Customs: Necklace chain for Matrix?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Oct 20, 2011.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

So here's the story... last year I bought this necklace for my girlfriend. She broke up with me a few days later and I just got the chain back from her. It use to have a piece with her birth stone in it but I guess she lost that.

The thing is I don't know what to do with it now. I can't give it to someone else because that would be weird and I don't think the chain without the birth stone piece would be worth nearly as much as I paid for it.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with this thing and I was thinking... maybe it would make a good chain for the Matrix. I have the little diecast Matrix that came with RTS Rodimus and Cyclonus... some where... and I don't know what to do with that either because Rodimus can't even hold the damn thing. The chain is just a simple gold chain so I think it would work even though it's part of a woman's necklace.

Given the history and what it means to me, what do you think about using it as a chain for the Matrix?

2. ZombieBalls

ZombieBalls Drives fast

A woman's gold chain may or may not look right for that purpose (color and chain type), and if the chain doesn't mean anything to you and/or you can't find the Matrix, maybe you could just get some toy money out of it by taking it to one of those cash for gold places they have in malls and strip shopping centers. They couldn't care less about any original stone or pendant missing since they're just looking for the gold itself to melt down.

However, the price they offer you may not be what you're expecting since they go by the Troy ounce (I think about 10% off from a "normal" ounce) or maybe the Pennyweight (DWT) and then multiply by the purity (a number less than 1, ie:24kt = .999 but 14kt only equals .585 pure) so it's not like you can throw it on small scale and just figure it out by the price gold closed at that day without some calculation. I used one of those places earlier this year and got a few hundred dollars for a piece of jewelry that wasn't being used and put it towards a computer. For a second opinion, I also took it to a jeweler and they were within about $10 on their offer. The services through the mail though, I wouldn't trust.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, you could always start dating one of her friends. That aught'a light your darkest hour.

Seriously though, you might find something better in the rope/chain section of a hardware store. You'll still need some more parts (especially if you want it to be adjustable), but it'll cost you next to nothing, and it'll probably look better than the really thin shit that women's jewelry usually comes with.

4. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

You could go to Michaels and pick up a 36" chain that would fit the part very nicely and it's like a titanium look for about $4. Cut it to fit, save the rest for later projects :) 

5. SaberPrime

Well the Matrix which I found BTW, is the one that came in this set. http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/7/7e/TF2010toy_rod_vs_cyc.jpg

There are two smaller loops in the Matrix not counting the obvious handles where I want to loop the chain threw so the size of the chain is actually perfect for that.

The problem is when I looked at it the clasp piece won't fit threw the loops and I don't know how or ever if it's possible to remove the clasp and reattach it. I was also thinking maybe there's a way to resize the loops in the Matrix so it will fit. The size of the clasp vs the loops is only a very tiny bit off.

Also I was going to hang it around the neck of Energon Megatron because that's the closest thing I have to a G1 Galvatron but the chain is too long and it ends up hanging in front of his crotch.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is what I did. I had enough left that Wreck-Gar got a LOOOOONG chain.

If you do this, that chain better be gone, or else you'll pay for it. I can't say doing so would "light your darkest hour", though. In fact, it may just bring on the Chaos Bringer and multiple manifestations of said creature. Season finale of Tranformers: Prime could end up looking like a never-ending dance party in comparison. For some reason this image comes to mind, just not sure why:

[​IMG]

"This could be you!"​

Just beware.

7. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Perfect place for that pic allen

in my head im not imagining this said necklace going very well with the RTS matrix

on the other hand you did just give me a wonderful idea, using stormbombs chain for said matrix necklace would work out pretty good (especially since im not digging the ninja look)

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, craft stores have tons of chains for customs. Sometimes, you can get metal chains that you can intentionally rust for added effect.

9. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

i'm wearing the BIS matrix. i tried a gold one but it just doesn't look right. i got mine from ardens. i used a smaller silver chain and hooked it one each of the small loops. my bots can wear it and i can wear it. i just use a longer chain to wear it myself.

[​IMG]

the small chain came from a broken earring my wife had stashed away.

[​IMG]

the long chain came from ardens. 10 bucks i think. i tried buying from a regular jewelery store but they don't have one long enough for my huge neck.

10. SaberPrime

Actually... that does look better than the chain I have. It's about the same size but not as "girly". I was only thinking about using it because it's something I had on hand and I don't know what else to do with it. I'm going for the sell it option.

Oh and BTW, she's actually setting me up with one of her friends. It wasn't my idea, she's the one who suggested it.