My Wife Wrecked My Baby!! Has Something Like This Ever Happened To You?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, May 22, 2011.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado Standard Cab Long Bed with a 4.8 Liter V8 under the hood.

It has the tow package on it and everything. It also has an OEM bedliner as well.

I have also spent some money to get this truck the way I wanted it. I put new tires with chrome rims on it, bedrails on it, tinted the windows, put a K & N airfilter on it, put a dual exhaust on it, bug guard, etc.

I LOVE my truck. I was never the type of person who had a whole lot of $$$ to get myself a really nice vehicle. This truck was that vehicle.

I let my wife drive it because I live a long distance from work and the V8 would kill us on gas.

In the last year alone here is what she has done:

In January of 2010 she backed into the corner of a building and left a small dent in the rear bumper.

In April of this year, her and another woman backed into each other coming out of their parking spaces in the Ross parking lot. One of my dual exhaust tips got bent.

Then, this past Friday we were sitting at a stoplight with two cars in front of us.(I let my wife drive because she gets carsick in the passenger seat.) The light turned green. The Kia Soul directly in front of us didn't go. My wife did. POW!!

Luckily, everyone was alright. She ran right up the back of this Kia. The Kia didn't appear to have any damage at all. My truck on the other hand did. The chrome bumper has a large dent in the middle and is now sitting a little crooked on the front of my truck.

I am devastated. It's got full coverage on it but, a $500 deductable which we can't afford. We also can't afford to make a claim on our insurance and have the rates go up.

So, the point of this thread is to ask if a significant other has ever wrecked something that was important to you? How did you handle it?

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    It's just a car

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I hope you're not going to slap her around for this, or worse.

4. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I know it's just a car....and of course I WOULD NOT slap her around under any circumstances.

Above all she is more important than any material thing but, it is pretty devastating when you spend time and $$$ on something only to have it ruined.

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Sorry to break this to you man. But... your wife's a pretty crappy driver. XD

6. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Yeah I know....the guys at work would tell me "Man, I can't believe you let your wife drive your truck...that wouldn't be me."

And I actually stood up for her by saying "Nah I trust her....she's a good driver." Boy oh boy did she prove me wrong. The strange thing is, in the 7 years before all this happened she hasn't given me any reason not to trust her behind the wheel.

It's like she became a crappy driver almost overnight.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I felt bad for you until you mentioned it was a Chevy:lol 

Ford FTW:thumbs2: 

and yes, something like that did happen to me too

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/general-discussion/361124-my-car-stolen.html

I wouldn't consider the Jeep my "Baby" so it was upsetting, but I'll live (However, she is my ex now:D ). In your situation, I'm surprised the Kia driver didn't file a claim on you. Just because the exterior didn't have any damage, a sudden jolt like that could damage something internal:2c: .

8. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    not with a car, but with a prop I built... which actually cost more than my car at the time (and my current vehicle).

It was... wow, 6 years ago. I had just built my first prop proton pack for my halloween costume. For about 2 hours I ran around the house, being 7 again with a proton pack on my back, pew-pewing fake ghosts. I was having a blast.

My friend stops by, we chat, have a few laughs at my expense (he caught me pew-pewing... no innuendo!), and he asked to try it on. He had the damn thing for less than 30 seconds when he tries to pull the gun off the pack and snaps the gun in half.

I wanted to kill him. He laughed it off, I punched him in the gut. He stopped laughing. After a round of apologies, he left, I went back to work.... but man, it was never the same. It kept showing signs of breaking in different spots, all due to the initial break and weak spots that formed from me fixing other spots. After a final patch job, I managed to sell the thing for close to $2000 to fund my next project....

9. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I'm a Chevy guy all the way. Time for the Ford acronyms:

Fix
    Or
    Repair
    Daily

Found
    On
    Road
    Dead

Factory
    Ordered
    Road
    Disaster

Factory
    Ordered
    Rebuilt
    Dodge

Fixed
    On
    Race
    Day

Ok enough fun. The guy in the Kia is still having his bumper inspected internally so he might still end up filing a claim against us.

10. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I'm really sorry to hear than man!! THAT SUCKS!!

11. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Mistake #1. Don't you know women are terrible drivers, lol?

I don't have any horror stories like that, but I remember letting my ex-girlfriend drive my car a long time ago. Her friggin' terribly-impractical shoes kept slipping off the clutch pedal. I really thought she was going to tear the guts out of the transmission.

12. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After all the problems she's had driving, I think you share the blame for continuing to let her drive.

Being considerate is overrated.

13. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

My wife didn't get her license until she was like 22, as she really didn't have a need for it. I really wish she had more experience under her belt, as that way I could know for sure if her current crappy driving was because of inexperience or because she's just never going to be good at it.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yes. You just have to let it go. It's a fight you won't win. You could make her stop using your truck, but that would turn into her asking why and you explaining why, and she would pull some crap you did out of a hat and it would turn into a big fight.

It's just a car. When my wife put the first crack in my bumper, I was furious. But I'm in Chicago where there is street parking. Since then I have had a million knicks and scratches on my car, actually cracked out holes in my bumper, and someone also almost took off my passenger mirror. It sucks but again, it's just a car.

15. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:

Yeah I guess it's partially my fault because I was asking for it.

In the 7 years prior she had only one other questionable driving disaster. We had just started dating and we went to get something to eat at Wendy's. She hit the car in front of us in the drive thru...and the car in question was standing still.

I guess I should've taken that as a sign of things to come. LOL

16. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Yeah you're right. It's a no-win situation I threatened to stop letting her use my truck after the first couple of times....and it DID turn into a big fight.

I'm originally from Chicago (spent the first 25 years of my life there.) and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with the street parking. Watch out for street sweeping days too...or your vehicle will get towed!!LOL

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    This seems like minor cosmetic damage, you should be happy she didn't strip the transmission or get T-boned or smash the windshield or crack a piston head.

You own a car, sooner or later you will have problems, and these seem like pretty small ones.

18. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Yeah I know what you're talking about. I'm not normally a sexist pig but, I'm starting to believe that women really are terrible drivers.

19. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Women are terrible drivers to start with,and then when you throw in the fact that for some reason they need to be driving these big,giant SUVs,it just makes it that much worse.

20. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    You're exactly right...it could be worse. These fender benders she's been in have been pretty minor. And I'm glad she's alright. She's far more important than material things.

My concern is that she's traveling down a terrible path right now. She's had a string of problems driving lately and God Forbid the next accident is the "big one" that injures her or one of my kids.