Nah, Im good, you keep it. (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by kraven, Jul 2, 2011.

1. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Hey you, the guy who hasnt seen the movie yet, spoilers below!!!

Sorry if its been brought up but I basicly had 1 question that arose as soon as it happened and it was never explained.

Why did Sentinal turn down the Matrix when Optimus wanted to give it to him? I mean I know in order to make 100% sence of these movies you've got to use you imagination, but no matter how ya slice it, I cant figure this one out.

Did I just miss something here?

Thoughts?

Edit: Oh and another question actually, why did Megatron rush over to, what it seemed like, rescue Optimus from getting killed by Sentinal? Only to get and energon axe to the head... That too, I dont really get.

2. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

A couple theories going around are either he didn't feel worthy of it due to him knowing he was going to betray them or felt that Optimus had rightfully earned it.

3. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Maybe he felt bad because he was about to betray the guy? It's like (strange scenario) if you infiltrate a village as a spy for the enemy, end up being celebrated and are offered some kind of reward, you're going to decline and feel like you don't deserve it.

I dunno, that's how I thought of it.

4. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    He said it in the movie!

He felt that Optimus knew the planet and he wanted him to lead him because he knew more about it.

5. Number1sikko

Number1sikko Autobot

News Credits:
    I think he felt bad knowing what he was about to do. Maybe he still had some sort of heart left. He also let optimus live in d.c. when he could have easily killed him in seconds.

6. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

Megatron had just been convinced by Carli that he was being treated like a subordinate to Sentinel Prime. It was probably a heat of the moment decision to bust in on the two Primes, and who knows? Maybe Megatron wanted to be the one to defeat Optimus, kind of the way that Megatron took out Starscream in Transformers: Prime during a very similar scene. Maybe it was just bad judgment? Maybe he knew he was about to die and wanted to go down fighting? Personally, I like to believe it was the first option.

7. Stryker055

Oh... I'm resisting the urge to plug the DOTM novel like I've been doing in pretty much every thread... ugh...

Maybe he wanted to go out fighting. Yeah, that's it. Yeah...

8. kraven

kraven Decepticon

That stuff makes sence I guess but SP was pretty rotten to the core and serious about doing whatever it takes to save Cybertron, I wouldnt think he would turn down one of the most powerful things.... ever.

Yeah I know but SP had a plan and surely he knew Optimus wouldnt go along with it...

9. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think there are 3 main theories as to why Sentinel didn't accept the Matrix.

1. The Matrix wasn't required for his plans at that time, so Sentinel didn't need it. He probably would have taken it by force from Optimus should he end up needing it.

2. By allying himself with Megatron, and preparing to backstab Optimus, Sentinel developed a guilty conscience. He may have felt unworthy of carrying the very symbol of the beliefs he turned his back on.

3. Being as the Matrix pretty much contains the essence of the previous Primes, Sentinel may have though his deceit would be revealed. He would not have wanted his planned betrayal to be unveiled before it was time.

10. kraven

kraven Decepticon

That makes sence.

Its cool, man, I want to know! Im not saying I think it was stupid, its a genuine question.

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My guess is either:

1. As others have said, he was acting on some sort of principle (guilt over knowing he would betray Optimus later, feeling Prime had earned it, etc.)

OR

2. He somewhat arrogantly didn't care to take the Matrix because it was not crucial to his plan. Maintaining possession of that central pillar was more important, and the Matrix wasn't going to be any help in that department, and as long as he was successful he either dismissed Optimus (Matrix or no) as a threat or really thought that over time Optimus would come around to his way of thinking.

12. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Mmmmm I like thoses. Especially the 3rd one!

13. Stryker055

Oh, I get it. Since the Matrix is earned or whatever, it would turn to glittery dust as soon as Sentinel touched it, because Sentinel isn't deserving of it. Or something.

14. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i assumed the matrix was the embodiment of all good or something. remember in rotf how sam earned the matrix, you don't find it, you earn it. i assume since prime is just and wants to care for the humans the matrix stays with him. if sentinel touched the matrix it might show him to be an unjust person, who is willing to enslave all life in earth to restore cybertron. could have revealed his true character to optimus. kinda like what The. F.N.G. said, matrix tells all and shows all.

15. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    But that doesn't work then.

Same earned the Matrix, not Optimus. It should be just glittery dust in Prime's chest unless Sam earned it for Prime.

And when The Fallen stole it from Optimus' chest after he was revived, it should have just turned to dust again because the Fallen wasn't deserving of it.

16. Stryker055

Then why didn't the Primes turn it back into dust when The Fallen took it? Or, since they apparently live within it in some kind of spiritual form, why couldn't they just render it useless?

Oh wait, I'm thinking too hard. At times I forget all the plot holes ROTF had...

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can the Primes, regardless of whether they have "earned" it or not, wield it regardless then? That would seem to be the reality, considering it didn't turn back into dust on The Fallen, and it didn't turn into dust again when Sentinel was telekinetically (or whatever the hell was happening there) wielding it, though not quite touching it.

I guess the earning/dust part only comes into play with non-Primes.

18. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I still think the Matrix "told" Sentinel that he didnt want it. Like The One Ring from LOTR, implanting the need to take it, only working in reverse.

Cuz yea, he coulda been like Yoink!

19. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Prime did earn it, he fought tooth and nail giving his life for others and doing what was right to protect those who could not protect themselves. Sam earned it as well so it was basically just going from one worthy person to another worthy one.

And while Sentinel is *a* Prime, he's not one of the original Primes. The Fallen however is, he was one of the Primes who created the Matrix. Simple logic would suggest that The Fallen could use the Matrix regardless of his intentions since he already has a direct link to it. Sentinel, being only a descendant of Primes, wouldn't have the same control over it and probably wouldn't be able to make use of it in any way regardless.

20. 420bot

420bot ******

He did not want to lead the autobots again b/c he knew he was about to betray them anyway for the greater good of the race in his mind.

It is actually the clever scene foreshadowing that he is bad... that's what I got out of it.

If he was still an autobot he would have taken it, don't over think the scene it's Bayformers you guys are trying to hard at clever reasoning.