NCAA Football 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omegatron, May 19, 2010.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did a search for a 2010 NCAA football thread, and came up with nothing, so if there is one...SUCK IT, ZOMBIE THREAD!!!

Anyway, the big news over the past couple weeks is possible expansion of the Big 10. As much as I'd like to hope they're going for quality of opponent, I think they're going to go for 'who can bring more cable viewers to The Big Ten Network.' I realize Notre Dame is a long shot, but many of the other teams I've hear some mention of (Rutgers and Syracuse in particular) just don't seem to be teams that play a Big 10 level of football and deliver viewers. Missouri isn't a bad choice, and I saw Nebraska's name mentioned, and I think both of them would fit in well. Either way, expansion should help the Big 10 break up into two divisions and give them the Conference Championship that many have wanted for a while. Any other thoughts on the matter?

2. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, i have been reading about Notre Dame getting wooed by the Big Ten, but i doubt the Irish are gonna take the bait.
    i heard that they don't need the money (they got 5 Billion- with a B stashed away) although they should spend a little extra to revamp their program.

i just wish the conferences were set up to allow a playoff so that when the dust settles in January, the only reason anyone is bitching is because their team blew it, not because someone got "overlooked" by a computer.

3. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wish the Big 11, er, 10 would just add one more to make it an even 12. But they won't, and they are gonna screw everything up. Here is my take on what is going to happen, based on my unholy addiction to sports talk radio and various reading - along with some logical thinking!

Big 10 goes to 16 by adding 5 more teams (after ND snubs them again to remain independent) - Missouri, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers, and

By doing this, the SEC is forced to expansion (boo!). Texas and Texas A&M are added to the western division, South Carolina (who leaves for the ACC) is replaced by Georgia Tech in the East along with the additions of Louisville and South Florida. The SEC is 16 teams.

The ACC expands to 16 teams by adding Cincinnatti, West Virginia, Conneticut, and Syracuse.

The Pac-10 expands to 16 by adding Utah, Oklahoma, Colorado, Boise State, Fresno State, and Hawaii.

The remaining Big 12 schools - Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Baylor add BYU, Idaho, New Mexico, Air Force, Louisiana Tech, Nevada, San Jose State, UNLV, New Mexico State, and Utah State. I don't like this, cause it's too top heavy with OSU, Kansas, and TTU.

I really, really hope this doesn't play out. I don't want the SEC to expand to 16 teams, even though adding GaTech and Texas would be pretty incredible. That's just my theory, however, and I'm afraid that it will continue to grow into four super conferences of 16 teams. Really, what's the point in having conferences at all if it comes to that?

4. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Pretty simple, really. Money.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Texas would never join the SEC! Are you kidding me? Texas would never win the conference.... That BS, throwing for 8,000 yards a game doesn't work in the SEC.

I'm just waiting for the USC fallout. I wonder how the NCAA is going to come down on my beloved Trojans...

6. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    There's no doubt about it. I'm really, really against it, however. I think conferences should be capped at the 12-team mark. That keeps regionality and viability at the forefront.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    4 Superconferences= really easy playoff system. Win conference. Play 2 games more against other Superconference winners. Win championship.

Oh, and money.

8. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am just waiting for the expansion to include UCLA in the SEC.
    my neighbor was telling me about the expansion and superconference idea yesterday and i thought Oklahoma joining the SEC pushed the boundary of being a South-Eastern team.

i am not for the expansion, but am all for a simplified way of getting a Champion crowned.

and i wish i had the money, lol.

9. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Come on, guys, just add Nebraska to the Big 10, and replace them with TCU in the Big 12. BAAM! Problem solved.

10. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    makes sense to me

Report: SEC has expansion plan ready if needed
    I just can't imagine for the life of me why the Horns/Sooners would leave the big 12. When you look at that conference, they only have one HARD must win game a year, the red river shootout. After that, the Big 12 North has been terrible the last few years and even if somehow UT/OU lose the title game, they still end up in the BCS game lol.

If they go to the SEC... yikes..... It will be the 80's, 90's all over again.

11. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    corrected for you. ;) 

I still hate this idea. Yes, it would be cool as hell to have Texas and FSU in the SEC, but the in conference schedules would be so incredibly difficult you can forget about all the killer OOC matchups we have had the past few years - VaTech, Clemson, Oklahoma, and PSU next year.

Somebody fire Delaney before he goes from screwing up the Big Televen to screwing up college football. Douche.

12. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Of course, it would mean we could make Texas our bitch again on a consistent basis :D 

13. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol, That doesn't bug me one bit.:thumbs2: , USC fan...

and for the other USC fans on the board.... today is the big day. The NCAA might send the program into oblivion or a slap on the wrist.

Who knows.... the countdown starts.

14. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  15. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^Hey! Bugs me! A Longhorns fan here!!

TEXAS FIGHT!

16. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    GO Gators!!!

:2c: 

17. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol, your going to fight a lot harder if they join the Pac 10 or SEC.

18. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    indeed quote from Fanhouse:

so slammed indeed, Loss of 20 scholarship is gonna hurt come recruiting time.
    Reports: USC Punished Heavily by NCAA -- NCAAFB FanHouse

20. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    holy shite, that's cold... yet appropos.

this should make the next 2 years very, very quiet for them there cally-fornians.
    us 'bama kids are whoopin' it up because we have even better reasons to dismiss USC.