need a question answered/discussed.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KnightHawkke, Oct 23, 2010.

1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Was pondering something the other night...

Would Hasbro not make more money on, well hell every toy line they make, not just transformers, if they quit wasting money and time on what is obvious crap shelf warmer molds, spamming us with stupid repaints and made better repaints/remolds. Granted with classics 1, 2 and 3.0 it is much better. this Hunt for the Decepticons line is shameful however, I also understand you need some bright and odd colors to attract the younger crowds, got no problem with that in general. I also know your not going to hit paydirt on every mold all the time, I am not delusional, but it just seems like they feel compelled to produce 2,3 of every 10 molds that will just go to waste.

That being said, my biggest dumbfounding comes from the distribution process, sending popular toys to more cities instead of just the 150 that always seem to get them, and on that same note, actually shipping later waves to more than those same 150 cities, It just seems logical to me that sales would boom if they used more common sense in their production and distribution practices, as the product would actually be there to buy, call me crazy...

The town I live in is not huge, but its no where near small either, and we have not received more than wave one of any current lines while some places are on wave 4 of scouts and such. why let all those sales just get flushed away?!? and I know people buy transformers around here when they are not spammed with the same crap for over a year. I see the popular molds vanish like houdini.. if they ever show up.. When the new lines are shipped here they do move, untill everyone in the area already has everything they need then they just sit there and no new pieces arrive so sales are just lost.

I can't be 100% off base here.. I am curious to see what anyone else thinks.

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree, I've often thought this.

Hasbro seem to have this policy of trying to turn a profit on every mold, and I think that could be a little misguided.

If Mudflap was a hopeless shelfwarmer, what's the sense in burdening later waves with Mudflap repaints? What seems to happen over here is the shops end up with a buildup of shelfwarmers, and then seem to give up on getting in more figures altogether. When ROTF Ravage isn't selling at half price, it doesn't help to get in a wave of HFTD where one figure out of four is a Ravage repaint. Maybe if Hasbro took a loss on an unpopular mold, they would be able to shift more of the popular molds.

But granted, I don't know everything Hasbro knows, and they do appear to be having a lot of success with their business model.

3. KnightHawkke

you know its true, they are bringing in the cash, but the potential to maximize profits seems much greater with way smarter production/distribution practices

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Thing is, there is no such thing as an obvious shelfwarmer. And by the the time Hasbro figures it out in regards to a certain mold, development on a repaint/retool is too far along to abandon. Plus, the paintjob on the first mold might have been a problem with the figure shelwarming in the first place. Kids can't just look at a toy in the store and go "oh, that mold looks horrible, pass". Decoration is the very first, thing noticed by the general public at the brick-and-mortar. A great figure can have a horrible paintjob, and a bad figure can have an excellent one. Guess what's going to sell among the general populace? Plus, it's not like the first deco's the only one that's going to sell. The average consumer is the most fickle being in existence. How's Hasbro supposed to know what the public will want 8 months after the design phase? Its not unreasonable to try to sell the toy with a different color. Shoot, if my collecting policy was still "one buy per mold", I certainly would have passed up ROTF Scattorshot and gotten HFTD Firetrap instead.

As for availability, your blame is entirely misplaced. Distribution is completely a retail store thing. Hasbro has no power to fix this. Otherwise Evac/Redpage/HA Mudflap would not have been so hard to find, if at all. Hasbro WANTS you to buy their product. They don't willfully withhold the waves from you. That's Wal-Mart's job.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The individual stores/chains are in charge of what they order and how much they order, Hasbro just fills those requests. If your local store has a crapload of Wave 1 of HftD Deluxes (for example) on their shelves and aren't getting in Wave 4, it's because the store ordered too much Wave 1 and it's not selling (or not selling quickly enough), so they don't need to re-order and won't get Wave 4 until they do. Hasbro can produce new waves and offer them up to retailers all they want, but if the store says "no thanks, we don't want to order those right now, we have enough", there's absolutely nothing Hasbro can do about it. Similarly, if your store doesn't have much in stock, it's because they aren't/haven't ordered it or didn't order enough.

6. KnightHawkke

I talked to some guy at toys r us and he said hasbro forces orders and distribution on them, he could have been lying to me, but I don't see why. Well, Walmart is a lost cause stocked by drones, but maybe I can bring a posse into toys r us and talk some sense into them about over ordering crap.

like I said I know no molds or paint jobs are guaranteed hit or miss, and I guess there is also a local flavor element in there I didn't take into enough of an account.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  7. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

"Some guys who work at Toys R' Us?" Clerks?

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They tell you?

9. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    What gets me is sometimes we'll end up getting repaints of the mold that didn't sell the first time around, meanwhile some fantastic new mold gets skipped outright. It's a typical frustration, because you know they'd sell if they got them on the market.

Things do seem to be improving somewhat over here. Now, even when there's shelfwarmers, at least there's a certain variety of shelfwarmers to choose from, where in the past we'd sometimes get stuck with rows and rows of just the same figure.

I've heard this kind of thing before. I think they sort of bargain and dictate to retail to some extent. If you want to get in X, you have to get in a certain amount of Y as well. They do basically have a monopoly on Transformers, so they definitely have power to negotiate when TFs are in demand. I'm sure there's all manner of behind-the-scenes nuance we're not privy to.

10. KnightHawkke

Ok fine, so I was misinformed about ordering, check. But I know shortpacking is hasbro's fault, and that needs to end.

11. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

As someone pointed out already, some repaints are too far into the manufacturing process before they figure out what the unpopular molds are.

12. KnightHawkke

Would swear he was the supervisor of the section, have seen him there very frequently.

13. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    yeah, we know that, but you know how it is when you wait through a drought, just to see them jam up the shelves with some half-assed repaint of something they already couldn't sell.

Just the same, I've often felt they could've spread the repaints out more, to allow for feedback and time to make the necessary adjustments.

It's like traffic jams. To some degree they're inevitable and unavoidable, but sometimes they can be reduced with good planning and a little fine-tuning.

14. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

It wouldn't work that way. You'd end up with uneven waves and sometimes repaints of unpopular figures end up being popular, so we'd lose out on those gems too.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This is just my two cents and I might be going out on a limb here, but maybe Hasbro knows some things that we don't. It might seem like an easy fix to us, but I think Hasbro has this all thought out fairly well and they don't just throw out shitty repaints for the hell of it. I'm assuming none of us here on the boards work for Hasbro, so it's possible we don't know everything behind the decisions to make repaints.

16. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Well the obvious reason to make repaints is it's cheaper.

17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I can relate. Only because it seems like my local shops are stuck on wave 1 and ROTF mudflap. GAWD I'm so disgusted with those. It does make me angry at everyone involved from development to the sales clerk for leaving me awful repaints of rotf dirge, ravage.

I'm just a hater.

18. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    In the case of total repaints, I agree. ROTF Gears may be more eye-catching to kids than Stockade originally was. I really don't know. RTS Wheeljack may prove more or less popular than Tracks. Something like Movie Overcast takes on a totally different aspect to the original Dreadwing. It's hard to put your finger on what's going to have the appeal. There's a lot of unpredictability there.

But I think it's a pretty safe bet that if Mudflap was a slow seller, Tuner Mudflap will face a similar fate. And when you have ROTF Ravage shelfwarming at halfprice, Sea Attack Ravage is going to be a tough sell at full price.

Obviously we don't know if certain changes would improve things. But we don't know they wouldn't either. It's very easy to speculate how someone else should do their job, and it's just as easy to assume that Hasbro in their infinite wisdom must know better. But no business ever capitalizes 100% of their market potential, there is virtually always room to do things better. None of us are in a position to know how close they are. But they're doing pretty damn good, I'll give them that much.

19. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I like what someone said about shortpacking being something that Hasbro can control and I have to agree. If the case of toys didn't go something like 4 copies of tuner Mudflap and 1 each copy of something else, we wouldn't wind up with 100x Tuner Mudflaps stinking up the toy aisles not even selling for 2$ (I'm not making this up, they're actually on sale for that much here. And still not selling.).

20. KnightHawkke

We have uneven waves anyway, they make .5 waves half the time as it is, which you would think would adjust for more popular molds, but they just seem to be further shortpacking most of the time.

with repaints/molds I think one of the big things you have to look at is what character is actually in a show/movie vs. a made up for the toyline character, for example with the negative backlash from the twins in the film, I would have backed off production of those with the quickness.

I would guess one of the biggest selling points of repaints is making the new character interesting (which I think I saw someone cover, but trying to post and watch football at the same time divides the attention =-D. ) it seems they have been getting better at that.

I think wheeljack will outsell tracks, but I could be wrong there, I for one know I would purchase a WJ way way before a tracks.

Like inthebox said, its just darn hard to say what the heck goes on without seeing national and regional sales figures to compare on a case by case basis. You just get the feeling though that with high speed communications, sales tracking and forecasting software things would roll a bit smoother.. /shrug