going to haphazardly toss them in there, but what's the best way to pack these guys? I was thinking Zip-Lock bags, but I heard that certain types of plastic bags will discolor the toy plastic. Maybe a layer of bubble wrap around each figure too.

If anyone can give detailed advice on what to do and not do, I'd appreciate it, thanks! :) 

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Normally I would simply put the toys in a plastic bin like you er, without putting them into bags.

To prevent breakage, I would see which mode is less prone to breakage - (most of the time it would be the alternate mode). My next step would be to put the larger ones in first, followed by the smaller ones. With regards to weapons, I put them in the plastic provided by comic book stores.

I have heard vaguely about plastic bags dicolouring a toy but I have yet to encounter it so far. The only discolouring I have encountered so far is when the toys are exposed to sunlight. Sorry, I can't help you in identifying the plastics involved.

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I did when I packed up my stuff was this- for the more delicate stuff (G1) I put parts from a group in a baggie and left all the bags on top. I got some big plastic tubs and lined the bottom with either peanuts or bubble wrap, then put down a layer of toys (mostly in alt mode, whichever way they were more compact). Fill in with peanuts and do another layer, repeating till full. Newer stuff (Energon mostly) just got tossed in a tub with no packing material. Well, laid in very gently. I haven't taken it all back out yet though, but it seems to be working fine for now.

4. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

And usually alt mode is the best way to store them in.

5. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I bubble wrapm everything and have them in cardboard storage boxes, like the kind used for sorting records and files. That way they are well ventilated. I then throw a dark sheet over the boxes just for the sake of keeping sunlight away, but air can pass through the sheet easily enough.

Yes I know that is overkill.

6. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    What best worked for me was to put them in ziplock bags, then put them in shoe boxes, then into bins. Using the shoe box method does limit the number of Tfs you can put in a bin but there's more insurance that nothing is going to break or having a figure get completely crushed.

Like to hear other ideas.

7. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

I agree with the guys posting above they all seem to have very good packing tips.

However when you go to take your figures out of storage its probably a good idea to let them sit for a little while, so the plastic warms up to the new air and moisture etc.. As plastic can become very brittle when it goes through a change from a cold dark box to being in a warmer enviroment with more sunlight.

I'm saying this as I've heard a few people complain about having figures break when they bring them out of starage. A common example is Transmetal Megatron's arm joint, weak areas like that might break.

Any way have fun packing!

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I like storing the loose TFs in alt mode in ziploc bags and then in relatively small boxes, to limit the amount of weight put onto the guys at the bottom of the boxes. If I still have the original boxes/cards and blisters, I'll put them back into those. Either way, I'll keep them in a central closet in the house that doesn't get much fluctuation in temp and humidity.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I keep my g1 out on display. I simply toss the newest ones like Armada, Energon, etc into big plastic tubs. They newer ones are made a lot better than our old toys so the can handle it better. Now if it is something like G1 I will bubble wrap them first.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a very good reminder and advice - I have to note that one down. And my packing style is like Rattrap007's because like him, I find the newer stuff more sturdier.

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I use zip lock bags for my Marvel Legend figs. For TF I wrap them in bubble wraps or newspaper before putting them in large plastic bags or without. There are some I don't wrap them at all just put them on top of those bubble wraps so they'd have a cushion.

12. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Why is ventilation important? Is a lack of air actually bad for figures? But that would mean that Zip-Lock bags (and even MOSC figures) are a bad idea...

13. Kupp

News Credits:
    from what I have been told, gases as given off by the plastic that can accelerate the aging process if improperly ventilated, or some such nonsense.

Like I said, overkill.

14. Hotspot17

News Credits:
    If that's the case, I might as well just store than all in a -80 degree freezer.
    :lol 

15. Kupp

News Credits:
    I think that would adversely affect the decals and perhaps the paint aps.

Likewise frost would form on the toys, possibly leading to warpage due to expansion of the ice, and accelerated rusting once defrosted.

16. Hotspot17

News Credits:
    Was just joking. :lolol  :D  :drunk 

17. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Until I got my new display cabinet, I stored my G1 figs bubble wrapped inside Ziplocks and I didn't use the really big bins, because of the possibility of crushing. They were about 2' long X 1 & 1/2 wide and maybe 12" deep plastic Rubbermaid containers. I had them stored for a year or so until I recently got the new cab. And yes, it is painstaking to bubble wrap them all and buy all the bags, but when you have a near complete 84-88 collection in storage, you can't be too safe IMO. (I kept them in the guest room's closet, so there was no way for excess heat/cold/moisture, etc to get in) And for the record, they were all fine when I pulled them out. took me forever to unwrap all of them, but not a single piece was harmed, much to my delight. If I had to do it again, I would do it the same. good luck.

18. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Something else I remembered after reading other posts- try to keep them away from extreme temperatures. In other words don't put the tubs or whatever in attics, garages, sheds, or really anywhere that isn't somewhat climate controlled. I keep mine in the basement.

19. Hotspot17

News Credits:
    How do people keep moisture out? Besides zip-lock bags? What about boxed toys? It's hard to fit a whole box into a zip-lock bag. Does anybody have a solution for this?

I'm ashamed to say this, but I use mothballs, i think they absorb moisture.

20. Carl

Carl Length and/or Girth

Dessicant? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dessicant