My X-Box 360 and I, we're fighting.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kickback, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    So.

Awhile back (couple months ago) I posted that my 360 had lost the ability to read discs. Sad but true - no longer can DVD's be watched or video games enjoyed. Sad day. Been meaning to pick up another 360, but alas, haven't had the heart to dish out $300 on a whim, and seeing as it's not essential, I haven't - besides, Netflix Streaming worked, amirite?

So yesterday I log on to watch some Netflix and blam - X-Box Live no longer wants to register. Keeps giving me a shoddy message that my router isn't releasing the IP to the X-Box ... well uh sure it is, I'm online on my PC right now (via wireless) so I doubt that's the issue.

The strange part though?

It can read discs again.

I actually was able to log on Live last night and played Halo Reach with one of my best friends for 4 hours for the first time in months. It was so nice and refreshing, yet so different and alien at the same time.

I think my X-Box has AIDS.

2. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Xbox AIDS :lol 

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Gay coyote aids?

4. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    Gamestop.com was having a sale on refubished 360s with a 20 gb drive for 100 bucks. I replaced mine then traded in my defective one for 55 bucks pls credit for all the other stuff, controller, headset, etc.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'm on my third xbox. Bought a ps3 last week and it crapped out right away. That's what I get for buying used on ebay.

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I try not to buy electronics on ebay. The only electronics I've purchased on ebay and had success with is my Ipod. That was like four years ago and it's still working perfectly.

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

To add to this GS is doing an additional $50 trade in credit to upgrade your systems to the newer versions.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/

I've never had them check live and sometimes the clerk will allow you to keep your current Hard Drive for a few hours/day to transfer data.

8. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step. TFW2005 Supporter

^ I might have to look into that, it's kinda sad when I have more memory space on my PSP than my XBox.....
    but only if they'll let me transfer everything, that's only kinda sorta important

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

They let me take my HDD back home when I got the new slim to transfer data. That was back when the Slim was launched and they had that big trade in bonus on old systems.

10. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Was this before or after you downloaded the new dasboard update?

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    You're xbox sounds like a jerk.

12. Xeron

Xeron Well-Known Member

I've had similar issues with my xbox. Had a problem with the disc drive crapping out and not wanting to spin up sometimes. Ended up taking apart the xbox myself since it was no longer under warranty, ordering the same model of drive off ebay, and replaced it myself (however, if you do this you have to make sure to swap the disc drive's controller card from your old one to your new one. Apparently it's registered to the xbox and if you try to log onto live with a different controller card they'll ban you thinking its a hacked system).

I just had that problem with logging onto live a few weeks ago and it claiming that my router wasn't releasing an IP. Ended up having to turn off the system, disconnect the wireless adapter, turn it on, refresh the wireless settings, turn it back off, reconnect the wireless adapter, turn it back on, refresh the wireless settings again, and then it picked up. Stupid thing did it twice but after the second time I haven't had any problems. Maybe it was actually Live and not my system.

13. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    The only time I ever had a disc-based problem was when I loaded up Halo 3 some time ago. The main screen said "Play DVD" when clearly it should have said "Play Game" instead. :confused:  It never did that again.

14. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I am learning some woes of the Box of X. After watching a few episodes of Enterprise today I took a break to clean. I came back for more and it isn't letting me connect to Netflix. PS3 is fine. iPhone is fine. Computers 1 and 2 and 3 are fine. Not on the Xbox though...

And in retrospect I don't know why I didn't just give up and watch it on one of those...

15. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    this sounds like a good deal but with the xbox its probably only for the basic 4gb slim, so its really a huge loss if you do it, unless they give you a new HDD for it too but I highly doubt that

also if this disc thing started after the last update then MS owes you a new system

16. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

my og xbox stopped reading discs, but it was a hit and miss thing. i'd hav eto open and close the drive until it recognised the disc.