Customs: Need advice: Animated Movie Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by LamboTwinLove, Jul 10, 2012.

1. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

So, I was looking through the radicons and found the below custom. And I couldn't help but love it and want it. But, I kinda want to try my hand at customizing. So I'm looking for some advice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure how to do the blades. So any suggestions would be awesome. Obviously first step, I need to get an Animated Blurr. Next I need to figure out what paints would be best to use.

For the head though, I think I have a great head.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This head came from like a preschoolers Sideswipe toy someone gave me. I'm not familiar with the Animated Blurr toy. Can anyone tell me if I can make this head work with it or no?

Without having Blurr in my hands it looks to my untrained eye that it will work. Or should I just leave this to someone who knows what they are doing and give them my money?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Do you have any prior painting skills?

3. LamboTwinLove

Not on models or figures. On a canvas yes lol.

4. Satomiblood

The head could probably work. You might need to it if it presents any clearance issues, though. I'd encourage you to try it for yourself, but I'd probably practice a bit first.

5. LamboTwinLove

Yeah, I thought in terms of the customs I want this one is probably the easiest. I mean it looks like I just have to pain Blurr all silver, deal with the head and figure out the arm blades.

I don't really care if it retains the ability to transform or not, I display mine in bot mode mostly anyway.

Just not even sure where to really begin.

6. Satomiblood

It shouldn't be difficult. I think a repaint and head swap is doable for a first custom. Just read up on the tutorials offered.

7. LamboTwinLove

I'll try it. Never know till you try.

Now I just have to find an animated Blurr figure for a good price.

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Clearance shouldn't be an issue as Blurr's head doesn't fold into anything. It's just covered up by that back panel of the car roof. You won't have a fin so no need to worry about lining that up either.

Blurr's head is a ball socket, while the neck has the actual ball part of the joint. Assuming your Sideswipe head also has the socket in its head, then it should be an easy enough job.

As for the blades, by some sheet styrene, grab some superglue, a ruler, a pencil and a hobby knife, and then score and break (never cut styrene, score along the cut line, and then break. It'll break along the score line) and then glue the parts together.

9. LamboTwinLove

Thanks for info about the clearance! As for the Sideswipe head it's a peg for a neck I guess you can see it in the pics I posted. I'm kinda more of a visual person then verbal so I guess I just need to get the Blurr and see it for myself so I can figure it out.

Do you have any suggestions for silver paint to use?

Styrene... I can try that.

10. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Testor's model masters is good, but elmers makes a paint marker that is very easy to work with for a first timer. Specifically if your aim is metallic silver (or gold).

11. LamboTwinLove

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into both of those. I do have some experience doing touch ups with Sharpies and all that so a marker might be a good start. Thanks!

12. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

I find the paint markers work best if you press the point onto a palate of some sort and then use a brush. Helps minimize visible brushstrokes and make the finish more even. In that regard, you can thin it with a little water if you like to help with brushstroke thing even more. The main advantage is a very solid cover with no priming. You don't even need to wash the thing beforehand if you don't want to.

Keep us posted on how it goes!