Need Advice: How do you decide what boxes to keep?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kuma Style, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I tried to be straightforward in the title, but yea, that's where my problem is. We began Spring Cleaning around the house, And my upstairs "me room" with my TFs was going great, until I got to the boxes. When I first started collecting 3rd party figures, I thought the boxes were always really cool so I'd keep them in the closet, but now, as I've gotten a lot more stuff, it's at the point where the boxes are curving around and creeping out of the closet even! And, it's not just third party, there are some Hasbro Boxes i thought were cool like 2010 Unicron, and TFCC stuff.

I don't have any attachment to the boxes, and wouldn't mind if they disappeared, but my question is, how much does this hurt resale value? That's the one thought that's got these still in my closet.

If I tossed them, I'd continue to keep instructions and paperwork in shoeboxes like I do.

What are you guys' thoughts, and how do you handle it? Because, I can probably clear out space in the attic, but want to see if it's even worth it first.

2. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I'm always saving boxes, and then I end up throwing them away after a while. I think what I've learned is that, boxes for the movie figs, or really anything in the past decade or so, don't need to be saved. I did save any of the Reissue/Commemorative G1 stuff, just for nostalgia. Everything else is too awkward, large and a pain in the ass to store. So, that's what I do.

I'd say, the more common the item, the less need to save said box.

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly don't know about resale value, but I would guess it would only hurt it if the person buying it really cared about the package.

However, with me, I usually chuck the boxes if its not something I care to keep (which is usually 90% of them). Lately, I've began just tossing them anyway. I figure if I'm going to sell a figure, I already know what it is and the buyer can research it online too.

4. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, unless it's 3rd Party Specifically or a special item (like the OTFCC, Botcon or anything Takara wise) I toss all the boxes and keep the instructions. Only reason I keep the aforementioned is because I think it does impact the resale value (maybe not a lot dependent on the item, but enough that I keep holding on to them and attract the MIB collectors as well).

If I'm undecided, my rule of thumb in attempting to clear out storage space is if there's even a HINT I'll resell it (and it's something that was over $100 or a specialty limited edition item), I keep the box. The other deciding factor is if it's been KO'd, I like to have the box because it's another piece that I can use to prove it's an authentic (like with FP stuff and their circular tape edges, as opposed to the squares of the KO's). Don't know if this will help you clear out some room or not, but it's what I've ended up doing, because I was in the same boat and kept almost everything, then got sick of it and tossed everything but what I've listed out here.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Honestly I see little resale value in the boxes. I use to be of the mindset that the packaging was NEEDED if I was buying a second hand figure. In recent years that has changed drastically for me. Unless I'm buying a G1 figure, I don't actively look for boxes.

I do still keep 3rd party, G1, and some exclusive packages because I also think they're cool ... but they're stored away in the attic in another bigger box. So it's like how attached am I to these? Obviously if you have intentions of selling some figures or duplicates, keeping the packaging isn't a bad idea because I think auctions are a little more attractive with the original packaging. But is it worth keeping the boxes and overflowing your collection room? I don't think so and that's why I've been getting rid of them. Hope that helped a bit.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It'd be a shame to just pitch them since the packaging art is typically pretty cool, but I can't really think of a market for boxes unless it's vintage or reissue G1. I keep making this point of Hasbro/Takara needing to start their own recycling center where people can directly send back any unwanted packaging material.

I'd probably give selling them a shot, or maybe taking the stuff you don't want to a recycling center as opposed to pitching it with the rest of your trash.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I toss everything domestic. I keep my 3rd party/takara import boxes tho.

8. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    That's another good point, resale. Which goes back to me saying about common stuff, and if you should save the box. People buy up "displayed" figures all the time that don't have boxes. Or even request that you take the item out of the box to save on shipping.

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP and other Special Edition stuff that can go back into the box (like Amazon Unicron), card backs, instructions, and packages for things that are out of prduction that I paid extra for. These are the things I've saved so far.

Edit: So yeah, stuff I think will help with resale.

10. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    MP's are a must, especially the Tak ones. The US ones...eh, depends.

11. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm definitely keeping all the 3rd party, Masterpiece, special editions, Alternity, and (to a lesser extent) Alternator boxes but I'm starting to let a lot of the bigger boxes go though... Especially on stuff that's a pain in the ass to get the figure back into for storage.

I used to keep everything (even the cards/bubbles for deluxes) but I've been cutting the bubbles off of those guys and keeping the cards in a binder inside plastic sheets. I'll probably go back in soon and start cutting the pieces I want off of Voyager boxes and bag up the figure/instructions like what I do with my deluxes for storage.

12. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Solution 1: Buy a bigger house. :) 

I actually did buy a much bigger house this time last year, though "space for robot boxes" wasn't anywhere near a primary concern. My policy is toss any plastic bubbles and flatten all US release boxes. The Japanese and third party stuff I've kept intact. Even with doing that the space the stuff takes up is a bit of a concern for me as well, and at some point I may break down and start tossing / flattening some of the packaging I've held on to thus far.

13. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty much this for me too. I don't keep all of the Takara boxes since I don't have the storage space (which meant I've had to part with some I wish I kept just because I liked the packaging or artwork, like Micron Legends Super Mode Optimus and Tidal Wave); I try to keep it to exclusives, MPs, reissues and random stuff that I keep (like the original Beast Wars packaging).

I hardly keep any Hasbro outside of SDCC stuff. I'm debating what to do with DotM Deluxe & Human Alliance Soundwave, since the ones I purchased came in Hasbro packaging.

I keep any Basic/Deluxe class toys' cards that include the instructions on the back of the card while tossing the bubble because I'm stubborn about keeping the instructions. Any other non-exclusive cards and bubbles, I typically toss.

14. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I've always been a box hoarder. But I don't think the boxes for 3rd party items are as high in demand as those of retail Transformers.

There may be loyal 3rd party supporters, but not really completionists indulging in nostalgia.
    Packaging for 3rd party items get very little exposure also, many secondary buyers probably wouldn't even know what it looks like.

15. Silver Prime

Silver Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I keep all the boxes, as for deluxes i cut the bubble off and throw them away and keep the card back, the boxes do take a lot of room up in my closet. But i cant seem to part with the boxes, some of them do have great artwork

16. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to keep basically everything, then water got in the basement and ruined all the smaller ones. Made me realize that I didn't need them. Now I only keep really cool boxes (usually MPs, 3rd party, not much hasbro although I do try and keep some higher value items such as inferno, although I don't know why as I never plan on parting with him)

17. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Japanese Voyager +, or third party (and G1 obviously). Everything else goes. Shame, I kept my Animated boxes for a while but I just don't have that much space.

18. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    I will keep all third party boxes as well as the cool Takara boxes such as Primus 2010. I actually like displaying some boxes because of the cool artwork. But I am short on space as well for boxes so I will toss all Hasbro US boxes.

I do not think boxes will increase resale value that much but I know it does help people feel better in regards to shipping the toy if you have the box just for the fact that it would be more secure during shipping and if its a nice box, then it will add a little more probably.

19. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like that you factor price paid for the item into it.

Actually that did help quite a bit, thank you. I'm at a point to where I don't feel like selling anything, even duplicates, because I don't want to be bothered with it all. And, at least in my head, by the time I'd even realistically WANT to start selling this stuff, the value will have appreciated to where a box won't matter.

And, that's a big kicker as to why I keep 3P boxes. The art is fantastic! I think I actually may give the box selling a shot. That's a fantastic idea.

Yea. The bigger items like Unicrons I think I'd keep simply because the boxes would HELP me ship them easier.

Yea. Even my IGear ones, the boxart is really pretty!

Well, space isn't an issue. Out of 5 bedrooms, there are 3 we don't use. The question I'm having is if it's worth even keeping these boxes, let alone dedicating other space in the house to them. As much as I love the boxes and have kept them for a reason, realistically, they're just something I never even look at once I put them away, so their value lays more in resale value for me than sentimental. We're looking to start having kids within the next year, so, I don't really want to start making a lot of free space "mine" until we get that straight, if that makes any sense?

That's a good point, ant you're right... they really don't show off the boxes for these.

Dude... that happened to me last year. When I went to move my boxes up to that point out of storage in my apartment building to move to the house, they'd literally ALL been flooded and ruined. All of my TF boxes until then, ALL of my MMPR deluxe Zord boxes... ruined. I was sad.

For sure. Do you have any pictures of how you display your boxes? I never thought of that.

20. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    There is another reason to keep the third party boxes: if you were to sell the figures, all third parties makes it extremely easy to just place the figure back in the box exactly as it first appeared. This makes shipping a breeze, as you can just pack the figure away and not have to worry about shipping it loose.

I have seen third party boxes increase the resale value, because often third party boxes have artwork in them and focus on the character itself.

Hasbro packaging is little more than advertisement for their other figures, so I toss all that stuff. I do keep the SDCC packaging but again, Hasbro takes extra care to make that stand out and not simply be just an advertisement.

I keep the Takara boxes for the same reason I keep the third party boxes; I know the Alternity boxes are great to store figures in and feature some pretty nice artwork. If you're selling a figure, it's also a lot easier to ship.

I guess to answer your question, I keep the boxes that add something to the figure, whether its artwork or storage use, and toss it if it's just an advertisement to buy more figures. Whenever I buy a US based figure from a seller, I always tell them to just toss the packaging or open the figure if it will cut down on shipping; I don't want to pay extra shipping just for something I'm throwing in the trash.