Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (aka Warriors of the Wind).

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by HordakFan, May 10, 2011.

1. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Awesome 80's animated masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki and made Ghibli's debut in 1984 when it broke records in Japan and became a critical fave.

It came out here in the states in 1985 from New World Pictures in a heavily cut from 117 minutes to 86 minutes cut called Warriors of the Wind and Miyazaki was not pleased with it. I saw that cut of this movie in a theater in the summer of 85 when i was 3 turning 4 and fell in love with it, my parents bought it for me for my 5th birthday on video. I loved it so much i even made myself a second copy taped off HBO and had 2 copies, i'd even watched it anytime it hit HBO as it was my favorite animated movie as a kid.

I never knew it was a crude edit until i saw the uncut fansub tape at age 15 in high school and still learned to accept WOTW but good thing we have an uncut fresh remastered redub but i still have WOTW in my heart and have that for nostalgia made on DVD-R and own the uncut Nausicaa on DVD and now Blu-Ray.

2. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    One of my favorites. Check out the original manga sometime if you haven't already. :) 

3. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Loved that film for years, been too long since I saw the newer version of it with Patrick Stewart, always remember the verson they showed all the time on Showtime when I was younger.. hope I can find that one somewhere again someday.

Need to pick it up in it's various forms sometime, but can just never remember when I actually have free funds :( 

4. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Did you know Hal Smith (Gyro and Glumgold on Ducktales), Linda Gary (He-Man and The Masters of the Universe) and Cam Clarke (the 1989 dub of Akira and Ninja Turtles) were voices in the Warriors of the Wind cut?

And does this movie remind you of Avatar at times? Cameron is a fan of animation and Miyazaki and used this movie as one of his inspirations. Same toxic unbreathable jungle where people need masks, similar helicopter design, similar insects, the village attack being the same like the Tomekians did and resurrection of tentacles, even the ending to Avatar was a homage to this movie.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

^
    ||
    THIS!!

Manga is brilliant. No wonder WOTW/Nausicaa is an awesome animated movie.

Like the OP, I grew up with WOTW. I watched the original Nausicaa and it is a much better and coherent film, but I prefer the voices from WOTW. The voice acting was spot on in WOTW. Edward James Olmos rocks.

6. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

It's awesome this influenced many stuff and James Cameron is a fan