Need a bit of help...Gluing Heavy Weight High Quality Polystone

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SamiWCP, Oct 21, 2010.

1. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

This is what I got in the mail today..I'm beyond furious over this right now..I get an order in last week from KOToys..It's broken and missing a piece. I get an order in from China yesterday for some expensive family Mart stuff, the box was ripped and 4 items were missing..Have to wait for both people over there to resend and correct this..then I get this guy in today..eagerly awaited for almost a month now..I hear the box rattling around..I see the US Customs sticker marking it "Recieved Already Opened/Unwrapped" meaning the Chinese Customs went through it..and were kind enough to STUFF it back in there breaking everything from his head, to his hands, arms, back, legs, mirrors, chest..all of it! I've never ever had such bad luck with anything from overseas EVER..and these last 3 packages have all just been frustrating..and this, now being 400$ frustrating makes it even MORE frustrating..

[​IMG]

Now, I've given the seller 3 options.. refund me completely..or, refund me 200$ and I'll try to fix it..that's where this forum comes in..

I've had to fix other statues, and usually just used Superglue for little pieces that broke..But, I want/need this guy to look nicer..If I am indeed going to fix him, I want him--when finished..to look like he was never broken. Now, my question is..if anyone has worked in Polystone before..what's the best way of going about putting these back together? Is there a special glue that would be better than superglue, or more designed for this type of material? These are some VERY small pieces here, and I want to be able to get them all back together, without globs of glue showing through..Any help would be appreciated..and I guess I'll post pics of the WIP as I work on it..unless he just sends me a whole new one..We'll see.

If this is the wrong thread, I have no idea where it would go, so, feel free to move me along..Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :) 

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Sami!
    that really sucks.
    I've heard horror stories of customs wrecking packaging...

I'd recommend Zap-A-Gap on the polystone, works well. Just use the precision tip when applying.

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I'm in shock!!! :( 

I've had my share a problem with shipping... but this.. WOW :( 

I don't know how to help, but Google is always my friend :D 
    EDIT: F_R beats Google anytime LOLZ

PS. Goodluck with the process, keep us updated!

4. The_Jack

The_Jack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Where did you get this figure and how tall is he? I´ve been looking for something like this for quite a bit.

Sorry that i can´t help as ive not worked on this kind of material before.

5. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

It's a Popbox Collectibles 12" Optimus Prime. You can find him at BBTS, Tfsource, Ebay etc.

And thanks for the help Mike..What store carrys that stuff?

6. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I'm sorry for your troubles! That is HORRIBLE!! I ussually use Gorrilla Glue for things like this. It's worked well for me, but I'm sure there are much better things..... I wish I could be more help...

7. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Id say its in the right forum he just turned into a customs project, really sorry to see this, zap a gap would work great, Ive also had really good results with the Gorilla Glue brand of Superglue (not the regular foaming stuff). Good luck

8. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Horrible

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'd file some sort of complaint with the customs. That's garbage. They destroyed your property for no reason. As for your questio, most I can recommend is gorilla glue, or if you feel like you can afford it, drilling holes into the biggest pieces and added a pin or two from a TF or some thick wires PLUS gorilla glue. Smaller pieces could just be put back on with crazy glue.

10. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ugh I feel your pain... the stupid chinese customs totally mangled my package from heero, luckally the wst ultra magnus was fine....until I tried to store the helmet on the trailer like on the g1 toy -_-.

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Gorilla glue is for wood.

There is actually a small factory that makes polystone statues on my route at work. Hopefully I'll be close tomorrow ( trucks have GPS, so I can't go out of my way to go there ) and I can stop in and ask them what's best to glue it together.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    DO NOT use gorilla glue. it expands as it dries and will make a terrible mess.
    Hobby shops carry Zap a Gap, or pearl arts. easy to find online. best super glue there is for plastic.

13. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

Holy hell! Chinese customs did this? Oh wow I feel bad for you, I wish I could help but I don't even know what polystone is. Good luck with either getting a refund or fixing it though.

14. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *ahem* an Idea

Use this opportunity to make a custom Battle Damaged Optimus.....

other than that i'd contact the seller to send me a new one.

15. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And random car parts.....

16. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    China is the worst place for customs.

Have you checked restorers in your area to get a pro fix on it?

17. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

That's horrifying. It's not surprising considering the origin, but how awful you have to put up with this. You might want to do what some have suggested and talk with the seller? Especially if they're out of China, they might work with you simply because they know how their customs can damage things? (it's worth a shot)

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, this type of thread would need to be in Creative General Discussion, so here we are! :thumb 

19. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Well, the seller has finally replied..and in very broken english has said something along the lines of he's contacted Sideshow and is having them send me a new one from either their US of Asian warehouse..We'll see..Now, what to do with this guy?

20. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Try to fix it and display it until the new one arrives? Then use them for bookends :D 

f_r got it. Zap a Gap should fix you up. I started using that stuff and it is pretty great.