NBC wants off iTunes, Apple says O RLY?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KidDynamite, Aug 31, 2007.

1. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I LOVE this stuff. Corporations engaging in public slapfights are the best.

So for those who don't know, NBC announced yesterday that they were going to pull their TV shows from iTunes in January because the two couldn't come to an agreement on pricing.

So Apple puts out a press release today in response. They're pulling NBC content off iTunes NOW, and reporting that the reason they couldn't come to an agreement was because NBC wanted to jack the prices up from $1.99 per episode to $4.99 per episode. FIVE DOLLARS AN EPISODE FOR DIGITAL CONTENT.

NBC are out of their minds of course. It's amazing watching these old media companies bumbling through decisions in a web enabled world. They're basically turning a solid revenue stream for themselves and via their own greed destroying it entirely. If they stick to their guns and go off iTunes entirely, they are throwing away millions of dollars of pure, free profit. If they successfully got Apple to agree to it, NO ONE would buy episodes at $5 a pop, and they would make less money total than they make now at $2 an episode. Yay to Apple for standing up to them and exposing this nonsense.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ore_to_stop_selling_nbc_television_shows.html

2. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    agreed.

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That is quite a jump.

I don't know where I stand with this. Digital media can be such a grey area. I can record and convert shows on my media center for free. So paying for a free show seems kind of silly.

I understand that series dvds are a big seller, $5 an episode seems like a complete rip off. That would be the equivilant to $130 for a season. When the DVD set would cost under $50.

4. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

....ah NBC out of their mind? Ill miss heros but pretty much that be it.

pooor NBC losing revenue to insanity thats sad

5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    NBC fails at teh Internets

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I don't understand why Apple would gripe about NBC raising it's prices. I mean, they would still have content, even if it was higher priced, and I doubt they would take much heat if they made it clear NBC jacked the prices up.

It would seem to make more sense that the two would bicker about what cut Apple gets.

*edit*

Found a full article on it. Seems Apple is pulling out because NBC is demanding the fees from Apple to have the content, which in turn would raise the price for the consumer.

Link

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Apple is griping about it because NBC wouldn't just be damaging NBC's revenue, they'd be damaging Apple revenue too. Apple gets a cut of the sales also and if NBC prices themselves out of the market and no one buys the content, Apple also gets hurt. Additionally, ABC, CBS, Fox, and CW all already agreed to keep their prices at $1.99. If Apple allows NBC to raise the price, the rest will want to do the same, essentially imploding the entire TV portion of the iTunes store, which is a solid money maker for Apple. Make no mistake, Apple's pulling of the NBC content entirely is strictly a power play; long term they'll come to some kind of compromise. Neither can really afford not to.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  8. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

All things considered, $1.99 seems too high as it is (for me at least). What's the point of digital distribution if it costs the same as a physical product?

9. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    odd....Apple continues to do plenty of cool things I approve of. I thought I would never say that, but this seems to be Apple's decade.

Whether they cave in before december or forge stubbornly ahead, NBC is going to lose. They just don't realize it yet.

This is round 3 or 4 in a constant fight Apple has already won several times - they are not going to get away from the flat-fee structure they have. Apple has resisted differential pricing ideas several times (for music) with good reason, and it's nice to see they're sticking to it again for video.

Ars Technica has a good writeup of the story, noting that NBC is trying to do this for all the wrong reasons. They also mention Hulu, NBC/Universal's new video store. It's ironic news, since it appears one or two headlines away from a story about Sony finally closing down their own long-dead Connect service, a prime example of why you don't go off and do this kind of thing on your own. NBC needs iTunes more than iTunes needs NBC shows, and Apple knows it. I would love to see NBC try launching their own over-priced overly restrictive service that will be completely ignored by everyone (especially iTunes customers), I'd love to see shows from other networks knock NBC's **** in the dirt, except that the morons at NBC will probably just watch Hulu crash and burn, then sigh and say that the world just isn't ready for digitally delivered content.

I say bravo to Apple for not screwing around and pulling the shows early.

Of course, this has zilch to do with me, the HTPC records and automatically transcodes the shows for me, all I have to do is plug in the Sandisk player and I take all of last week's shows on the road with me :D 

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

No loss for me. Nothing on NBC is worth watching.

11. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Apple just doesn't want the episodes sitting on their servers not getting purchased for 5 bucks. Don't blame them at all. Not like NBC provides the infrastructure for the stuff.

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I love how so many good ideas are ruined by bad management.