Need a good RPG, please someone help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by salmonman78, Oct 9, 2008.

1. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Well I keep spinning my wheels on getting a game. Between work and home stuff my downtime generally bites the dust.

Been thinking of either FF 12(played it before but only got to the breakout of the airship part, did I quit too early?) or Xenosaga or just something good and compelling for the PS2(as I am on a limited budget).

Hope someone can help.

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Dragon Quest 8 was really good, and really long.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If you actually want to PLAY and RPG, do not get Xenosaga.

Xenosaga is for when you want to watch cinemas and occasionally touch the controller.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    My personal favourites which I would recommend to anyone:

Suikoden V - don't worry if it's the first one you've ever played, it is a decent self-contained entry into the series.
    Wild Arms 5 - Not the greatest story ever, but it is a lot of fun, and battles are a blast.
    Wild Arms Alter Code F - not sure how rare this one is, but it is an awesome remake of the first Wild Arms that is among my favourite titles of all time.
    Grandia II - port of the Dreamcast title from the beginning of the PS2, it is a really good game actually. Not the greatest port but again, it is a lot of fun. Not hard, not all that original in the story department, but it is loads of fun to play and includes one of my favourite characters of all time, Millenia.

Personally, I'd not recommend Final Fantasy XII, I found it to be a bit of a boring grind especially if you decide to tackle the harder bosses. The unique tactics you need to handle them is actually quite cool, but some of them have so much HP that it becomes boring as hell. The main story does not go anywhere fast and it feels almost superfluous a lot of the time.

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Persona III FES will devour all of your spare time.

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

ps2 only?

okami is good i hear.

7. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Lunar and Lunar 2. They were made for the PS1 but are awesome nonetheless.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree so much with this it hurts. I loved FF12, more than most people, it seems, because it had a serious story, amazing music and a cool leveling system, which reminded me of FF6 because I could take the characters wherever I wanted.

But DQ managed to be a classic RPG without being a Classic RPG. The world was Huge and you would get lost exploring, the story was simple but interesting, characters were fun, towns were diverse and interesting, and it had enough side-mini games that you could jump in, do some extra stuff and jump out. The music was also great, and I put over 100 hours into this game.

9. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I'm not really a JRPG player, but I had an interest in Shin Magi Tes..... Whatever! Anyways, the game has the title Digital Devil Saga. There's 2 games for it. The 1st game is about tribes at war with each other, they're fighting for control of somthing called Nervanna, but then whoever is in charge of the war wants the raise the stakes and gives everyone the power to change into demons, and they get more powerful if they eat their foes. So, now the warring tribes have the power to change into the demons, with demon powers (duh :p ).

You happen to play as one of the leaders of these tribes and you luck also gets worse when you happen to recover a mysterous girl from one of the battles.

It's played turn based when it gets to the combat, you have your basic attacks and your element based attacks, the idea is to exparament and exploit your enemies weakness. If you do an attack the enemy is weak to, you get an extra action to do, if you screw up and do an attack that the enemy is strong against, you loose an action. The principle is simple.

Digital Devil Saga 2 is more or less played the same way, but with the story expanded.

One pet peeve I have about the game is that the dungion designs are BORING.

Hope I helped.

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Are you looking for regular RPG games, or are you interested in something a bit different with RPG leveling and character points distribution?

I can recommend Mount&Blade. An indie game that came out of beta about a month ago. It's basicly a medieval Elite/Pirates/Darklands game with RPG leveling and character points distribution. You can be a bandit, a vassal (you can choose from 5 factions) or a freelancing manhunter/bandit hunter and merchant extraordinaire.

There are no magic swords, armor or items, no potions to heal you instantly. There is tons of every type of real medieval weapons and armor imaginable. You can also train recruits, and watch them get more experienced and change their classes when they get enough of it (you basicly level them up to a biffed up version).

And what is more important, you can for the first time fight on horseback and be part of massive battles (average battle having 100+ combatants). Oh, and let's not forget castle sieges. Nasty bussiness that part of warfare. Very hard, but satisfying, when you gain a castle by no more than your and your men's brass balls and shinning steel.

Word of caution, though. If you're expecting some deep involved storyline forget it. You make the story of your own rise to lordship and your own kingdom (ala Conan) any way you see fit.

Mount&Blade

screenshots

official trailer:
    YouTube - Mount & Blade - Trailer: E3 2008

gamer's video (siege):
    YouTube - Raghnall - Mount & Blade - Siege of Khergit Castle

11. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Great game and i agree about the dungions.If you beat the first one you could use your saved data for the second one.Another good game made by the same guy is Devil Summoner.

12. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you have a Nintendo DS? Contact. It's by the same people who made Earthbound/Mother, IIRC, and it shows. :) 

ON TOPIC RE: PS2, THOUGH. I personally loved Dark Cloud - it's worth a shot!

13. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I also suggest Dragon Quest 8. One of the best RPGs I've ever played. I'd also reccomend giving FF12 a second shot, especially if you were enjoying it before. Ever played FF10? If not, give that a try too, it's pretty cool. Are you a Mega Man fan? If so, try trackng down Mega Man X: Command Mission. It's not exactly the deepest RPG, but it is still a fun little romp.

Don't be afraid to try Xenosaga. Yes it has long cutscenes, but they're not back to back, one after another, or anything like that. There's plenty of gameplay in it to enjoy.

A little off topic, but have they announced or said anything about a Dragon Quest 9 yet?

14. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

It's being released on the DS, with some online elements (grouping up and killing monsters).

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Easily FF12, unless you haven't played FF10. Both are great and almost seems like the only reason they aren't getting more credit is because FF is just to popular. Both are probably the best original PS2 RPGs available. FF12 has amazing combat, music, an amazing story, great play mechanics and its huge. You don't really need to grind unless you do the optional quests. You could play Dragon Quest 8, but all that is is grinding.

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

contact was actually made by the same team as no more heroes and killer 7, not earthbound. weird, huh? still a great game though, and definitely different than anything else you'll find out there.

17. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

This. I have yet to play this yet (read a SA Let's Play of it) but want to so bad. I typically cant stand JRPG's but this isnt your standard fare. It's a subsect of the Shin Megami Tensei RPG line and doesnt require any previous knowledge to enjoy.

Basic premise is this, you're an average high school student and discover something called the dark hour, an hour between days that few can see wherein shadows attack the human race. You fight these shadows by evoking something called a Persona to fight for you which serve sort of like this game's magic system. It has a fair number of sim-like qualities as you need to make friends with people at school and around town to level the social link corresponding to that person which in turn makes persona of that type stronger. Combat is also unique in that you only control the main character, your teammates you can issue orders to through different AI settings and what not.

And did i forget to mention my favorite part? You evoke these personas by SHOOTING YOURSELF IN THE HEAD. Entirely Awesome.

18. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I finished FF12 yesterday and absolutely loved it. Thinking about giving dragon quest 8 a try next. Although I have an Xbox360, I seem to be spending most of my time playing games I missed on the PS2.