Need advice for Movie collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Charsiupao, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Hi all! I hope this post is in the right subforum.

My son and I have been collecting Transformers for the past week and a bit and we're looking to get mainly the movie characters. We've got a few, although having started so late we might have to use eBay for a few figures. I'm wondering if it's possible to get some advice for several characters, and see if there are any I should avoid at all costs, etc:-

These are the ones we've got so far:-

Deluxe ROTF Ironhide
    Deluxe ROTF Autobot Ratchet
    Deluxe ROTF Sideswipe
    Deluxe ROTF Alliance Bumblebee
    Deluxe ROTF Desert Combat Rampage
    Voyager Long Haul
    Voyager Shanghai Attack Demolishor
    A few assorted Legends here and there, don't mean to be disrespectful, but they kind of don't count apart from Ravage who is pretty much cool sitting on top of Rampage)

We kind of love every one of them, and were hoping to build a collection around these few we have, with a comparable relative scale. These are the following characters we're looking to get, some of which will be a nightmare to get at this stage, I'm sure.

Some of them are no-brainers. Voyager Mixmaster seems to be a sure-buy if I see him, even if they do release a Deluxe or Voyager set which combines into Devastator later, as that set will most likely remain displayed as Devastator anyway. I'll be hunting for the Deluxe Sideways, Barricade and Jazz too.

Brawl, Bonecrusher and Blackout should all be normal Deluxe, I think, or do any of them, if available, look much better in Voyager? they seem to be bigger than other transformers, and I wouldn't mind having them a bit oversized like Long Haul.

Optimus Prime
    Buster looks great, but is he a bit too big compared to the others we have, or is he okay? I've got this Buster/Jetfire two-pack in the shops here, and they both look nice. I'm just worried both are oversized, and that Buster's chrome finish might not be suitable for playing by my 5-year old (even though he's been taught to respect toys, accidents do happen). Would Leader Optimus be better, or would the Voyager Prime size be more accurate relative to what we have?

Any advice on the nicest Megatron and Starscream to look for will also be much appreciated. Or if there are any alternatives to the ones which we already have which are much better than them I'd be glad to hear of them too! Thanks for any advice! =)

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Scale/Size is always going to an issue with Transformers.

The original (Movie) Voyager Prime doesn't look particularly like the Animation model and the Leader mold is probably a better representation... Chrome will hold up with reasonable care..

Best Starscream so far is the Leader Class version.

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This probably should go in the toy forum.

Anyway, considering the Autobots that you have so far, and that a five year old may not want to mess with a devilish piece of plastic origami, I recommend the new Voyager Battle Blades Optimus Prime. In scale with your Ratchet and Ironhide, close enough with your Deluxe Autobot cars, and no worries about chrome or anything like that. He also comes with the most accessories for high playability.

Bonecrusher is only available in Deluxe. Brawl has Deluxe and Leader class toys from last movie, and the RotF redecoed version of the Deluxe fixes a problem that the first one had with the shoulders. I love the Deluxe, but scale-wise the Leader is probably closer (it's a frigging tank after all). Of course, there's always Bludgeon...Voyager tank, but robot mode is rather different. :D 

Blackout is only available as a smallish Voyager. I haven't picked one up, it has rather mixed reviews. Look it up before you give it to your child to play with.

There is no nice Megatron. My favorite is the RotF Voyager but even that's only ok. As for Starscream, the recent Leader-class release is excellent, a true work of art, and IMO it would stand up to some pretty serious play. If you want him to be shorter relative to your other toys though, the Voyager is not half bad.

4. Charsiupao

Thanks for the replies everyone! That gives me a pretty good idea of what I should aim for now! Hopefully they'll release a Leader Bonecrusher sometime. I just checked in on my son at 2am, and he was fast asleep, the Legends Bonecrusher parked faithfully beside him on the bed, waiting fearfully for him to turn over and crush it. The Deluxe does seem too small compared to the others. And man, Leader Brawl just looks awesome!!!

So a rough scale would be Deluxe cars, Voyager Ironhide/Ratchet, and Leader Prime? Sorry for the questions - trying to handle 3 years worth of toys in a week has some horrible information overload. Thankfully I'm only, for now, looking at the movie models. =)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Autobots from the original Movie were pretty much in scale, so Leader Prime, Voyager Ironhide/Ratchet and Deluxe BB/Jazz fit pretty well. Deluxe Sideswipe and Sideways fit into that scale nicely as well, but most of the Decepticons don't.

The Supreme Devastator is in scale with the Legends-class figures, though (mostly).

6. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Skip Deluxe Jazz and go for the Human Alliance one. Not only is it 1000 times better than the Deluxe, it's widely regarded to be the best HA toy overall.

If you want a Deluxe Barricade, the Premium one is nice, but again, you could always opt for the HA Barricade, which is excellent.

For Primes, I'd say Leader class hands-down. It's one of my all-time favorite toys. The buster version in the Jetfire 2-pack is something I've been wanting because in my opinion, that's the perfect Movie Optimus. I've never had difficulty transforming the leader version myself (in fact, I have more trouble with the Voyager Battle Blades one), so it might not be a problem.

Leader Starscream is a must buy. For Brawl, I'd suggest regular Leader Brawl as it's an excellent toy.

Also, he may not be in the movie, but he IS in the Cyber Missions, so you HAVE to get Deluxe Lockdown. Easily the most awesome Movie Deluxe there is, and the most awesome Deluxe Transformer of all time.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Moved to Toy Discussion. :) 

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The only ROTF Devastators available are the supreme class ( no robots modes for the individual vehicles that make him up) and the legends class ( no where near in scale but each part has robot , alt and Devy part modes).

9. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    You need to buy Leader Starscream. Leader Prime as well, unless you're concerned about complexity of transformation (but if that's the case, Voyager Mixmaster will drive you insane). If scale is an issue for you, the new Voyager Prime and the ROTF Voyager Starscream are both solid figures but simply not nearly on the same level as the Leaders in overall win factor.

My favorite version of Brawl is the Deluxe Deep Desert one, which a lot of people are looking to get rid of for cheap since it's been sent out in the free giveaway thing here recently.

The best movie Megs so far is the ROTF Voyager, but the color choice is stupid. There's a better colored one coming in a multipack with some Legends figures later on this year or early next year.

Don't get Deluxe Jazz, get the Human Alliance one. It's the best HA figure and I'd say the third best movie TF overall after Leaders Screamer and Prime.

I'd also recommend HA Barricade over the Deluxe, but if you are set on a Deluxe, get the ROTF Interrogator. Its headlight accessory is cooler than the Frenzy the original release came with, and it's one of the freebies people are looking to get rid of for cheap.

Good call with Legends Ravage. Skip the Deluxes.

There's no particularly good version of Blackout. My favorite version of that mold is actually the ROTF repaint into Grindor.

As for Sideways, I think the coolest looking one is the one coming in the multipack here shortly with the three bikes in Legends class, but it's got a big orange gash down the middle for Sideswipe pwnage effect, so you may not like that.

One final note - I highly recommend Deluxe Battle Blades Bumblebee, if you feel compelled to replace the Alliance one you have at some point. Battle mask, transformable arm cannon, and flip-out axe are all great.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  10. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

It's a tough question about the primes. The buster/Jetfire set is pretty sweet-looking. But leader Prime is pretty intense on that first transform. It's not so much that is hard to understand, but it is REALLY finicky to get into truck mode. Also there are two tabs on the section that forms the firewall on Primes chest-the have to be pulled out pretty hard-to the point it seems it will break. It definitely is a marvel of engineering though. I would make sure learn and then teach your son the transformation in detail if you go that route. The voyager is easier to transform in my opinion, and might be better suited to actual playing. (I don't want to come of sounding like I'm insulting your son's intelligence, it's just that I don't think I could have transformed it as a kid. I think it's amazing that you can bond with your son through transformers) :)  On the other hand, the jetfire in that set is the best there is. Movie-accurate paint and all. Jetfire's character model is pretty huge, so scale shouldn't be an issue.

Human alliance Jazz wins no contest, But then he's way out of scale. There was a "final battle" version of Jazz. It had a battle damaged deco, but came with a waaaay more acurate weapon. There is also a G1 golors version, but that was a store exclusive here in the states. If you wanna go really cheap, there was ROTF Smokescreen repaint of jazz. He's kinda blueish with some red on him, but he stood in as jazz in my collection for a while.

Blackout is kinda a pain, as the gears in his chest automorph like to become mis-aligned, (some cases straight outta the box) and then your out of luck unless you take the toy apart and line up all the tiny gears. There was also a more recent "grindor" release, which is pretty much exactly blackout except he's Gray instead of the original's Blue/gray. That one is probably easier to find. There is also scorponok, who has a fun interaction with blackout- Scorponok connects to the bottom of blackout, and pushing the button on Blackout will spin the propellers AND Scorponoks claws. Scorponok features a very easy transformation into a weird robot mode, but at least it transforms. He also had a repaint.

For barricade, there was a recent "interagator Barricade" release in the ROTF line. It's exactly the same as the original Barricade, but it comes with interrogator arm thingies instead of a miniture frenzy. Again it's probably easier to find than the original or premium versions.

Starscream go for the new leader version-its the best by far, Though if you have to settle for a voyger one, the ROTF voyager is way better than the one from the first movie.

Bonecrusher only had the deluxe release so your set there.

For Brawl, If you can't find a leader stick with the desert version of the deluxe. The normal colors version of the deluxe had a production flaw where the arms wouldn't stay tabbed into the shoulders at all, due to issues with the size of the pegs.
    Also , as others have said, voyager bludgeon wasn't in the films, but is an excellent toy, with a pretty good scale for a tank, also there is a repaint of that out now so you'd have choices in color.

Sideways is a pain to get back to car mode sometimes, but there was the normal version, the dead end repaint, and a bunch of other repaints coming out in store-exclusive sets. He shouldn't be too hard to find in any version as he seemed to shelfwarm alot.

Another cool deluxe you might want to think about getting is Jolt. He's a cool little blue car, with a pretty simple for a movie bot transformation. He's fun thought, even if he was only in the movie for like two seconds.

For Megatron, the ROTF voyager is prolly the best, But again that depends on which Prime you get really. The leader megatron looks imposing, but is severely hampered in posability, especially in the giant gun arm.

If you decide to pick up voyager ratchet and Ironhide despite having the deluxes, Get Recon Ironhide. It was more recent, and came with tons of new interchangable weapons, a much funner toy all around. Voayger ratchet had a release in the ROTF line that was esssentially the same as the first one, with less paint apps, but It shelfwarmed everywhere and should be readily available. There is also a new repaint of Voayger Ratchet that is mostly black.

Kinda long-winded, But that's my opinion anyways.

11. Blitzving

Blitzving Has issues...

Here is my advice.

Get Mixmaster and Gears

(preferably the backyard brawl Mixmaster because then you also get Hoist, who is a g1 homage redeco of the Longarm figure, which is a fantastic toy in his own right) the normal mixmaster is hard to find in stores nowadays, but the backyard brawl set is still available at toysrus (and is available on toysrus.com for cheaper than it is in store, with free shipping(

Gears is a g1 homage to one of the original autobots from season 1 of G1, and he is a redeco of the decepticon Stockade. He's a great toy, plenty of articulation and easy to transform. However, his downside is he has no weapon (though g1 gears didn't either)

You mentioned what the best Megatron and Starscream is. Unfortunately, Megatron has had pretty consistent bad luck with figures. Although, for scale's sake, you'll probably want to go with Leader size, and personally I think the original movie Megs is better than the ROTF megs.. For Starscream? personally, I think nebular starscream (a k-mart exclusive) is the best one, he's not movie accurate in terms of paint-job, but I think he's the best looking.

12. ectoneon

How could I forget gears. An awsome toy, with a nice easy transfrom!

13. DolphinMoo

DolphinMoo Well-Known Member

I like deluxe TFTM Arcee, ROTF dirge and thrust. These robots are not in the movies, but they fit in nicely!

14. Charsiupao

Thanks for all the feedback. Voyager Ironhide and Ratchet look good for scale, but all the Ratchets look rather blocky, while the Deluxe one looks as slim as the movie version (even if the head could have done with more paint - why paint the beard and not the eyebrows?). Both Ironhides are still available here, but the Recon one has silver scratches (battle damage?) all over his body which looks terrible. I read about people soaking him in some solutions just to get rid of the silver, but I wonder what else will come off when I do that. Maybe a really nice Voyager Ratchet will come soon - the Deluxe robot mode is so nice, but the humvee mode is horrible, like he has a bad case of haemorrhoids coming out from the bottom.

The more I look at Buster Prime (and Leader Prime) and the more I watch the movie, the more I want that one, especially if I get Leader Brawl (which some people seem to be selling on eBay loose, and might be a good deal). He may look too tall in robot mode but in Peterbilt mode it's an almost perfect scale to drive beside Deluxe Bee and Sideswipe. Buster also comes with Jetfire and in that set he has his faceplate, which is nice. Jetfire doesn't look so good in the box, but from the reviews he does look better out of the box (the box doesn't give him his old-man hunch on the cane). Still torn on this, might have to buy multiple Primes for display and playing.

I'm sure Megatron's time will come eventually, and a really awesome Legends sculpt will be ours someday. Legends Starscream looked nice in the shops, but really expensive for a .. well, supporting character with little charisma. I'd much prefer a clean Sideways, but the three Legend-class girls in the pack might just do it for me (or make me buy multiple Sideways) - the girls are hard to find in Legend class, and Legend class is almost perfect in scale for the Deluxe cars. Jolt lacks charisma, although I might still get him for completion sake. Jazz has some horrible reviews, and doesn't look great either - hopefully they'll release a nice re-mold someday for Deluxe. The prices people are asking for him now aren't really attractive, given that he's not really the nicest figure out there - he's like a Voyager Ratchet, overweight.

I'll skip Bonecrusher and pray for a Leader version. He's too cool to have as a less-than-half-sized Deluxe and he's my son's favourite Decepticon together with Brawl and (the real) Devastator. Blackout also doesn't seem so hot, and hopefully they'll release a nicer version of him later (Leader?) or a Grindor repaint or something. You never know with Hasbro and Takara!

Gears looks nice, but isn't really in the movie and so it's hard to encourage my son to play with him (In Toy Story spirit, all the transformers get played with rather than just displayed for now. Some even get cuddled to bed!!). My kid got a Thrust for his birthday from a friend, and it's really a nice figure, even if he wasn't in the movies. Despite my efforts to promote him, my son's feel towards him are still lukewarm at best, though, so Gears probably won't have any more luck than that.

The thing which sold Alliance Bumblebee to me over Battle Blades was the eyes. Alliance had the cute blue eyes, while Battle Blades had creepy empty eye-sockets. Is the figure mold much different or nicer, other than having that blade and mask?

I can still get a normal Mixmaster from a local toyshop (although at about 20% higher price than I can get the G1 homage version), so I'll probably still splash for that since it's more movie accurate.

Finally on Barricade - I saw Interrogator in the stores although the original is nowhere to be found (selling for 5x the price i several hobby stores, though). He had those little arms sticking out of his headlights, though - are they detachable? I don't want Barricade's lights reaching out like that all the time.

Thanks for all the cool replies again!!

15. ectoneon

Yeah voyager ratchet is waaaay of the mark in terms of proportions, that's why I was happy to get the deluxe when it came out, despite having a ratchet already. The only thing really going for him is his vehicle mode. Recon ironhide does have those stupid silver streaks, but you could always remove them with a towel and some rubbing alcohol. He don't have too many paint apps, just mostly the headlights and taillights. In my opinion though, the deluxe is superior, even if tiny.
    Yeah it might be best to buy multiple Primes in this case. The buster prime set looks pretty darn nice. Plus there is the bonus of combining with jetfire. But like I said...just so complicated it's mind blowing. There is also the first movie leader prime which is way easier to transform at the expense of accuracy. Decisions Decisions....Lol
    Yeah Jazz is kinda lackluster. I'd only get one if it was cheap...he ain't worth much.
    Yeah Bonecrusher needs a new mold in a bad way. We're pretty much stuck with what we got right now.
    I understand, Limiting it to on-screen characters is prolly a good plan. Once you start buying the random characters...let's just say it's a slippery slope from there lol
    I like alliance bee a lot too. Something about the black and yellow in robot mode really clicks for me. Battle blades bee is a nice upgrade, but its mostly in playability-Battle mask, axe and cannon, He's slightly bigger in car mode, and a bit taller in bot mode, but I would agree the head looks a little evil when compared to alliance bee. Also I think the normal deluxe has a better chest transformation than battle blades. I would pass unless you have a burning desire for the battle mask and weapons. Sooo many bumblebees....I think I have like seven or eight of him. I was on the " I have to get it just to see what's different " phase.
    Mixmaster is another great figure-I'd get him If I were you. I've looked at the green version, but he has a different weird head, and the black in his robo-mode washes away alot of the mold details. Still a pretty good figure, but I prefer the on-screen colors.
    Yup they are detachable, and can fold up and store inside his hood/chest. This is probably the best and cheapest bet for him. The arm things an also mount on his back for a kind of over-the-shoulder weapon. Kind of silly, but the Frenzy that came with the original is not worth paying 5x the price for. Plus he still has all the same paint apps on the interragator version.

Hope this helps!

16. Blitzving

Blitzving Has issues...

Gears: *grumble* I SUPPOSE if I were in the movie for 5 seconds like Jolt, I'd be cuddled too! Hmph! Well, bolts to this thread! I have an aching in my transistors and I think I'm starting to rust.

His head is gang-molded from the original head. It's been done like this to make him look like he's smiling for G1 nostalgia ( since the G1 constructicons had normal faces (well...some of them did anyway). It's nice in theory, but the execution leaves something left to be desired

I personally got both because they both have their own strengths ( I should mention that Mixmaster is my favorite constructicon since G1, so that's why I like both molds so much)

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

My advise is the same I'd give for any toy collection. Go with your gut because there really isn't any right or wrong with a toy collection just what appeals to you and what doesn't appeal to you.

For example I skip the on-screen characters and collect the off screen hybrid figures. Some people just collect the on-screen characters. Some fans collect a mix of different movie influenced toys. So there isn't a right way or wrong way to do it.

Oh and don't forget we should have the toys for the third movie some time in the spring so there is always a chance some of the returning cast could get slightly better figures.

18. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whatever you do, don't buy Deluxe Brawl. He looks good in vehicle mode but his robot mode is awful. His arms always fall out of the little holes you're supposed to clip them into and he has major balance problems. Avoid him like the plague!

19. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Jolt is actually a lot better of a Deluxe figure then some make him out to be. I'd say he's well worth picking up.

A Leader Bonecrusher is just not going to happen. Leader Blackout is more likely, and that's probably not going to happen either. I'm just hoping for a better engineered figure. It can still be a Voyager, just make the engineering better.
    And honestly, with Deluxe Bonecrusher, that's one of those figures that's not really as bad as people make it out to be. He's just small. But engineering wise, he pulls off the character model. I think people are really unfair towards that figure.

I think the HA Jazz is the only second chance this version of the character is ever going to get. He died in the first film, the fact he got a HA figure, much less a second figure at all, came as a surprise to most everyone.

Frankly, I like the Deluxe. It's flawed, but I think people are overly harsh on this mold. I donno, I like it for what it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. PORTER

PORTER energon is just mtn dew

This is my movie collection:

Leaders:

The first movie prime
    revenge of the fallen prime
    Revenge of the fallen jetfire
    Leader starscream coming soon

Human alliance:

Bumblebee
    Barricade
    Jazz coming soon

Voyager:

Tftm ratchet
    Tftm premium ironhide
    Tftm premium blackout
    Tftm starscream (crap don't get this one)
    Rotf bludgeon
    Rotf mindwipe
    Rotf megatron
    Rotf mixmaster
    Rotf longhaul
    Rotf starscream

Deluxe:

Tftm bonecrusher
    Tftm brawl~ he has the arm problem stick with leader version
    Tftm premium jazz
    Tftm bumblebee (09 camaro)
    Tftm stockade