Nearing the end of Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pulverize, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Pulverize

Pulverize Predacon

Ive been watching Beast Wars the first time the past few weeks and i've just finished Other Victories. It's the best thing i've ever watched loving it :D . Just too bad im near the end, so should I go onto and watch Beast Machines or is it really bad like lots of people say?

Please help? :) 

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watch it and make up your own mind what you think about it, would be my advice!

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Its worth watching if you enjoyed beast wars. Some people like it, some people don't.

4. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

If you do watch Beast Machines, watch several episodes before making your decision to continue or stop.

I stopped after about 10 episodes or so, it just got.....well I wasn't liking it.

I think this holds true for most TF series. Just watching one or two episodes will never really give you an indication of the series.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Beast Machines hits its stride in the second season. First season is okay, but it really hits its stride in those episodes.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Beast Machiens is a fantastic show, the most well-written peice of Transformers fiction, but it is a lot different than BW or any other Transformers series. it has it's own concepts. A lot of people don't like how some characters changed, but the change is actually what you would expect given the circumstances, and how those changes amount to both good and bad things for the characters themselves.

It's best as a stand-alone series, but it's not bad as a sequel to Beast Wars. If you can accept change and understand the implications behind certain concepts, then go for it.

EDIT: Like Sol said, it gets a lot better in late season 1 and all through season 2.

7. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loved Beast Machines, almost as much as Beast Wars. My advice is to watch it with a grain of salt. Personally, I just made myself believe that BM took place a couple of years after BW, with Megatron breaking out of jail and taking over Cybertron while Primal's team was off on an exploration mission.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Beast Machines is really good. I've only watched a few episodes, but some of the storylines, such as the Tankor subplot, are fantastic.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, completely.

Watch Beast Machines at 4-6 episodes per sitting, at least; I think it works better as a mini-series rather than episode-by-episode. The first time I saw it, I watched both seasons over a I-don't-have-anything-else-to-do weekend, and I think it had a bearing on how much I enjoyed it.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Rewatching Beast Wars AFTER the revelation about Tankor, it makes a lot more sense how it all came together.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Definitely watch Beast Machines, it's every bit as good as Beast Wars. Yes somethings are different (I'm avoiding any kind of spoiler) but given the circumstances of the show it's not beyond comprehention for the characterization to be the way it is.

12. Pulverize

Pulverize Predacon

thanks all! I know it has a dark theme, vehicons and character changes but i'll give it a watch. :) 

13. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, yeah, giving the show time is an important thing. One of the flaws that was recognized by the writers is the length of time the show takes to fully explain itself - when you launch into the first episode, you don't have a *clue* what's happening, because it's all from the POVs of the Maximals, who don't know either. The setting has changed, some characters are missing - there's a big chunk of story missing between the end of Beast Wars and the start of Beast Machines. THIS was a big bone of contention for people when the show was originally airing. You don't get the gaps filled in until a little over halfway into the season. So you should give it to then, at least.

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    It's a very well done show. There are a few times when the characters act a bit derailed (particularly Rattrap and...some other guy that I won't reveal, seeing as you don't know the series), but not nearly enough to ruin it completely. A lot of hate for BM are results of exaggerations of that one flaw.

BTW, Nightscream is annoying. Try to ignore him.

15. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, especially since he is pretty much a Mary Sue character (with an annoying personality to boot). He is one of only two Beast Era characters that I can honestly say I dislike (the other being Scorponok).

16. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    For me Beast Machines is the most EPIC TF series ever.

You should watch it especially it's final battle is way more awesome than Beast Wars' final battle.

17. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

If you're a fundamentalist, you may not like Beast Machines. If you enjoy thought-provoking, unique, and innovative concepts, you should not go without watching it.

Beast Machines is incontrovertibly the most unique installment in the franchise, and certainly the darkest animated Transformers series. If you enjoy flawed, self-doubting heroes, BM is the show for you. Consequently, if you enjoy no-nonsense, utterly depraved (worldwide genocide, spark devouring), overpowered villains, BM is also the show for you. The Maximals rarely ever catch a break, many episodes end on a downer, and Megatron outsmarts, outmaneuvers, and conquers his opponents to a nigh-wankish degree.

Beware, there is some disparity concerning characterization between Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Some--like myself--would attribute this to character development, while others would opine that it is nothing but derailment.

All in all, I pine for another series that breaks the mold as Beast Machines did. Unfortunately, the unpleasable fanbase desires mostly G1 rehashes.

18. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I personally think Beast Machines brings these characters' journeys full circle since 52 episodes wasn't enough for me.

See it and you'll get what I mean

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Respectfully, I disagree, BM wasn't a good series.

90% of the first season was repetitive, treading water more then anything else. The start and closing of the season did move and move fast, but most of the episodes did not. The second season shook things up and did a far better job, but it's still not anywhere near the best series even ignoring the ending and as a series as itself rather then an extension of BW. The characters were bland and one dimensional while most of the series plots were just not that interesting. Sure it had its moments and the animation was the most fluid and dynamic and was a beauty to behold, but as a series, no, it's not even close to the tops in terms of writing or story IMHO.

I often thought the writing was subpar and overly heavyhanded more often then not and comparing the "morals and lessons" of the Oracle to something like, say G1's The Golden Lagoon isn't a bad way to illustrate that.

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i will say this, i use to be a naysayer of beast machines, for i never got into it as a kid and combination of what our fellow fans said, but i sat down and began to watch it and it was amazing, give it a chance