Nanobots VS Cells (and evolution too!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by llamatron, Aug 30, 2006.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Possible Mild Spoilers.

Some people have been outraged that the TF's show up to earth as giant balls of nanobots (kind of) and are just made up of lots of nanobots. At some point in the film, the very flimsy idea is thrown out there that they evolved as a silicon based lifeform, as opposed to our carbon. In this handwaving kind of arguement, it makes sense that they would be made of nanobots, being the equivalent to our cells. Here's something exciting for you all, if you look close enough at a person, they're just made up of lots of little tiny cells! ZOMG! In a similiar way, Transformers are made up of lots of little ROBOCELLS - or Nanobots if you wish. Uh, that's about as far as I've come with this, I just thought some people might want to discuss it further or say things like "right on brother!"

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    "right on brother!"

I agree, but I'm not really sure what I'm agreeing with.

3. Majin Tenshi

Majin Tenshi Member

I find this agreeable but not unconditionaly.
    Nanotechnology makes a lot of sense in the reformating process. Look at protoforms from Beast Wars. It doesn't take a major stretch of the imagination to figure they're largely based on nanotechnology which solidifies upon takeing form. A transformer can't be entirely gears and pistons after all. They presumably possess a good deal of electronic brain stuff, and to be "naturaly occouring" life forms that had to have a way of evolveing.

Of course, if transformers were pure nanomachines, they'd be like the T-1000, and while this is arguably more sensable, if they went this route there really wouldn't be a reason to call it transformers.

I'd suggest that for transformers to exist without being spontaneously created by something else, nanotechnology is a neccessity. I wouldn't suggest that it works on the level that the T-1000 does.

I think that it would be best to view the transformer parts we are allready familiar with as bones and nanomachines as bone building cells.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Don't forget the whole G2 issue with the splitting and whatnot. I've always been for nanites to be behind TFs, but at the same time, I like to see limits on that same technology. (As mentioned, to keep them from just being a mess of T-1000's.)

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I can imagine nanobots that wouldn't have a liquid form. In fact, it seems to make more sense for them to have a somewhat solid form, built up like tiny little legos.

Liquidish, formless ones would have to be far more complex for them to be able to "liquefy" and form complex shapes and parts. The intelligence needed to control them all would be staggering.

Then again, maybe it wouldn't. The nanites would all be similar, and the controlling intelligence could probably just envision what it wanted to do, and send some type of signal out to them that they would pass along (like a computer network), and decide amongst themselves which ones will become what.

I can actually imagine this type of technology becoming real in 40-50 years or less.

6. Majin Tenshi

Majin Tenshi Member

Liquid nanobots really would be easy to stay liquid at least. Think sand only smaller. It does get difficult to control them however. Energy patterns (electical pulses, radio waves, ect) would probably be the best way to command them. It might be difficult to screen out external influence since the nanomachines recieving ability would have to be fairly simplistic.

I have trouble imagineing a creature made entirely of nanomachines being a very good design. A sufficient shock could send parts of it away, possibly out of reach of it's control. The control issue. I can't immagine it would be as strong as an equal mass of stainless steel or some advanced alien composite material.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd accept them as being at least partially made up of Nanobots. It could act as a form of self-repair, like our bodies heal over time, a Transformer could heal minor wounds on their own.
    Not sure if they were all Nanobots, though, but I always used to pretend they could heal damage on their own if they were wounded when I played with them as a kid.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    TFs as exponential machines?!

um, yeah. what?