Nail polish fix?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ultrawave, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    >___> So I'm probably going to sound like a complete idiot, but what IS this "nail polish/superglue fix" I keep reading about? I know its used to make ball joints tighter and pegs clip together stronger, but how do you actually do it? o___O;

2. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

Just put the nail polish/superglue evenly on the peg or ball joint, let it dry by itself it'll add an extra layer to the plastic: thus tightening the joint ;) 

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

It's quite simple: first you pop the loose ball joint out of the socket, then you simply apply an even layer of nail polish or superglue. When dry, the nail polish/superglue has increased the size of the ball joint's surface, so when you pop the "ball" back into the "joint", the joint shouldn't be as loose as before because it's now a tighter fit.

4. Bilbo Boxhead

Bilbo Boxhead Geewunners GTFO

Just put the Super glue/nail polish on a ball joint, let it dry,put the leg back on and the jojnts tighter. Thats pretty much all there is to it

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It works wonders, by the way. My loose Razorclaw that came in the mail couldn't stand before. Now his leg joints are as tight as mint (tighter). Makes me wish that all my figure's joints are ball-joints, because I haven't figured out a good way to fix pin joints.

Do invest in a good bottle of nail polish.

6. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Just make sure the super glue is a water-based craft super glue. Regular super glue can fog and increase the chance of a permanent mistake.

7. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Instead of using glue wich can damage your figures, use Pledge Future floor finish.

8. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

That's why I recommend the water-based craft super glue. It doesn't damage the toy. It creates a clear, flexible bond that can be reversed and removed if you want. It tightens the joint great but with none of the nasty side-effects.

9. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When using super glue, do not put part back on ball joint while glue it wet. :D 

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Wow, this thread was a huge help :D 

11. LadyK

LadyK likes to lurk...

I suggest using good-quality nail polish, not the cheap stuff, if you don't wanna use superglue. I've never fixed anything with nail polish, but I do remember quite a few cases where I used cheap stuff and found it easy to just peel off when it dried.

I'm also kinda wondering where the person that came up with using nail polish for this purpose got the idea. o_O 

12. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    Yeah, thanks guys! ^_^ I have som superglue so I'll check to see if its the right kind, I dont want to damage my figures lol. What kind of clear nail polish do you guys recommend?

13. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Ive used nailpolish to create friction and tighter surfaces on more than just ball-joints. It can be used on almost any plastic on plastic area thats loose. Really a great solution for almost any looseness on a TF. I have a bottle of Mabellene (sp) clear polish thats awesome. When it dries its virtually invisibe, and doesnt come off.

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    put a tiny bit of toilet paper in the socket of the joint, much easier and has less risk and you can take it out if you ever want to

15. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    That's what I did to temporarily hold up a towel rack coming out of the wall once, lol.
    This is actually a pretty good idea, though I used paper towel (a bit stronger, but i don't think it's that much of a difference).

16. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Something similar to this might work for Henkei Thundercracker's arm missile launcher peghole. I considered nail polish/super glue but I realised it wasn't gonna work. Thanks for the idea... :) 

17. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    Yup, it is the easiest fix there is. I've had to use it several times. Most recently on Universe Powerglide and ROTF Chromia.

18. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I used Superglue on one of my universe Sunstreaker's ankles. Worked great - almost too great. Now it's so tight I need to pry it out when transforming... but it still works. I may have added too much though.

With superglue, I let it mostly dry (till it gets kinda tacky), pop the joint back on and MOVE IT with as much range of motion as you can. This will spread the drying glue a little more, and get some in the socket as well. Just be gentle with it... repeat the process a few times till you get it right.

I'm trying clear nail polish (Sally Hanson Double Duty - hey, it's what the girlfriend had on hand) on the hip joints of my Universe/ROTF Superion's Airrazor... gonna try letting it dry overnight and see what happens. Don't know if this is cheap stuff or not. If it works, great! If not, it'll peel off and no harm done. ...I hope.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Hasbro probably. Right after they bought shares in the nail polish companies. :p 

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    no prob, i actually have been thinking of doing that to henkei thundercracker if i ever managed to get one :(