NECA Castlevania figures - Succubus

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by flywheels, Nov 29, 2007.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ** EDIT ** Pics added below and on page 3 of the thread.

I was pleasantly surprised when the postal worker hand delivered my new Castlevania figure just a few minutes ago here @ work. B/C I'm @ work I can't post any pictures yet, but I'll do my best this evening when I get home. For the time being, here's a loose stock photo I'm sure many have seen before.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/flywheels/1466584.jpg

That said, the figure is great! Packaged, it's a bit smaller than I thought it be as it came shipped in one of those USPS shoe boxes. NECA did a great job on character likeness (even though she didn't have a whole lot of detail in the awesome PSone Symphony of the Night game), but the figure is not poseable...at all. She has articulation in her shoulders/arms...and that's it. Her wings are moveable to a certain degree, but not much. They may come off, but I'm not sure. One thing that does come off however is her top.

Yup, you can opt for your Succubus to be "decent" or "skanky". I knew before purchase that there was a rumor her top would be removeable, but from the pic (above) it didn't appear that way. On my figure at least, you can see a little bit of skin between her outfit and the top, so I knew as I was taking her out of the package that the top was infact a seperate piece. It didn't seem to snap on in any way, so I pryed it a little w/ the dull side of a knife and pop, one side of her top came off...leaving a bit a black on the side of her boob. It obviously was glued to her chest, so I didn't bother taking loose the other side as my wife would kill me if I had a topless succubus figure displayed @ home! And for those who are curious, yes, nipples are present. The design of this figure was clearly meant to give people the option of displaying her covered or topless, but I'm puzzled about the fact that the top was glued on. Had I removed the other side would it too have left a mark? I don't know (and probably never will), but that puzzles me why NECA went that route. I'm going to try a little super glue to reattach the one side of the top when I get home, for now at least it stays in place with her arm in a down position.

I'm also puzzled at the image of the figure on one side of the packaging. It clearly shows her w/ more cleavage than when she is fully covered up, but she isn't as revealing as when the top is absent.

She also comes w/ an axe (that she can barely hold, other hand is molded into a fist) along w/ one of those annoying hunchback creatures ("fleaman" is it?) plus a small oval stand. I noticed that either the pegs on the stand aren't long enough or the holes in her high heel boots are deep enough as the stand just isn't very functional. That combined w/ the pegs are spaced out too far apart. From the neck down there isn't any articulation in the figure and her posed form doesn't allow you to easily insert the pegs into both feet...it's really one or the other. Even so, with the way her feet are positioned the stand still doesn't hold her up very well. Without the stand, she can't stand up on her own either...a disappointment.

Overall, it's a great figure (if you can call it that) and worth the $15 I paid months ago when I pre-ordered her. I'll probably track down Simon, Alucard & Dracula as well as they will make a perfect display pieces in my new game room. Succubus though will probably have to "hide" in my game room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black marks left on breast from the removeable top's glue...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got my set preordered since forever, hoping to get them soon. I'll have to think about how I'll display her... I might keep all sealed and only open the second Alucard for repainting...

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's cool but makes me a little dissapointed- I preordered a case of the Castlevania figures from BBTS and they haven't gotten them in yet. The Succubus is just a nice little bonus, because I am just happy to finally get an Alucard, Simon, and Dracula figure.

4. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I would really have preferred a Maria figure instead. But I guess they're saving Richter and Maria for a second wave (along with maybe Soma and Death).

Problem is, 99% of action figure sets never go beyond the first wave :( 

5. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I ordered my Succubus from Cornerstorecomics.com - surprised to hear that BBTS hasn't started shipping theirs yet.

6. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Wow. I didnt even know anyone made Castlevania figs. Do we know who's coming in further sets? (Wouldnt mind Johnathon and Charlotte)

7. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

with no word yet on wave 2, they're probably waiting to see the numbers, which usually means this is it. I did want a Simon, but he looks a little too "get to the choppah!" for me and dracula looks like the singer from Nickleback. (not saying thats good or bad, just saying) But I guess you could build a whore-army with the succubus. :) 

personally, I would've liked more stuff like that pixelated promotional Simon Belmont figure. retro ftw.

edit: I think it was Tomart or Lee's magazine that said way back that the chest was sculpted and painted before the top was glued on. Why? who knows...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  8. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Nice figure, but suck there's some standing problem and close to 0 articulation. I wanted to get Simon, but he wasn't availible alone, only as a set with the other 3 :(  To bad cause it was the only one I was interested in.

9. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check eBay. There are several of each of the 4 figures being sold individually for under $15 each. The other figures may be better...

10. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I'm not sure about Simon, but Alucard and Dracula may actually have decent articulation. Apparently those two were sculpted and designed by a different group then Simon and the Succubus. From the pics, it does look as if Drac and Alucard have more articulation.

Oh, and as for future waves, they would definitely need Richter, Maria, Death, and the Ferryman.

11. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

I do agree, we need more Castlevania figures. Richter or even Soma would be cool!

12. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    EEE! She comes with a hunchback!

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    That's a Fleaman! Very annoying little bastards.

14. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Yeah I remember them from the games. One of my favorite monsters next to the flying medusa heads.

15. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

While it's neat that Castlevania figures were made, it sucks that they're so unarticulated. Somebody get a hold of Kaiyodo and tell them to do a Castlevania Revoltech sub-line.

16. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I think that would be a great idea. I thought Castlevania (which I believe is just called "Dracula") was popular in Japan, and it surprised me there were never any toys. I'm surprised it took so long and had to be NECA to do it.

17. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    NECA toys are always bittersweet to me. They look really, really fantastic, and they typically make figures of properties I've always wanted figures for....but they're more or less statues. If I buy a Belmont figure, I want the guy to be able to pull off many cool poses with his whip. I like the Revoltech idea.

18. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they are going to be so unposeable, I'd rather NECA make them like the Masters of the Universe "staction" figures...poly resin statues w/ interchangable weapons & gear.

That said, I'll still buy the other 4 just because I want to support the Castlevania franchise.

19. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I've checked 3 Comic Book stores and 2 FYE's and can't find these.

20. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Heh. So they're taking a page out of the McFarlane book and making in-action figures, huh?