NECA = not that great

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Red leader, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Has anyone noticed the nasty trend employed by NECA and also Mcfarlane nowadays where something is billed as an action figure when in reality it contains as much ''action'' as a loaf of bread.

I cringed when NECA got the license for Gears of War as I new all we would be treated to were glorified statues with 3 points of articulation, I love their new Ninja Turtles but is anyone else fed up with the lack of action in their action figures ?

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

If you're lumping McFarlane into that group, which admittedly you should for most of their stuff, you clearly don't have any Halo 3 figures.

I have no opinion about NECA because I've never bought anything they make.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I dunno, from what I've seen, Neca's toys have been getting more and more articulation, with some lines more then others. Only a few figures still follow the McStatue Syndrome...Though they really should improve their sculpting issues. The Kratos figures are GREAT, but the manly skirts really get in the way of the leg articulation, which are pretty damned schnazzy (pity they're all V-crotches, but it works well enough). :/

4. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Forget the articulation, their quality is unacceptable.

5. Thundercloud

Thundercloud Lone wolf

From my experience NECA seems to be turning their figures more and more articulated as the series move on.
    Many figures from their first series had like 3/4 points of articulation. More recent ones seem to have a lot more.
    Personally I doesn't bother me the lack of articulation. In fact I prefer it, as there is no danger of loose joints.

As for McFarlane, haven't bought anything lately from them. But it doesn't seem like they are following the articulated path. I think their figures have always had 3/4 POAs at most.

6. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Im looking forward to their tmnt line.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Castlevania figures, besides the Succubus, are actually really well articulated. However, thanks to their need to use harder plastic for hanging clothes, both Alucard and Dracula are extrememly hindered, which is really too bad.

Otherwise, I like Neca. I generally do as much research as I can on a toy and what I get never surprises me. I haven't actually talked to a Neca rep who's lied to me about the amount of articulation in their toys, so I have no problem with them. If you in general don't like statues, which is usually my case to but I make some exceptions, then a lot of McFarlane and Neca stuff wouldn't suit you, but that doesn't make them bad. On the other hand, there have been reports of quality control issues, but none that I have expereinced myself.

8. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Umm...have you bought anything from McFarlane in the past...I don't know...10 years (approximation)? The Halo 3 figures (which are nice, but too small for that price) are the first "action figures" McF has done in...I honestly can't remember how long.

I love NECA. Their sculpts of real people match a h3!!uvalot better than McF (only my opinion), and I've had less pieces snap on NECA figs, than on McF ones. :redface2: 

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    In their defense, Cyber Spawn 2 was pretty articulated. The rest, uhm...I dunno.

10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Elaborate please?

I'm really looking forward to the TMNT stuff, and they look like they have good articulation and the sculpts are just amazing. Is this gonna be an exception to the general NECA dislike, or should I be ready for some McF statues with these guys too?

11. Thundercloud

Thundercloud Lone wolf

Really? To me NECA's biggest flaw has always been the reproduction of a character's face. Their sculpts are pretty nice, but to me they always fail when it comes to the face.
    I've seen many people say their products lack in quality, but for 10/15 dollars (most part) they always seemed nice to me.

Can't really compare them to McFarlane though, as I only buy Spawn and that guy hasn't changed his smile in years.

12. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    :lol 

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Well, in terms of the Halo figures not being worth $10 bucks, I see very few people having problems paying $5-$7 for the 25th Ann Joe figures, and the Halo figures are quite a bit larger and more articulated. Though it is wierd that a small grunt goes for as much as Mastercheif or even the much larger Brute Cheiftan.

Most of my experience with McFarlane though are the Dragon series. What I hate is they often are packaged with the wings seperated, and the pegs they provide usually don't fit in the holes enough, or they are extrememly difficult to get in.

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like some NECA stuff. I've been a McFarlane fan for quite a while too.

But then again, I leave about half of my stuff in package too so the lack of articulation doesn't bother me. And even when I open them, they serve mainly as display pieces.

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Same on all counts. I've got a buncha McF's Movie Maniacs and NECA Cult Classics all mixed together. Both are/were pretty lacking in articulation, but I just don't care. For the most part, they're just there to look good on a shelf in their static screenshot pose. Fine by me.

Oddly enough, they both made their Aliens/Predator figs much more articulated than the rest of their stuff, and if I had to choose one subline to be so, that would've been it. Aliens should be much more fiddly than say, Hannibal Lecter.

16. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Umm... did you pay attention to what I actually wrote in that post you rushed to quote and critique? :)  I'm aware Halo 3 is the exception and not the rule with McFarlane. I SAID RIGHT THERE IN MY POST that McFarlane's stuff remains for the most part unarticulated statues, but the line does point at the promise they offer for the future. I think that new fantasy line they're going to do may include some articulated guys, though I'm sure the usual Spawn and SportsPicks junk will remain as they are.

$10 isn't even what most places charge for them, especially now that most Wal-Marts and the online Spawn Store are sold out (except the odd Jackal, poor ugly guys).

17. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    Pfft. "Read what I quote". C'mon, what do you take me for!? Someone who reads!? Come on! Jeez!! :p 

18. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    That's true, Wal-Mart was the only place selling these for $10 that I found, but they are also the only place I've seen selling the 'joes for $5. So, either way they go for about twice what the Joes go for.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm kind of surprised to see this thread now, and not ages ago. NECA, at least with their more recent game series figures (God of War and Castlevania) are boasting 14+ Points of articulation on their figures for the most part, so that's not my beef with them anymore.

I'll agree that I'm a bit worried more on the quality angle. Of my 4 Kratos' (GOW, GOWII, Angry God Armor, Regular God Armor), GOWII suffered a break to the ankle that's so bad that the only way I could repair it was to permantly affix the food to the ankle, losing that POA.

As for McF, I gave up on them years ago. 2 swivel joints and that they'd break on trying to open the package was enough for me. The Halo figures are nice, but at more expensive then Legendary Comic Heroes, DC Superheroes, and Marvel Legends for a much smaller figure doesn't work for me. (Nor am I that big of a Halo fan.)

20. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Piss poor paint, easy breakage, cheap materials. This is fine for mass market figures but not for expensive specialty market lines.