Heavy/Scratch: my wheeljack waist mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Megatron31, May 10, 2011.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i decided i couldnt stand the squattyness of wheeljack and sought to make him a little taller and with the help of HXCPUNK23 i did

but still felt it was lacking something so i made a mid-section plate to cover the empty gap that remained

and it doesnt affect transformation at all

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

midplate
    [​IMG]

and one with his mold mate
    [​IMG]

thanks for looking

Attached Files:

2. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    personally, im not a fan of extending the waist that way. now the legs look way out of proportion

i think the only way to make him look taller is to do either a mod in the legs so they can extend. or swap pieces from tracks.

but besides that, your little upgrade does make the mod you did look a lot better

3. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

I drilled out my Wheeljacks leg sliders and modified the legs so that the extra height
    didn't cause the legs to flop around..all without using anything from tracks...

I also am not a big fan of the waist height adjustment, makes him look too out of
    proportion, his thighs are way too tiny for it to look right, which is why I went the
    way of the lengthening his legs.

That being said, it's your figure to do with what you like, and it does look better
    with the added piece, so if you like it, then that's all that matters.

4. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

out of proportion. body looks too long.

5. Megatron31

Ebay:
    well after reading your comments and going back over my pics, the pics i took really made it look quite odd (i think the hands shoub be in the mid thigh area to make it look more proportional) and doing the leg mod will not achieve that

it doesnt look like that in person (or i my have extended it to far in the pics (in the third pic the waist should not extend beyond the plate i made to cover it all up)

i am extremely happy with what i did, but i have to say the pics make it look pretty terrible

i maybe taking new pics later on

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    This mod looks good and does work. You just need to mod the arms and swing them down just a bit (it's a small gray tab that needs a shave under his underarm, then the proportion issues are pretty much solved.

I've attached images to show mine completely modded (still working on doing a cover for the styrene post). I'm talking, I modded the waist for height, I modded the legs to lengthen them, and I modded the arms to have them swing down a bit lower. All of these mods together make him more proportional. If you notice, I have a shot of the underarm, showing the gray piece. If you shave the small tab, it will let the arm swing down further (which I've shown in the two pics after that). This gives you what you see in the first few pictures. It allows the arms and legs to all become MUCH more proportional than what they were originally.

I don't know why people tend to think this waist mod makes things so out of proportion, when WJ straight out of the box IS out of proportion already. These mods fix that and give a much better bot mode and don't hinder the alt mode at all.

Great work on your mod, man!

Attached Files:

7. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i also did the arm shave (but it doesnt look like yours does i amy need to take a little more off the top as they say)

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I kind of agree and disagree. I really like what he's done here, and the waist plate is a nice way to hide the raised waist's skinniness.

I think the problem is that without dramatically extending the legs AND the waist, it does look a bit off. In this case, because his legs are still a bit short, the longer waist is more noticeable. It also doesn't help that Wheeljack has clear windows, so you see the narrow waist (even with the added part) pretty clearly.

My solution would be to swap in the Tracks leg parts to give him the longest legs possible, and maybe leave it there. I don't mind if Wheeljack looks a bit stocky.

Meanwhile, I'd leave the legs long on Tracks and do your waist mod to make him even taller (which feels more appropriate for Tracks for some reason). His darker windows will make the extension more subtle.

As a side note, I like the slightly slumped shoulder modification. Gives him a more natural stance.

PS: Just noticed that you removed the yellow from Tracks' sliding chest extenders... I think I like it!

zmog

9. Megatron31

Ebay:
    thats just the united version no mods done to tracks,

and if i could match the blue of his body i would make anther plate just like it for him and do this mod as well but maybe not as far of an extension.

wheeljack was just easy since i didnt have to paint him.

10. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

these mods are great. i might impliment them if i ever get my hands on a wheeljack!!!

11. The Wombat King

The Wombat King Ruler of a distant land

Ebay:
    I like my WJ squatty, but these mods make him look pretty cool. I really want to make these mods to Tracks. He's too short.

12. SMOG

Well, technically, G1 Tracks had a black waist, crotch and legs... so colour-matching the blue probably isn't a problem. :) 

Also, it would be hidden by his dark windshield anyway.

zmog

13. Megatron31

Ebay:
    true

14. shadowfall1976

My point was that the waist mod alone looked like a sort of gorilla, big on top, small on the
    bottom, it looks way out of proportion like that, I thought I posted that if the leg and waist
    mods were done together you would get a taller slimmer looking proportioned WJ... but I
    didn't, so I am now. Although looking better that way, is too tall for my liking which is why
    I did the leg mod alone, I also modded mine so that the arms can be slid back inside halfway
    once the head is raised giving him a taller (leg slider mod) and slimmer (arm slider mod) look.

Mine may have only gained 1/4 or so from the leg mod, but looks 100% better than the
    Squatjack from the package, and I like the windshield landing where it is out of package,
    to me that looks right.

But like I said, it's your figure, if you like it then that's all that matters. And it is a clean
    looking job, don't look all disfigured from cuts and all. I'm just suggesting that you try the
    leg height mod as well.

15. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i still might go back and do the leg mod but i am trying to figure out how i can do it a little different than hacking him up and leaving some akward things exposed, i really need a spare wheeljack to play with and i may do that if i ever find one at retail or on clearence.

but i still need to take some better pics as i was right (he should be the same height as tracks with just the waist mod and in the pics he is taller) so i let out to much of the waist joint.

16. SMOG

Absolutely the easiest way to do it is to just swap in the shin plates and thighs from Tracks (who, at this point, is probably easier to find in stores).

You'll then need to punch a very short pin on each leg to switch the ankle joints (WJ's has a wheel on it, and the other one doesn't). Then you just cut the knee-pads off the backs of WJ's legs (the Tracks shins)) so he can bend his legs again, and you're good. It's a really quick, clean mod.

You lose 2 things by doing this... the wheel no longer flips down, but stays in the leg (like Tracks), and you can't store his exhaust/wrenches in his legs (but they still attach properly in car mode, and and clip to his wing hinges on his back for storage... so no major drawbacks, in my opinion.

zmog

17. shadowfall1976

You can do the Tracks mod, but you first need a junk Tracks or waste a perfectly fine figure.....

I posted a tutorial on how to fix Wheeljack without using Tracks as a donor, and
    covering a lot of the slider front and back...it works and holds the legs tight, it works
    like using the Tracks parts, but why waste a good figure when you don't have to?

Just an example....you could always modify to your liking as well.
    [​IMG]

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...ations-wheeljack-floppy-leg-fix-tutorial.html

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like it. I was going to do it, but I got Lazy and creative at the same time, so instead of modding WJ, I just started re-working an extra Tracks into WJ. But if I ever decide to mess with Wj, your mod is great, and as HC said, I don't know why people are saying it's disproportionate, when the figure already was.

19. SMOG

Uh... because it's much faster, easier, and you get more height out of the Tracks shanks than you can by modding the WJ shanks... for a fraction of the effort.

Also, you don't need to "waste" a good figure. Tracks is currently more readily available than Wheeljack, so a $10 investment is hardly a big deal. But more to my point, if you're simply SWITCHING the shin-sections between Tracks and WJ, it doesn't waste a Tracks at all... it just gives you a complete leftover figure with shorter legs... which is prime fodder for a Throttlebot Freeway custom, or a Battlecharger, or any number of other uses. Who said anything about "wasting"? ;) 

I just think it's unnecessary to cut up and rebuild your own improvised higher Wheeljack legs extensions, when there is already a perfectly serviceable, factory-made part that does the same thing that's easily available. I'm just being pragmatic, that's all. :) 

zmog

20. shadowfall1976

Still don't see the need, and the same time spent hacking up a Tracks
    leg and having it look right is the same amount of effort and time just to use
    new plastic, took me not even 3 minutes a leg to do this, and I did more in my
    mod than anyone else would do, because I cut his fenders off and wanted a
    few extra places filled in...

And all the Tracks I have came across all had floppy legs as well and this takes
    care of it once and for all. And depending on how far down you drill, you can get
    just about the same height from WJ's legs, besides Wheeljack was never a giant
    to begin with.

I don't care about cutting a figure apart, and not everyone uses figures as
    parts for other customs
    , that's why UH, you can use Wheeljacks own parts
    for the fix, and for those who want to keep Wheeljacks wheel moveable...Tracks
    leg isn't an option without wasting more time to further hack the leg piece
    apart. I'm just being practical and a way to save money for those who don't
    want to waste money they may not have on a second figure, just because
    it's more available. And some may see buying a new Tracks as unnecessary
    to fix something you can just glue plastic to.

SO why the debate?, both are valid options depending on what your plans
    for future customs are, let the people decide which is for them...

Save money by doing mine, which I know is in demand anymore....
    Or if you're going to buy an extra tracks anyway yours....
    so why debate any further?

One problem, 2 solutions....