My Xbox is dying a slow death.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Got my Xbox 360 in Janurary of this year and ever since the start of August (ever since the last update is actually when it started) my Xbox has been having problems reading discs. I have no idea why but supposedly the disc drive is dying. If so then they why does this happen....

.....I put Arkham Asylum into my vertical standing Xbox this morning, it tells me the disc is unreadable (it worked fine yesterday, checked the disc and its spotless). I press OK. On the main menu it recognises that Batman is in my machine as it displays the picture for it and if I wish to install it, it does so without an issue. If the disc drive was dying wouldn't it fail to install and identify the disc at all?

How can it read the disc enough to install put not enough to play the game?

Is it possible there is more to it than my disc drive dying? Are they any known fixes or should I wait 'til the obvious outcome?

Thanks.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

If it's still in the years warranty get MS on the phone stat.

In the meantime; clean the laser.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

same thing happened to me. i would just repeatedly eject and close the tray, eventually most games would play.

4. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Recall that sucks dude, I would like to know how many TFW'ers have had their 360 break on them. Take Twin's advice and make the call better to be safe then sorry.

5. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ??why not just lay the xbox down horizontally?? i've had one since launch and she runs great.... keep it lying down and never had a disk reading issue... sometimes that vertical thing the disk shifts and becomes unreadable also vertically is how i've heard of most games getting destroyed

good luck.. u can always call MS but they have the worst support center in history

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

he already said the discs are spotless son, its not the horizontal thing causing problems here.

also i'm pretty sure their support center isn't that bad :) 

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you weren't in the UK, I would gladly lend you mine while you got it replaced. My friend borrowed mine and swapped HDs. It only took like a week and a half, so it was cool.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, but I double posted.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Thats a real kind gesture, I appreaciate the thought :) 

10. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I've had my Box for I guess 4 months now, had it since May. I've always had it in the horizontal position, because that's what the good people at the Gamespot I bought it at told me. No disc read errors.

I wouldn't say that it can't be the Vertical positioning, Smang... It could be part of the problem, yeah... just not the whole problem.

11. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I've had my 360 since a few weeks after launch, and have (so far) dodged the RROD. Instead, however, I've been plagued with the shittiest DVD drive this side of my overworked launch PS2. 360 drives are loud, but I'm convinced that mine is unique in that it's powered by a rotary engine. Also, mine throws DREs constantly, especially in Oblivion and Fallout 3, which access the disc a lot. There have been plenty of times where I've encountered the same issue as yours, where the console either has no idea that there's a disc in the tray, or it won't read the disc. Just the other day I got "Insert this disc in an Xbox 360 Console to Play" before ejecting and it starting normally the next time.

I'm riding this one out until it dies, as its far out of warranty, and then I'll buy an Elite. I need the HDD anyway, so for an extra $150 I'll get a newer, quieter, blacker, more reliable console.

My poor PS3 is so reliable, it's just begging for some more attention.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine does have issues playing DVDs. I remember playing Transformers Season 1 and it was stuttering and skipping. It was during the time that the DVDs were no longer easy to find, so I was worried that they were scratched, but it was just the player.

13. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    Add me to your list. Mine broke Monday, three flashing red lights after having video issues for about a week. Shipped off to Microsoft yesterday.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes, but you got lucky. You're didn't start off as a RROD. fortune shone it's lights upon you by giving you the Red Ring of Deadeth. As it was written, you now shall receive restitution free of charge.

15. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    Amen brother!:thumbs2: