Need advice for Cleaning/ Boxing Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Apr 20, 2010.

?

How can I pack more Transformers in one box?

1. When they are in Vehicle Mode

17 vote(s)
    94.4%
  2. When they are in Robot Mode

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I am packing up my Transformers in boxes just to clean the basement. I need to know will I be able to pack more Transformers in one box if I have them in Vehicle mode or Robot mode?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends on the transformer, but I would suggest vehicle mode (possibly modified to make for a more compact unit), as there would be less risk of breakage of arms, legs, heads, etc. as these parts would usually be tucked inside the rest of the form.

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely vehicle mode, and anything you can do to keep the toys from jostling against each other can only help. I'm thinking you could wrap each one in a paper towel or some nice foam or something (to cut down on paint scraping). Even some of the vehicle modes, especially jets, have thin parts and little pieces jutting out that can get broken off surprisingly easily. I think lots of smaller boxes with only a few figures in each box is the best way to go. Remember, even though each individual toy is pretty light, when you pile 50-100 toys in a large box and then move that box around, the toys on the bottom are going to suffer.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    This is a question for the toy forum, but last time I moved I transformed everything into alt mode and depending on the item wrapped them either in packing paper, plastic grocery bags or bubble wrap.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Newsprint is another cheap, effective packing material, but it can leave smudges, depending on the quality.

6. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is why I save boxes and bubbles - I learned my lesson after having to pack the collection several times. Yeah, it takes up a lot more space, but nothing protects figures better than the packaging they left the factory with.

Mistransform them in whatever way it takes to make it as compact or as flat as possible. For cars it's pretty obvious that vehicle mode would be the most compact, but it's different for non-car figures. Sometimes that means packing it in 'almost' robot mode (i.e. feet/arms not folded out, heads not revealed, etc), other times it may be folding wings or other parts up, removing anything that doesn't have to stay attached, etc. Sometimes trucks have flat robot modes, other times they're better off staying in vehicle mode. If you're going to be storing them for awhile, take each figure on a case-by-case basis and see what would work the best.

For instance: classics seekers can get compact by folding the cockpit into the chest section like it would for robot mode, just don't flip the nosecone down. Fold the tailfins down and the tail wings up, and all you have to worry about are the main wings, while the rest of the figure is flat and pretty compact.

Put the figure (and any parts) in a twist-tie bag (cheaper) or a ziploc bag (more secure), then wrap with newspaper or bubble wrap - this keeps smudges and dust off of the figures, as well as holds any loose parts. I like to put the figure in one bag, parts in another, then both bags into a ziploc bag - it keeps loose missiles/weapons from scratching the figure. If something has parts that are fragile and there's no way to remove them or fold them out of the way, I'll find a cardboard tube (toilet paper/wrapping paper tubes work great for swords, G1 seaspray, etc) or sandwich the figure between two sheets of cardboard.

Put instruction sheets and card backs in another large bag or get one of the flat priority mail boxes from the post office. Use common sense - don't put a bunch of classics and minicons in the box and then dump all of your 6" Titaniums on top of them. Use lots of bubble wrap or some other kind of packing material so that nothing moves when you shake the box - it's very cheap insurance.

And do yourself a favor. No matter how obvious it seems or how good your memory is, label the box with what figures are in it. Don't rely on your memory, don't try to just label it "Alternators" or "Energon", because sooner or later, you'll mix the lines up in order to save space, and then you go looking for Energon Starscream and he's not in your "Energon" box, and you either think it's lost, or face the prospect of going through every box just to find one thing.

7. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

You need two things..

1) Big Rubbermaid bin or bins
    2) Freezer bags

Unless you're cramming as much as you can into one bin it probably doesn't matter if they're in bot of vehicle mode. I change my set up constantly and I don't say, "this guy needs to be in the form of a car before I put it away" because I don't jam pack the bin. Obviously they're a little more fragile in bot mode, but it's not rocket science.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Generally vehicle mode due to the fact that that is where they are most compacted. Though there are exceptions (Movie 1 Leader Megatron comes to mind)

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I always do vehicle mode. That way parts are al compressed and together. I think there is more of a chance of breakage in robot mode.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I always do vehicle mode. That way parts are al compressed and together. I think there is more of a chance of breakage in robot mode.

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I say vehicle mode, if you have an MP Seeker and you have plans to put those away, leave them in robot mode (Damn wings, feel like they're made of crackers).

12. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Depends on which is more compact. I store 90% of my stuff in vehicle mode in increasingly larger plastic bins, nesting doll style. :) 

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always put them in vehicle mode since they generally take up less space.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

I've moved my collection several times. The best way to pack them up safely in a bin or box is to transform them into alt mode and pack them in layers. I put one layer of TFs down then put some cloth (shirts and/or pillow cases) over them. Then I put the next layer of TFs in. Do this for each layer of TFs. This protects them from rubbing and scratching while being moved.