Customs: Need a help with reshelling some Alts.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rick_Coronel, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Rick_Coronel

Rick_Coronel Owner of many customs

Ebay:
    Hi, I want to get some Alts. reshelled using some Plastic models.

I'm looking to possibly find a emergency van for Ratchet, a big Van for Ironhide but with somewhat of a classic feel.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I, honestly, haven't done any re-shells yet. Lobo, however, who posts both here and on www.tfmaster.com, might be able to help you - he's done more than a few reshells.

I think Squall did some as well? Can't remember who else has done re-shells on here.

3. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
  4. olas202

olas202 Arise Zombie Prime!

I am doing one as well right now. the way i started was just seeing which Alt wheel base matched the model and went from there. as grimlocka go-go said it is very fun and takes alot of patients.

i think there is a link in the kitbashers resource that has a step by step reshell.

good luck!

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I did one and it was fun but came out terrible. Of course it was my first one. I'm hoping to finish my second sometime this summer.

Your best bet for shells is at Michaels or Walmart where they still sell models. Michaels preferably because they always have 40% off coupons in the sunday paper. Look for 1:24 scale models and you're in business. And careful, a lot of models now are actually 1:25th. I haven't seen how these work out yet.

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Some 1/25 scaled kits will work as well too...the important thing is to make sure the "donor" Alt will fit "inside" the kit shell...this may take some modification to the Alt though.....and to make it easier for you, make sure the wheel base is the same for the "donor" Alt and the kit you're using.

7. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

I did a little write up in Op's Recourse thread a while ago.

It can be seen here.

Wheel base and width do play a part but these things can be altered with a little creativity.

Give it a try and if you have any questions, there a ton of talent here that can help you out.

Good Luck!

8. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Tons of 1:24 and 1:25 scale plastic van models on ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C12&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=van&sacat=1188%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=23225&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

9. Rick_Coronel

Ebay:
    I'm gonna try my hands at reshelling even though I haven't gone a custom since 99' but it goes wrong I'll be looking for two commission of Ratchet using a Emergency Van. Ironhide as a big Van.

And I'll be willing to pay $150-$250.

10. Rick_Coronel

Ebay:
    What kind of tool can cut diecast other than a dremel? If I have to buy a dremel, what bit or piece do I need to cut diecast.