Need a little Alternity purchasing advice...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by King0722, Feb 1, 2012.

1. King0722

King0722 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So, my wife and I have finally found a space in my budget for a good decent purchase of TFs. It's not quite MP-10 level, but it's good enough that I can fill some holes in my collection. My question is directed towards those with Alternity toys, primarily.

I have had my eye on Convoy (of any color, but red, Dai Atlas, and white are the sticking out the most), Megatron, and one of the Seeker molds (probably Skywarp, I can't get into the oddity of Starscream's head for some reason). With that in mind, are they worth it? I have read up on them for weeks now and they tempt me a great deal, but putting fifty dollars on a deluxe sized figure, regardless of the quality of the figure, is something I really have to commit on to feel good enough to go through with it, which is where I struggle.

tl,dr; Are the Alternity Convoy, Megatron, and Skywarp worth it for their price of 50-60 a piece, or is it best I just save my money and go blow it on something else like hookers and cocaine?

Thanks in advance, folks.

<3,
    King0722

2. CBII

CBII Well-Known Member

Yes yes they are.

Megatron is one of the best. I'd start there. You may be dissappointed if you start with convoy because of the diacast he's really top heavy.

The seekers are also good and so is Cliffy and Bee.

Also search the for sale threads you can find them for $45-55 shipped from time to time.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Alternity is a hell of a drug.

I only have the Alternity Bumble, but I like it a lot.

However...

If you do buy one, watch some reviews to get an idea of what goes into the transformation before you try it yourself. They can be slightly on the fragile side, and with the instructions not always being the clearest I've ever seen and the price of the toy, you don't want to risk permanently damaging it. I didn't know any better, and the first time I tried to transform Bumble, the tiny steering wheel on the inside of the car was getting in the way of a slide mechanism. I couldn't see it and didn't even know to be watching out for that, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't sliding all the way. I didn't know if something was jamming it or if I just needed to pull harder, and when I finally did realize what was going on, something had happened and the toy wouldn't fold back up flush into car mode.

edit: Actually, messing around with it right now, I seem to have figured out the problem. It was still nerve-wracking, though, after spending $50 on the little guy. And he still feels like a very fragile little toy. I'll probably pick a mode and just leave him like that.

4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Sure is. Although I was able to hold off, when I finally saw them in person at another member's house (even MISB), I was on the verge of trying to pick up the whole line. They look great MISB. Maybe one day, but finishing off my MPs, Animated (almost done), and Alternators (almost done) come before even thinking of starting a new line.

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I usually find bundles on e-bay with free shipping, so you should be good to go if you're starting fresh.

Personally I'd go for Thundercracker instead of Skywarp, don't like the purple that much.

For Megatron you can't go wrong with any version, blue is the cheapest at the moment. Bear in mind that many Black versions have a defect in the gear mechanism for the chest transformation. I personally had to send one back to HLJ to receive a replacement.

I don't have any Convoy version, but I have Bumble and Cliffjumper and they're both great as well.

They really are something, even at close to 50 USD for a deluxe. They are very detailed, their hips are ratchet joints and they have adequate die-cast [which lessened as the releases progressed]. Sometimes I just walk by their shelf and admire them, again, very very detailed for such size.

6. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    If you'd rather avoid feeling compelled to buy all three Alternity seekers, but still want at least one of the mold, i think Banzaitron will use that mold?

Although we haven't seen pictures of it yet.

7. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Not sure if Banzaitron or Galvatron will surface...weren't they supposed to be out by now? But there's not a single listing or preorder for them.

8. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only have Alternity Megatron and Starscream, but these two are amongst some of my favourite figures in my entire collection.

Don't be deceived by the deluxe size, in my opinion the design is on a par with Masterpiece and the better Human Alliance molds. The seem to have had the brief to design 'the perfect deluxe' rather than designing to the traditional deluxe price point.

9. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

Yeah, we haven't heard much about them..... i THOUGHT i saw preorders for them on BBTS or RK, but didn't find anything.

Can't say i'm too sorry if they've been canned.

10. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have prime, bb, cliff and megs. They are all very good toys. The pics online of bb/cliff can be deceiving also cause they are extremely nice toys in person. Probably my favorite G1 bb/cliff homages, and those 2 fit in fine with alternators 'bot scale if you have any of those.

Check around though, you may be able to find some deals here and there. I picked up my bb/cj/megs pack for 100 a little over a year ago, but I think prices have gone up a bit since then. I think you can get magnus for a relatively cheap price still, if you just want to try the line out.

11. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alternity Thudercracker is good. Somehow the tension in his joints have improved from Skywarp to Starscream. The doors still fall off the sockets during transformation but it's not as bad as the first 2. With that said, I went for all 3 of the Orochi sports cars.

12. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have Swift mould but can recommend the others. Their small size actually made me appreciate the mechanism more. If you are just getting one, I suggest Red Convoy or Thundercracker. I perfer Skywarp myself, but the blue on TC is just amazing.

As Knightdramon mentioned many Megatron Black has a defect. Also Convoy mould seems to have occasional weak ratchet joints on the legs (fixable with some super glue).

13. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I decided to jump into the Alternity pool last October.
    I went with Red Convoy, Silver Megs, BB and Thundercracker.
    I wanted 1 of each mold and I think these were the most character accurate.
    If you are patient, you can get good deals on these on eBay.
    I ended up getting all 4 through different auctions for $164 shipped.

14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Alternity is awesome. but IMHO it needs to be continued, dammit!

15. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What exactly was the defect? I transformed mine a couple times, never noticed anything, and have kept him in his display box since. Have the black version as well.

16. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Difficult man for this line to continue,it seems to have just die off.

17. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

this^ iv'e got all of them with the exception of silver prime/megs and dai atlas and gold bug and will be completing the line this year.

there are some issues you should look out for
    the prime mold is as others have said top heavy and this coupled with weak hip joints can lead to him falling over.

bb/cj can get a bit tricky esepecially where the kneepads collapse into the windshield and sometimes the little tab on his spine can be a pain to move.

megs also a little top heavy and his legs tend to want to split sometimes

the seeker mold to me is the most complex as some of the transformation can seem a little "automorphic" especially in the shoulder/chest area. also ive never been able to transform them without taking off the doors.

all in all these are probably my favorite line outside of classics. and these will probably be the last figures id ever part with. their that good dispite my earlier qc comments because lets be honest every figure out there has some issue challenge lol!

good luck what ever you decide to do.

18. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Damn right. Megatron absolutely blew my mind; others don't really compare to him, though. Convoy is nice and chunky, but the only Seeker I have is Thundercracker, who sadly falls apart when I so much as look at him. I'd go for red Convoy and silver Megatron. Never had Bumble and Cliff, so i can't comment on them.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have to agree with that. In fact, I think Alternity Bumble is my favorite version of Bumblebee ever produced.

20. King0722

King0722 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses!

The black Megatron I'm finding is cheaper than the other Megatron molds, so does the defect cause any serious problems that can't be fixed? I'm more interested in that one than the blue and the silver one I'm finding is very expensive. If I could afford the silver Convoy I'd hop on that one, although Magnus interests me because of that Jazz custom I've seen pop up on here from time to time (not to mention it's the cheapest). I've had a PM from a TFW member who is going to offer me some prices.