Need Advice about planting a fruit tree.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    After watching the Lorax I thought I should plant a tree. So I collected some seeds from my favorite apple, dried them, and now they are in my fridge for Germination. I even have instructions on how to plant a tree and I watched a video about Apple seed germination. But there is one thing I don't know or the videos could not help me with. So I was wondering if someone knew about planting and I want to know a question. In one pot of soil, how many seeds do I have to plant for 1 tree, 1 or a few?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    1 seed = one tree, but in a lot of cases seeds wont germinate for one reason or another. So plant a bunch, but in different pods or pots so they're easier to separate and transport. Look at how your local nursery separates seedlings and sprouts for small flowers and plants.

Also, many commercial fruit species may have been treated or processed (especially if they've been frozen or semi-frozen for storage, given we just finished the winter) in such a way that the potential of the seeds to germinate is removed by the time they make it to the grocery store. You may want to buy a sapling from a nursery instead.

3. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Thanks!

Well I only put 7 seeds in the fridge for 2-3 week now, but I only need 1 tree. I just hope only 1 germinates because I don't know what to do if I get 2 or more spourting.

4. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You should go to a gardening forum like gardenweb.com to ask these questions. That's where I went when I started gardening several years ago and didn't know very much.

Some trees need to be planted in pairs in order to get fruit. Apple trees need to be planted where they can cross pollinate with another apple tree of the same type or you won't get apples, just leaves and blossoms. Also, you won't often get germinatable seeds from your average non-organic apple anymore. They're often irradiated. If it was from an organic apple, then you have a better chance.

You also have to consider the life cycle of the tree, and how much you'll be able to handle. Are you assuming that in a few years you're going to be able to plant it in the ground somewhere? Do you even know how much space a year old apple tree needs for its root ball and height? A 4 year old tree? Do you know how fast they grow? Pots for trees get exponentially big and heavy and expensive the older the tree gets. I myself got a serviceberry seedling a few weeks ago. I made the mistake of not asking exactly how old it was, but its likely at least 8 months old. But they grow slowly, which is good, plus I already have two MUCH larger pots it will eventually use - one a half barrel, the other an actual aluminum trash can.

--Moony

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Don't put them in the fridge, put them in the sun by a window.

6. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Some seeds need the cold first, actually, and I believe apples are included as most varieties grow where there are definite seasons.

--Moony

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. Plant seeds.
    2. ?????
    3. Profit!

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Is it bad that I confused this as a thread in Radicons GD and misread the thread title as "Need Advice on Painting a Fruit Tree?"

9. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Once it's growing remember to pee on it, it's good for the plant.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Remember to collect the piss in a can and dilute it with water first, though. Too much ammonia is unhealthy for plants.