Repro/Sticker: my WIP Metroplex-some neat ideas and tricks!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ZedzDead, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was going to use the reflective tape but I ordered Reprolabels last night.

2. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

I am going to use everything; the tape, paint, and repro. :) 

3. ZedzDead

ZedzDead decepticon sabatour

Ebay:
    I love the repro label set. I'm gonna get it. I don't care much of their version of the cybertronian glow, but I think I've got that covered ;) .

4. ZedzDead

Ebay:
    OK gang, I know I've been lacking in response lately but I'm here now. Got quite a bit of vacation coming up and will be able to Polish up my 1st tutorial and start a few more. I was very happy how well it was received. So if anyone wants to throw out a request for a tutorial, or give me an idea, I'd like to get some feedback.
    Z

5. ZedzDead

Ebay:
    I would paint the face first. Masking off areas as needed. You can use a good chrome or regular krylon silver. I put the stock stickers on and then determined what stickers I wanted to apply reflective tape over and it grew from there. For more intricate stickers and cuts I would use the used sticker sheet and make a template for the cut.

My past projects using the chrome include my FOC G1 style Shockwave. You can use the chrome tape for just about anything. I don't have experience with the aforementioned chrome foil but the air duct tape goes on pretty easily and is very durable in case you ever get the urge to transform the custom; like I do:) .
    Z

6. Stormbringer85

Stormbringer85 Well-Known Member

Amazing work and brilliant idea, applying metroplex's stock stickers is hard enough as it is, and creating one out of this type of tape must take a great deal of precision and patience, I salute you for the brilliant execution!

7. Ragnaruss

Ragnaruss Maximal

Hey Zed, do you think its possible to paint on top of this tape with a translucent coloring? If it's possible that might be a good replacement for transmetal or just doing metallic highlights. I haven't done any painting myself but I've read tutorials and people suggesting mixing colored dye to future floor finish (acrylic sealer) then spraying or painting that over clear plastic canopies or windows. By the way your Metro custom is really awesome, don't know how you're able to do the thighs so well I love it.

8. ZedzDead

Ebay:
    Many Thanks. You can do that with future floor polish but it's a little messy against white should you make a mistake. Plus you run the risk of inconsistent coloring. Our you could use a blue sharpie marker over the tape to createa purple color and then seal before making your cuts.
    Try getting some clear colored film (I'm guessing you want purple over the red), take a strip of red reflective tape and use clear future in between to seal the film over the red tape. Press it down hard over night and then do your cuts. That's just of the top of my head.
    Z

9. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    any word on the reflective tape you used? manufacturer? i went to my home depot and they don't have it :( ...so it seems i have no choice but to buy online..let me know buddy

10. ZedzDead

Ebay:
    I used these products here. If you need me to get a few packs I can and ship them.

Attached Files:

11. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    Appreciate your help on this very much...i was actually able to track down the page from home depot and now I can go with that to my local home depot to check if they carry it...thanks a bunch for your help on tho buddy...can't wait to start putting metro together...

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Zed, do you have any updates here for us with your tutorial?

13. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It took me 3 or 4 tries, I lost count :lol  but I finally got a decent result using the chrome foil tape for the face. Sorry for the big pic, not trying to thread jack, and the thigh is still very much wip

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  14. ZedzDead

Ebay:
    I opted to only do the bits on the upper thighs that you see in the pics. There were just too many angles to cover. The face looks really good. I was too chicken to use the chrome tape on his face so I just painted mine. If you are wanting to do the entire upper thighs I would use a good chrome paint like I posted a pic of and just mask off the large flat areas then use the chrome tape.

15. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I wish there was a template to cut the tape with, I'm struggling trying to get them to match. How did you trace what you needed in order to do the labels Zedz?

16. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Make an exact color copy wherever you can find a copy machine that will do color. Then cut out the newly copied sticker sheet and use those as templates. It's helpful even if you've already applied some stickers, because their outline will still be on the sheet in most cases.

17. ZedzDead

Ebay:
    Your template is the sticker sheet. Just cut out around the area outside where the original sticker was. Stick that on top of the reflective surface, then make your cuts. Or you can simply put the original sticker on top of the reflective surface of the tape and cut out around it.

18. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    I just now found some of the reflective tape. Where did you use the white tape vs red tape? Did you use some of that tamaiya clear paint on the white stuff and where?
    Sure seems like a waste to let this thread die too soon.

19. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

That's pretty damned epic man!

20. axl6533

axl6533 the party is over. a new era has begun.

News Credits:
    i really want to do this but any good advice on how to shape the stickers especially the one thats on the right where it bends around to the side