Need a little help with my G1 Blurr

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Roufuss, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    If this is the wrong forum for this, I apologize.

I went to transform G1 Blurr, got him into car mode just fine, but then upon transforming him back into robot mode his head just clean snapped off at the neck. It's not like I was applying lots of pressure... just gently removed the hood from his head and suddenly his entire head came clean off.

Is this a common problem with this mold? The transformation does seem to put a lot of pressure on his head and neck. Did I just get unlucky?

Is there a fix for this? I tried a thin layer of superglue and it didn't seem to work out that great. I'd love to find a solution that still lets me transform him while still remaining sturdy. I'm sure there is a way to put him back together and keep him in robot form but transforming the old G1 figs is half the fun for me. First time I've ever had one up and break like this as well.

Thanks all!

2. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

It was probably cracked before you tried to tf him. The back end of him is on hinge type-type join that goes over the head w/ a little slot for his head crest thing to fit into. There really shouldnt be much tension on his head as long as the back part is raised while closing into position. I'm not sure how you would fix him, as I've never taken this TF apart. (Never had to) Good luck!

3. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

:useless 

We might be able to help you if we had pictures so we could assess the nature of the damage. Optimistically, it could just be a matter of swapping parts to make Blurr as good as new.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Murphy's Law states the OP doesn't have a camera.

but if it has snapped off, as described, then your options are quite limited.
    i really hope that worst case scenario is a basic epoxy fix, and at best maybe an entire head swap from a junker.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    head swap, a lot of blurr junkers out there

6. Lunar Archivist

Well, Roufuss said that "Blurr's head snapped off cleanly at the neck". Blurr's head and limbs are all connected to a large black rear torso plate that is, in turn, connected to the front torso plate via three screws. The neck is part of the former plate. If the Mental Polaroid I have is correct, then the head itself is completely intact. That would mean he'd have to swap the entire rear torso plate out. It'll be a serious pain in the ass to separate all the limbs from it, but it can be done with a little determination and patience.

As I originally said, I'd need to see pictures in order to make a diagnosis and suggest a cure. :) 

7. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I'll try to get some pics tonight, but you are pretty much spot on in your mental picture.

The head snapped off at the back plate at the exact spot where it is set to swivel up and down. The head itself is completely intact and it looks like it was a very clean break.

Bah, I was really hoping it would be some easy fix involving super glue or epoxy, haha.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This happened to my Blurr when I was 10. Sorry to hear of another victim.

9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear it isn't just me as doing a search on the net shows no one else with this same problem.

I think the main problem is the whole "hood clicking into the antenna" deal. It's easy to go from robot to car, but going from car to robot the hood sometimes requires a tiny bit of force to remove off the head. It's a tight fit and, imo, not the best Transformer design I've ever seen.

In the end, I took a thin layer of high strength super glue and reattached the head to the back neckplate and let it dry. Then used another thin layer of glue over the connections to create a seal.

I've transformed him twice now, and as long as I am extremely cautious about getting the hood onto and off of his head, he seems fine.

I think the real damaging part is that this was my girlfriend's first G1 figure and after I've told her how sturdy and awesome these things were it breaks the first time she transforms it. She still enjoys the figure and understands the thing is almost 25 years old but it's still a horrible way to start G1.

If anyone has a (really) cheap junker they'd like to part with or know where I can get one, let me know, but I definitely don't think I want to pay another $30 or so for another one just to fix the head. He'll just have to get rarely transformed ;) 

10. Lunar Archivist

I could probably help you out there. I've got a Blurr with a terminal case of seasickness that you can cannibalize for the parts you need. If you're interested, PM me and I'm sure we can arrange something. :) 

11. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

I've never seen a G1 Blurr in person, much less a disassembled one, but if it's like I think it is, pinning the head back would be quite simple.

You drill a hole on both broken side (pin vice work great for that), lining them up with each other. Drill the hole big enough to insert a metal rod (something like gauge 16 or 14), and glue it with super glue. The holes can be only 2-3mm deep, and your piece will be rock solid after that.