Customs: need advice on how to fix a G1 shockwave

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by blahduh, Jun 5, 2007.

1. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

My first g1 shockwave is coming in a few days, it has a few issues:
    1. hoses are rotten/cracked
    2. Shoulder joints have gaps

Everything else seems ok. Is it worthy to fix him or should I just try to get a better body? Does anyone have any guide on how to repair a shockwave? Thanks

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

You may be able to find a similar hose at a local hobby shop.

Or I think there is a knock off version that you could pick up and use for parts.

3. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really too sure about the shoulder gaps but about the rubber hoses.....try to find one of those early Gundam Mastergrade Zakus. They seem to have some hoses there (made from metal, if I remember correctly).

4. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wait for a junker lot for parts. Though, the hose in from a junker piece is probably going to be cracked as well, but at least you'll have spares for most everything else.

I'd check out Home Depot or Radio Shack for the hose, sounds like something they would have.

5. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

If the shoulders have gaps to them..That means the spring and screw pegs have broken inside, and the springs are now forcing the shoulders apart. I had it happen to mine, a lot of Shockwaves have that problem. I tried to reglue it, but the peices couldn't take the force of the springs, and eventually broke again..So I just removed the springs, and glued it sealed shut. Works perfectly now.

6. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Good advice guys, I'll try to post some pictures later.

Is finding the shoulder replacement easy? Thanks

7. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

My Shockwave, while in superb condition (thanks zapdragon!), seems to have a very, very slight gap on the lower left (his left) side of his torso, at his thigh. I was wondering if this is a similar ailment to the shoulders and is transforming him provoking it further, or am I just being paranoid? I'll take some pics of it soon, but any advice is appreciated!

8. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Emaili Curt from TF Source. I've talked to him a bunch of times about fixing the Shockwave character.

9. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Just resurrecting ths post because of the G1 Shockwave shoulder split issue. Should've opened him immediately and returned him at the same speed. ('No problems,' my butt.) Instead, got busy and saved it for a rainy day.

Going to try and yank out the shoulder springs, hope that fixes the issue.

A few pics from someone else's blog if there's interest - G1 Shockwave Restoration — revlimiter.net

10. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Got the springs out, but the damage has been done. Years of being stuck in that position, bursting at the seams, have kind of reshaped the plastic. Cut spring in half and replaced. Would need two long and thin screws to attempt a fix. Putting that SOB back together is kind of a nuisance too.

Freaking trigger mechanism does not key sound/light either. Geez. Anyone still love fixing these?